===[COMMITTED]=== Town Bell icons and sounds

Itms

I know what happens, try to reminder in IRC to the guys is quickly when you need a answer. I only use that when is a Emergency but is highly needed you talk with devs, because is a great feature.

Though we like IRC discussions, it won't help a lot to get icons :D

The code in the patch is good IMO, I still need to test it though (my SVN is a bit messed up, so I'll first have to clean the mess), but when it's tested, and some icons are available, it can be committed.

• Like 1

Though we like IRC discussions, it won't help a lot to get icons :D

The code in the patch is good IMO, I still need to test it though (my SVN is a bit messed up, so I'll first have to clean the mess), but when it's tested, and some icons are available, it can be committed.

Thank you Sandler, I think this patch can be included in A15, I hope in December is the next release or January?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Team, a new version of the Town Bell sounds with some variations. If you like this one, I can create several with variations. Look forward for your confirmation!:

http://goo.gl/Y7u2P5

You was missed for days what happen friend. XD

I want to help you, because I'm audio editor and very experienced RTS player, how you know the guys are interested in a horn sound than in a bell sound.

• Like 1

You was missed for days what happen friend. XD

I want to help you, because I'm audio editor and very experienced RTS player, how you know the guys are interested in a horn sound than in a bell sound.

A herald trumpet would be good for the 'Town Bell' (need a new name for this if we're going to use a trumpet). I don't think there needs to be multiple different levels of town bells. Just the town bell and then it switches to a "back to work" button.

Hi Lion, take a look to the past post. If needed I could ammend the sound and create just town bells. :dead:

Now even the alert isn't called bell town. And all I agree in ancient era uses horn to alert the citizen, and is true.

But we need differentiate from the attacking alarm. Can be good idea you open a post with a list of high priority sounds and I can help to collect an example and ideas that you can use. Based in historic event and scientifically evidence.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Hi team, I have created 9 variations:
I would go for the 06. Which one works better for you?

The 3 is not bad but needs something, the 6 can be but more like a horn and not so Artificial. 7 sounds like a Titanic's Horn, the other sounds like more for a Horror Survive game. its not bad but needs to be for 0.A.D.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ltms, thanks for your feedback. I'm waiting for further opinions before implementing. I think that we will be working on this sound features now that the A15 was launched and the team is focused on the next steps. There is a lot to do with sounds on 0 A.D. in order to make the game be different from the others RTS published.

Edited by LAVS

LAVS if you look rome total war 2 have good horn sounds, like soccer team supporters, a trumpet that do many levels of sound( tones I don't know, may be our Musician knows how execute that sounds to record a file and you can edit to improve

The sound is harmonious.

, and it's in second plane not in the first in this case.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone any new reference of other works based on Antiquity featuring alert bells ?

There's a 2011 film called "Immortals", based on greek mythology, in which when a small village is attacked, a watchman rings a big bell to warn the population. The bell is a big metal (bronze ?) cylinder with an opening so the cross-section has the shape of a "C", the opening turned downwards. The cylinder is about 1.5 to 2 meters long, 40 to 60 centimeters large in diameter, and 2 to 3 centimeter thick. It's attached to the roof by one or more ropes or chains attached to the middle of the sheet. There's no clapper, the watchman just hits it vigorously with a mallet.

"Immortals" is not supposed to be historically accurate, but I guess they didn't have the idea from nowhere, so it might be relevant considering it.

Edited by serveurix
  • Like 1