===[COMMITTED]=== Ptolemaic Lighthouse

Enrique

Early WIP. I will probably get rid of the surrounding walls (althought they're historically accurate) to make the building footprint smaller, now it is roughly the same footprint as the celtic cranog. I will keep the rocky base (but better looking) as the base that will be standing in the water, I don't know if the texture for the that rocky base could be biome-sensitive, if not I will make them generic-rock looking.

post-13528-0-55590300-1383692793_thumb.j

I love the walls, but they feel a bit disjointed from the lighthouse atm imho

these models will be in relatively shallow water, so I'm not sure the rock is altogether necessary

If you're going to remodel it (it seems like you are) Might I suggest fractal geometric divisions in the stone rather than a sculpted cloud-looking one?

That's a little tough to explain

this video explains it much better than I can, its a very interesting watch, but I'll cut it to the fractal modelling bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=v-VN6Kg6dJ4#t=286

That was just a placeholder. You can obtain much more cool looking rocks (and triangle count control) by hand sculpting than auto-generate them with an algorithm (plus it has less artistic value :P)

What I would like to have for the rock base is to have biome-sensitive textures which I think it is not possible right now. Another thing I am wondering how to do it is the blending at the top of the base to use grass/dirt with the rock. I think it looks better without the surrounding walls:

post-13528-0-50046500-1383750122_thumb.j

Hmm, what about a block base? So it looks like your men are building it instead of summoning rocks from the deep.

I love the look of the tower though. The door could be scaled to the unit better. It's okay that the tower itself isn't at 100% scale. if the footprint of the tower+block base isn't much bigger than this, then the footprint should end up around the same size as a dock, which is great.

I would like to have for the rock base is to have biome-sensitive textures which I think it is not possible right now.

Since the structure is on a rock out to sea, I think it might look better if there was just rock and sand and maybe some tiles instead of grass and such.

We're not going for THE lighthouse of Alexandria

this is just a special building and should not give the feel of a Wonder type structure. A smaller, less fortified lighthouse works brilliantly with the footprint and in context with the other buildings

Yeah, what Enrique said!

Edited by LordGood
Enrique types faster than me