Good moments in RTS

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't particularly remember any game - I just remember The Zone, that 'hack' to get a cooler game/lobby title and info, joining different clans over time and switching from Random Map to Deathmatch (for Age of Empires 1 and Rise of Rome).

One map that really stands out would have to be that Age of Mythology map where it's just the giant trojan wall across an empty map. Two teams of players, one on each side. You started with ridiculous amounts of resources so it was essentially a 'super' deathmatch since you didn't really need villagers after creating housing, military structures.

Edited by Silver

Volo lo its suppose to be I want.

"Latin "volo" (which means "I want". Note that in Classical Latin V was pronounced like English W).

Plus *"lo" (which in Vulgar Latin meant "him", a mangled version of Classical Latin "illo").

Thus: volo lo: I want him. Which, semantically, makes sense because a priest wants him (the enemy) to join his side.

More probably, Ensemble Studios just made up "wololo" out of the blue. But you never know :-|

Who was that Maud person anyway?"

They didn't include Rome as a civilisation but included Roman elements, such as centurions and legions.

Since Latin is by far the most well known classical language, I'd say that if they did indeed create the term "wololo" based on existing words, it was most likely Latin.

-----

I just found out something else. There are also the Latin words "aio", which means "I say" or "I affirm". And "io", an exclamation of happiness.

So it could be: "volo lo, aio. io! io!": "I affirm that I want him.

http://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aoecgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,6243,,10

In italian this is: voglio, the verb is volere. Now in Spanish is different is : Lo quiero.

"Lo" really can be : him, it. "Quiero" it's "want".

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Volo lo its suppose to be I want.

"Latin "volo" (which means "I want". Note that in Classical Latin V was pronounced like English W).

Plus *"lo" (which in Vulgar Latin meant "him", a mangled version of Classical Latin "illo").

Thus: volo lo: I want him. Which, semantically, makes sense because a priest wants him (the enemy) to join his side.

More probably, Ensemble Studios just made up "wololo" out of the blue. But you never know :-|

Who was that Maud person anyway?"

They didn't include Rome as a civilisation but included Roman elements, such as centurions and legions.

Since Latin is by far the most well known classical language, I'd say that if they did indeed create the term "wololo" based on existing words, it was most likely Latin.

-----

I just found out something else. There are also the Latin words "aio", which means "I say" or "I affirm". And "io", an exclamation of happiness.

So it could be: "volo lo, aio. io! io!": "I affirm that I want him.

http://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aoecgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,6243,,10

In italian this is: voglio, the verb is volere. Now in Spanish is different is : Lo quiero.

"Lo" really can be : him, it. "Quiero" it's "want".

I really didn't know that....

And AOE in the rise of Rome expansion did include Rome.... But really... In my honest opinion the buildings were fine. But the military units art sucked :furious: There is nothing "Roman" about them. That was always my biggest beef with AOE.

Honestly where does this

aoe_infantry.jpg

aoe_legion.jpg

Look like this

legionarymain3.jpg

000-3d-model-Centurion%204.jpg

Ehh..... Microsoft could of done alooooooooot better than that

The closest I've seen which resembles anything like above which is actually AOM units made by purple design studio

picture143.png

Edited by Romulous

I enjoyed Empire Earth 1 a lot. Very nice game.

2 and 3 SUCKS!

The 3th game, was the worst because they focus too much in ear his crowd , his players, his fan base, so like AoEo they mix cartoon style from Warcraft 3, 4 civilizations/factions decreases the stockpile resources, very bad actor voice scripts lines. Bad Ai, buggy game.

But the best of that game is the idea of a planned in campaing. So this time is the dark ages of RTS, where all great franchises fall.

It's important hear the fan but, you can lose the perspective, the canon.

• Like 1

Dark Ages of RTS ...... I like that.

Then 0 A.D. is the "Rome" amongst the @#$% ;)

Empire Earth 2 sucked immensely because of unlimited resources and not really good graphics either.

Empire Earth 3 ??? Is this even a game??? What is that? lol

Edited by Romulous

Even, Rick Goodman, father of many interesting RTS, retires from game making, his last game was Rise And Fall : civilization at War.

Was a successful game after, and when say after is when the game becomes freeware. The game uses a advances version of Empire Earth I engine.

He try to mix Battalion system with single units control system. You think is the first attempt to mixing Total war with old school RTS.

Sadly in the mainstream side of things RTS doesn't have a market. That's why it's dormant.

It will probably eventually come back "into fashion" sometime.

yeah after Moba's rule. May be the Greeks have right, the time is cyclic and the old is into fashion or be cool again.

Now with Empire Earth 2, is different from EE because is other Developer team and other Graphic engine. May be the worst I ever seen.

After first EE, I was play Praetorians, that game was bring whole new mechanics.

Units can hidden in grass. Stamina bar to toggle between run and walk, build siege units like building, burning grass and building.

Special abilities to units. Explorer with a wolf or hawk to seen beyond of sight line.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen