===[COMMITTED]=== Edfu Temple (Wonder)

DukeDiamond

Hello Folks,

As i heard of this Project i was stunned from the beginning.

It Looks awesome and Plays very very well (like the old Ages)!!!

So i started looking through the Forum and found some open Tasks.

I choose the Edfu Temple and started modeling yesterday. As I’m fully employed, i want to spend my spare time with modeling for this awesome game. I hope some models will find their way into the game even when not it’s nice to be here in this community to follow the process of it.

As I’m new to this forum and just had a few looks inside some helpful threads there will be the one or another question from my side which I hope you don’t mind.

So here is my first try on the Edfu temple.(EDIT: Did some Test-Texturing with the great textures you provide in the Game)

Today I want to figure out how your textures of the Ptolemies will fit into this model. (EDIT: Allready did some texturing)

Updates to follow.

Oh and please if I’m doing it wrong for your usually workflows don’t hesitate to correct me.

Thanks

Duke

post-15762-0-32383800-1383687102_thumb.j

post-15762-0-03699200-1383687104_thumb.j

post-15762-0-10756700-1383687105_thumb.j

post-15762-0-71311100-1383687105_thumb.j

post-15762-0-40969900-1383687106_thumb.j

Thanks for the warm welcome and your suggestions.
I croped a little from the back so hopefully it fit’s more into the game size for wonders.
And with the texturing there comes my first question (Sorry that it happend so early ;-)
For the front i need a custom Texture with all the stone engraved symbols!
I would do them on my own but what is the suggested size for such a unique texture and will it imported into a texture atlas (is there one for wonders if so i didn’t find it)???

And thanks again for your help!!!

Edited by DukeDiamond

Update with Textures from your Texture collection.

Still have to map the backyardbuilding and also some polycount adjustments but with 4812 polys so far i think i meet the specs with 8k-12k polys for wonders.

Try to keep under 6k polys with props etc.

The Pillars are cut into halfs to keep the polycount low (exept the big pillars in the backyardbuilding i have to adjust them later on)

Cheers and good night

Rolf

Edited by DukeDiamond

Hello DukeDiamond, welcome!

Looks like a nice start. Since it's going to be a wonder I'd like to have this temple fully decorated with paintings everywhere. We can use a mix of already in-game paintings texture (with transparent surroundings to use them as single planes on the brick surface) and textures from a small replica model I have around. The textures are actually photos I took from the replica, but the paintings and decorations of the replica are accurate (but not overly detailed). I cannot post them yet because I'm at work at the moment but I will post them in this thread soon. They will need some editing and color correction probably, but I made some tests in the past and it looked good enough.

Also if you prefer (or you think it could be useful) I can share these two models I made some time ago. I used several Edfu temple references to model it (they need some rescaling and fixing though):

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/uploads//monthly_05_2013/post-13528-0-15583500-1367674757.jpg

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/uploads//monthly_05_2013/post-13528-0-99929700-1367674773.jpg

Hi Enrique, good morning all,

thanks for your help fitting my first model to your in game graphics.

I'm looking forward to the textures you wan't to send me. This is very helpful!
Or i could do a request for original textures on the teams behalve on this website???

http://www.discoveringegypt.com/edfu1.htm

"I have no objection to people using the material on this site for Educational, non-profit purposes provided I'm credited with a link back to this site. If you wish to use the materials on this site please Mail me and ask permission. Please remember All Text & artwork is © Mark Millmore 1997 - 2013."

Could be useful for even more authentic stuff!

I used these sides and the plans from this sides to get as accurate in scale as close. If there are any concerns about it please let me now.

http://www.ancient-egypt.co.uk/edfu_main_temple/

http://www.nil-egypte.net/egypt/edfu.html

So should the temple have it's original size/length or is the cropped version ok? (Post from Mythos_Ruler & Prodigal_Son)

But it couldn't harm if you send me those models. So i can figure out some modeling tasks to match the affords of the game engine (transparency textures, multiple textures. etc.)

Also is there any chance to get a bit more upload size? (500kb is a bit less)

THX

Edited by DukeDiamond

Hmmm yeah sorry.
I was a bit to fast then (or .enthusiastic ;-))))

Should had asked somebody first before starting modeling!
Looking through the Art Dev. Task tracking thread and found the Temple with no one working on it. (Till yesterday when somebody put my name behind the #2220 Task ;-)

So I give it a try!
I didn’t know that there is still a model in the pipeline.

So should I stop working on it?

But anyway maybe there are some modeling tasks open that i could do?
If you want??? It was just an offer.

(But why didn't you tell me that in your first post of the thread ;-))))

Edited by DukeDiamond

Hmmm yeah sorry.

I was a bit to fast then.

Looking through the Art Dev. Task tracking thread and found the Temple with no one working on it and give it a try! (Till yesterday when somebody put my name behind the #2220 Task ;-)

I didn’t know that there is still a model in the pipeline.

So should I stop working on it?

But anyway maybe there are some modeling tasks open that i could do?

If you want??? It was just an offer.

It's okay that you're working on it. I'm just wondering if there is a problem with Enrique's models. We can always see if you'd like to give something else a try.

• 4 weeks later...

So... I started remodelling my old egyptian temple building and testing its new textures... I recorded a video of the remodelling session... I stopped recording when I realized that it wasn't a timelapse lol. I uploaded it anyway, so you can take a look at the current state of the model (still far from finished) but watching the whole video must be incredible boring ^_^.

So... I started remodelling my old egyptian temple building and testing its new textures... I recorded a video of the remodelling session... I stopped recording when I realized that it wasn't a timelapse lol. I uploaded it anyway, so you can take a look at the current state of the model (still far from finished) but watching the whole video must be incredible boring ^_^.

I captured my videos in real time Enrique, they can be shortened in an editor, even in windows movie maker :D

• 2 weeks later...

I captured my videos in real time Enrique, they can be shortened in an editor, even in windows movie maker :D

lol I didn't know that... I'm rather new to recording videos. The ones I made with camstudio were recorded as a timelapse directly (which helps with the disk space a lot)

BTW the temple is already on SVN, here's an in-game shot:

post-13528-0-03138100-1386681871_thumb.j

You can also take a look at two closeups in 0AD's moddb page :)http://www.moddb.com/games/0-ad

• Like 1