New Alert feature ("town bell") : How many levels ?

Itms

Hi Temple

Thanks for confirming the bells use in A23. Like Lister, garrisoning all units was very handy when the enemy was running amok within your city. In the near future, would be nice to see this feature re-added but understand the reason for removing due to bugs, although personally, I didn't notice any of them.

:)

• Like 3

On 5/22/2018 at 4:21 AM, temple said:

Now "raise alert" tells nearby women to garrison and "end alert" tells nearby women to ungarrison and return to work. (There's also a bell at the market that tells all trade carts to garrison or ungarrison.) There were bugs with the town bell in A22 and it seemed like the best way of fixing them for the moment was to simplify the behavior. But we'll see what people think. There's certainly ways it can be improved for A24.

I'm pretty sure a mod could change the behavior back to what it was in A22.

Hi Temple,

Thank you for the feedback, regarding how it works now. And let's hope there are similar behaviour to how it was in A22, if not exactly the same... but as similar close to how it was. Did prefer the A22 Alert Bell, as to the A23.... So lets hope A24 can restore some of the behaviour... 

Any guys in the know, or have the skills to try knock up a mod-patch, to attempt to restore the functionality of the Town Bell to that of A22 for this current build please?? :)

Thanks, Lister

Top players in a22 and earlier very rarely used the second level of bell to garrison soldiers, because they could control the soldiers more effectively by selecting them (alt + drag the mouse to select only soldiers) and giving them orders.  When the soldiers need to garrison, it's better to handle that manually (select the soldiers, hold down ctrl, right click on the building to garrison into).  If you did that using the bell, many of the soldiers wouldn't even be able to garrison because the women would garrison first and take up all the space.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

You could just copy the offending file before that commit in a mod though keep in mind you won't be able to play with other people on the lobby who do not have the mod.

Hi @Stanislas69,

How would one go about that?? Is this the file that I am after...

C:\Games\0 A.D. alpha\binaries\data\mods\public\public.zip\simulation\components

And replace the file inside called "AlertRaiser.js" with the one from A22 ?

Would that work??

And for this Raise Alert issue, would only be used / played locally between myself and my brother.... or myself and work mates. Won't be using the Lobby feature.... Although only just discovered and joined that today... which is rather cool !! :)

thanks, Lister

Edited by Lister Of Smeg

3 minutes ago, causative said:

Top players in a22 and earlier very rarely used the second level of bell to garrison soldiers, because they could control the soldiers more effectively by selecting them (alt + drag the mouse to select only soldiers) and giving them orders.  When the soldiers need to garrison, it's better to handle that manually (select the soldiers, hold down ctrl, right click on the building to garrison into).  If you did that using the bell, many of the soldiers wouldn't even be able to garrison because the women would garrison first and take up all the space.

Hi Causative,

That's a good call, I didn't know you could select "Only" soldiers via that method. May try that later today when I get back... 

As I do see and experienced your point, when raising the alert and the women jump in the defence towers before the soldiers, which then means the towers are not as effective...  

So yeah, shall give that a try... thanks :)

Lister

• Like 1