===[TASK]=== Seleucids Civ Emblem

Lion.Kanzen

22 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Nice coins.. From a design point of view, I have no strong feelings. The current emblem could use a remake. Elephant, anchor and bee seem to be a recurring thing, so why not... Maybe omit the writing to give more space for the anchor and bee? I really don't know, lol

The thing is have an elephant...

24 minutes ago, Phalanx said:

In my opinion, the most popular symbol of the Seleucid Empire is the anchor while, correct me if I'm wrong, the bee and the anchor are symbols of a particular dynasty or royal family.  But are all of our Seleucid heroes from the same dynasty or family?

Yes. The Seleucid Empire is the state ruled by the Seleucid dynasty, named after Seleucus I, who founded it; and all Seleucid heroes are Seleucid kings from the same family. The dynasty's symbols are the empire's, and vice versa.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by “most popular”?

11 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Yes. The Seleucid Empire is the state ruled by the Seleucid dynasty, named after Seleucus I, who founded it; and all Seleucid heroes are Seleucid kings from the same family. The dynasty's symbols are the empire's, and vice versa.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by “most popular”?

:..

Anchor was the symbol of Seleucid dynasty starting from the reign of Seleucus I Nicator in 305 BC, and it was used by his successors.[14][15] The anchor first appeared in reverses of coins with Alexander the Great's image in them.[15] Such coins with Alexander in them were very common in the Diadochi states.[5] Origins of the anchor as a symbol is obscure, but there are several theories about the origin. For instance, it may commemorate Seleucus' career under Ptolemaic rule between 315 BC and 312 BC. Another theory is that the anchor was a form of propaganda aimed at merchants to lure them back into Northern Syrian cities and their new harbors built by Seleucus.[15]

After Seleucus I's death, his successors began to strike coins with their own image.[5] Coins of the Seleucid Empire had imagery including a reigning king with a lion head dress, or Zeus on a throne with a sceptre and eagle in each hand. Certain coins portrayed a god or goddess, or in some cases they had a medusa, a charging bull or an anchor.[16][12]

Coinage struck by Antiochus IV Epiphanes can be considered to be iconographically innovative when compared to other Seleucid rulers. He is associated with various celestial attributes and symbols such as stars and rays about his head. Both Antiochus IV and Seleucus IV Philopator struck coins with the solar deity Helios. Another deity closely associated with reign of these two rulers and brothers is Apollo.[17

Reedit source.

There are a number of explanations:

*) Seleucus Nicator is supposed to have been born with an anchor shaped birthmark on his thigh. Like all subsequent Seleucid rulers. A story suspiciously close to another story told of Alexander.

*) Seleucus was fathered by Apollo who had given the mother (Laodice) a ring with stone engraved with an anchor (Justin, Epitoma Historiarum Philippicarum, xv. 4)

*) Seleucus was leading his army towards Babylon (from which he had been forced out by Antigonus), when he stumbled on a stone. Some would have taken it as an ill omen, but when the stone was dug up an anchor was found underneath and his friend and ally Ptolemy Soter convinced him it was a symbol of safety. (Appian, Syrian War, 56)

*) Seleucus

• 2 months later...