===[COMMITTED]=== Ptolemaic Elephant Tower

Sighvatr

Looks like to me that the howdahs likely had a wooden frame covered in stitched linen or leather. Stitched in the "brick" pattern shown on the terracotta elephant in your first image above. But as you are finding out, primary sources are scant on a lot of details, so we have to go on guesswork and what feels right (and what looks cool). I think the ancients were very colorful, certainly more colorful than the muted browns and tans we always used to see in Hollywood productions and old artwork. There's no reason to believe they would use /less/ color in their martial lives than they did in everyday life. Stelae and pottery show colorful cloaks and tunics worn by the men in Hellenistic armies. Some helmets even seem to have been painted. A Hellenistic army may have been a very colorful sight indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about not keeping up with you guys. I bought a new computer that couldn't run 0 A.D. for some weird error, and eventually the graphics card pooped out. I dug out my old computer, and I am resuming the development.

I am not liking the looks of the crenelations, and I could do the ledge some more tweaking to give the edges a look. Here is what I've got so far, and the blue layer is only temporary. This is without a speculation and normals layer.

tower_ele_zps8e7ab7a6.jpg

Edited by Sighvatr

Sorry about not keeping up with you guys. I bought a new computer that couldn't run 0 A.D. for some weird error, and eventually the graphics card pooped out. I dug out my old computer, and I am resuming the development.

I am not liking the looks of the crenelations, and I could do the ledge some more tweaking to give the edges a look. Here is what I've got so far, and the blue layer is only temporary. This is without a speculation and normals layer.

tower_ele_zps8e7ab7a6.jpg

From here that looks that they are too big. Maybe Adding the elephant model to you workspace would help you ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So after a month of patience my art gets overwritten anyways? The tower itself is not a difficult mesh to create. I do not mind recreating a different texture for the tower, but if you retexture it for yourself, then there is no point in giving me credit to the piece. That would be kind of a D move, bro.

Edited by Sighvatr
  • Like 2

So after a month of patience my art gets overwritten anyways? The tower itself is not a difficult mesh to create. I do not mind recreating a different texture for the tower, but if you retexture it for yourself, then there is no point in giving me credit to the piece. That would be kind of a D move, bro.

In the many many years this project has been active, every single artist's work has been edited or changed by someone else. Every single artist. It's best not to get too attached to any one specific piece of work and look at your entire body of work as a whole.

While I'm happy to see that the issue has been resolved, I think every artist needs to re-read the legal waiver and fully understand the implications of the waiver. I'm calling for this because this has been the third time in recent memory that I've seen this happen.

While I'm happy to see that the issue has been resolved, I think every artist needs to re-read the legal waiver and fully understand the implications of the waiver. I'm calling for this because this has been the third time in recent memory that I've seen this happen.

I don't think that's the issue. It's more personnal, when you model you give your time and a part of yourself to build something bigger. If it doesn't make it, i guess that's normal you become a bit angry. Showing it may not be the best idea, but some people need it.

I think we understand and agree that what's best for the game will win out, but it does not necessarily waive the personal connection between an artist and his artwork. To expect no attachment would mean a flood of BS detached artwork. What project would this be if that were the case?

We're no less intrigued of what more you can make of this elephant tower Sighvatr, If you're still up to the task, of course.