Art Dev. Task tracking

Enrique

Ancient farms would not be sown on an industrial scale like this, making them more stand-alone is probably the best option.

While not the size of a modern farm, even ancient farms were large, especially when compare to a house or even barrack. Some farms employ hundred of slaves.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

I have seen that video already. That guy makes a lot of errors in his videos (for instant: he says hoplites fought with spears underhand, and could only fight with spears underhand, which is wrong; he even demonstrate and he makes fundamental error) and a lot of assumptions. He says road is for driving animals, but why this particular road? he never say why he just wants to make a half-point. I would say that because this road does not have a fence, it is not use for driving animals; instead of assuming that the movie is dumb because all roads obvious use for drive animals so all road shoud have fence (lol). Why is the wheat not taller than Mr. Gladiator? Maybe because it is not fully grown, would he ever stop to ponder explanations? Only thing he says that is 100% right is about the middle of the road that should be trod by draught animal.

• Like 1

Why is the wheat not taller than Mr. Gladiator? Maybe because it is not fully grown, would he ever stop to ponder explanations?

As a farmer's son I can assure you that the wheat in the picture is indeed fully grown (the ears are only developed when the plant has reached its final height).

• Like 2

As a farmer's son I can assure you that the wheat in the picture is indeed fully grown (the ears are only developed when the plant has reached its final height).

Yes, I know, but we have to make allowances. You suggest that unit in game should disappear in wheat field because we make wheat is historically accurate?

Ha! i didn't know that Erik? Neat, I'm a farm boy too ;)

Why is the wheat not taller than Mr. Gladiator? Maybe because it is not fully grown, would he ever stop to ponder explanations?

Like the guy in video was saying... modern wheat is different than ancient wheat. Erik is correct, what was shown in the gladiator footage was "full grown". Modern hybridized wheat is bred by design to shorter stalks, it provides a better stand for the heavy heads of grain (sometimes 4 or 6 rows). The idea being that the plant should spend more resources on making kernels than useless straw. Ancient wheat was a simpler variety that looked something like this:

http://www.primegrains.com/prime-einkorn.htm

They didn't have modern chemical fertilizers and irrigation either... so the density of the fields was probably much less. Their yields were probably a 30% of what modern farming techniques can do with the same piece of ground today.

• Like 4

No, I suggest that when you argue about the accuracy of something, make sure what you say is accurate. That's all I'm saying.

Ha! i didn't know that Erik? Neat, I'm a farm boy too ;)

Like the guy in video was saying... modern wheat is different than ancient wheat. Erik is correct, what was shown in the gladiator footage was "full grown". Modern hybridized wheat is bred by design to shorter stalks, it provides a better stand for the heavy heads of grain (sometimes 4 or 6 rows). The idea being that the plant should spend more resources on making kernels than useless straw. Ancient wheat was a simpler variety that looked something like this:

http://www.primegrains.com/prime-einkorn.htm

They didn't have modern chemical fertilizers and irrigation either... so the density of the fields was probably much less. Their yields were probably a 30% of what modern farming techniques can do with the same piece of ground today.

You argue not about the game. How does your apply to game? +1 points to you

If you want accurate wheat then units will disappear into the farm. Romans also use sponge on stick to whipe their anuses. Point is, what part is worth convey to player and what is not?

Sorry, if I I caused confusion. My intention was not to insinuate that anything in the game be changed. I was just answering the question that was posed. :)

Games have inherent trade-offs that counter-balance reality with fun and practicality. Those either/or decisions are made all the time in development. At several points I remember emphasizing that we are making a game with 0 A.D. and not a simulator. True there is some educational value to games, but a game shouldn't be overwhelming with education to ad nauseam. Very few people will care about the historical accuracy of wheat, they would likely care more about the historical accuracy of units in the game. So we focused our time there.

I gave guidance to Mythos and did some of the texture work myself for the wheat and barley you see in the game. I'm not suggesting it be changed. What is in the game is sufficient to modern age players that represents wheat as a food source :)

EDIT - there was an idea in the past that you could make a selection in Atlas of multiple entities and save them as a "group". These groups could be then be added to a player's custom pallet of tools. So perhaps it was a collection of trees, rocks, shrubs and bushes - and you define/call that "TemperateGroup01" or something. Atlas saves (or "copies") the x,y (not z) and rotation of each entity/actor into that group xml file. This could then be recalled at any time later and "pasted" onto the terrain, conforming itself to the terrain. The group could be rotated like what is featured in the new alpha release video. The group would conform to the terrain and the z height would be altered for placement as required. I'm not sure if this was documented or implemented, but it might be worth looking into to achieve what I think is what your going after here with this farm idea?

Edited by Wijitmaker
  • Like 1

You argue not about the game. How does your apply to game? +1 points to you

If you want accurate wheat then units will disappear into the farm. Romans also use sponge on stick to whipe their anuses. Point is, what part is worth convey to player and what is not?

We argued about the validity of your objections to the validity of the video, which in turn commented on the issue of farms (or perhaps specifically on the image you posted which was relevant to the size of the farms), which was posted in a thread about dividing up the art tasks in general. In other words, we're all off-topic if you're extremely picky about it ;) But since we're not we can discuss things other than the game (as long as it doesn't take up too much space and isn't too unrelated to the topic at hand), I do think we can leave that excursion now though as I think we've said all we intended to :) (And no, that's not me trying to "get the last word", you're free to do so if you want to.)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...