Seeking development information on the AI

Hello everyone,

So I wanted to get involved with the project, and I see on Trac that current AI modules don't work well with water. I have searched for information on the AI but it seems all the related documents are out of date.

Can anyone point me towards the documents describing the AIs requirements, how the AI interact (interfaces) with the game engine and also where I can find docs on the current AI modules (Aegis?).

Thanks for reading,

Hope this isn't to specific of a topic for this forum,

Jmt

Hello,
I tried the game today for the first time. I've been waiting for a game where I would create an AI and this looks promising.
I located the AI script files in my game folders and it seems I can start my own AI based on e.g. TestBot.

My questions:

* Is there some way to run the game in some kind of debug mode where I can see some more data for developing purposes?

* Can I just "observe" the game playing itself?

* When is the AI code compiled? Can I see warnings/errors somehow? both compile time and runtime?

* Any other I should know before starting?

(Answering both of you) There isn't really a huge amount of documentation regarding the AIs, but there is an overview of qBot's structure. Apart from that wraitii's forum post regarding the development of Aegis are helpful too. Reading the code would be advisible too.

* Is there some way to run the game in some kind of debug mode where I can see some more data for developing purposes?

Enable some debug output in simulation/helpers/Commands.js. qBot and Aegis have a debug setting in config.js. There is also some colouring that can be used for some additional information in Commands.js and you can of course use the Dev Overlay (Alt+D).

* Can I just "observe" the game playing itself?

See the autostart part (also use quickstart) in readme.txt.

* When is the AI code compiled? Can I see warnings/errors somehow? both compile time and runtime?

The AIs aren't compiled at all. You can view warnings and errors either in-game (top left) or in interesting.html/mainlog.html (see GameDataPaths for the location depending on your OS)

* Any other I should know before starting?

Don't base your AI on the older APIs, those will be removed in the future. Maybe the Logging wiki page could come in handy. In case you have any questions joining #0ad-dev on QuakeNet should help too.

I have been running around in my SVN copy of the sourcebase with ls and cd, I cannot locate the AI related sources...

Can anyone provide some file names i should search for?

Thanks everyone for the info, I am revieweing the 'qBot' related content on the forum and the project site.

If Base AI API is going to be retired what will replace it?

Edited by Jmt2014