Any news on paid development?

Norvegia

It's not so easy. We have enough to pay a developer for a little while, but they would have to get familiar with the code first. That takes awhile and once you factor that in, there's not really much money left. We fell short of the amount needed to really hire someone full time (once you account for all the fees and then paying for shipping the perks). Also, there is the issue of code quality. If someone isn't really interested in our project and we can't pay them long term, then they probably aren't going to have much incentive to really delve into the difficult performance issues. Why would they want to start a project they won't have time to finish? It's highly unlikely that they would return and finish fixing whatever difficult performance issue they were tackling once the funds run out.

However, having said that, we are currently considering a potential paid development opportunity. :)

I may be wrong but even though linux supports ati drivers there is a lack of support mostly because of the differences between kernels. Moreover i don ´t think nvidia is well supported

I wonder about intel hd graphics though...

Another thing is with switchable graphics which you should only worry if you have 1-2 years old pc

• Like 1

RedFox has put some efforts in, no doubt. Though the megapatch might not have been seen as a trouble first, but we learn.

What really concerns me is if Philip is still around ... many rather difficult files I came across seem to be written by him .. even in the heart of the engine.

• Like 1

Why not use freelancer.com and just put up projects for specific tasks?

I like the idea of giving freelancers an opportunity in 0 A.D..

However, it might be difficult to make this work for both sides:

- For 0 A.D.it's vital that things really improve by payed work.

- For the freelancer it would be vital to know he gets the money for his work.

So for 0 A.D. it would be optimal to set some (well defined) goals and offer payment for a solution (after it is done and tested).

(the problem here is the "well defined" I guess since solving one issue e.g. should not result in adding a new (maybe worse) issue)

For a freelancer it would be optimal if the payment is guaranteed (if the issue is solved by her/him) e.g. not dependent on the team liking the solution.

I don't know if this can be solved.

Edited by FeXoR

Why not use freelancer.com and just put up projects for specific tasks?

there are even more websites too... looks like we both did our searches ;) i would have thought that with the amount of money donated a portion of it could still have gone towards some of the programming..

at the end of the day you have to excuse our passion for this game, we are so eager for the next release, its very playable now online and all that so i really want to see what the next one would be like...and i think i speak for many passionate players here too :)

i would have thought that with the amount of money donated a portion of it could still have gone towards some of the programming.

We have a candidate for the paid programming work, someone on the team who is very very familiar with the code. Someone you all will like very much. However, there are still some issues to work out to make sure they can do it and we're not ready for an official announcement yet on who it is and the details of their work.

at the end of the day you have to excuse our passion for this game, we are so eager for the next release, its very playable now online and all that so i really want to see what the next one would be like...and i think i speak for many passionate players here too :)

We appreciate the passion. You don't ever have to apologize for that. (y)
  • Like 3

We have a candidate for the paid programming work, someone on the team who is very very familiar with the code. Someone you all will like very much. However, there are still some issues to work out to make sure they can do it and we're not ready for an official announcement yet on who it is and the details of their work.We appreciate the passion. You don't ever have to apologize for that. (y)

I can twit this?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, omg, who is it. I wonder if we just couldn't start another fundraiser. If we start often enough then we might get enough for Philip even. Then we can pay you and RedFox too.

And if we have enough fundraiser to get enough aside for a huge amount of interest. Then we could lift off just directly to the moon just as we are. :D

If it's one of the team, we will like it anyway. External developers might do it just for the unimportant thing (the money). Though there might be exceptions.