How to do a Skirmish Map?

comment:13 Cambiado el 68 minutos por ben

Estado cambiado de assigned to closed

Resolución establecido a fixed

In 13938:

Implements skirmish maps, based on patch by sanderd17, fixes #1198. Skirmish maps are like scenarios, except the player can choose their civ during match setup. To create a skirmish map: place some skirmish entities for each player in Atlas (see templates/skirmish/* for examples), uncheck the player's civ in Atlas' player panel if desired, and save in the maps/skirmishes directory. The map will appear in match setup under the "Skirmish" match type.

Implements custom, VFS-based map load/save dialogs for Atlas (replaces broken native file dialogs), fixes #631, #889.

Fixes map loading/saving to handle arbitrary subdirectories for better organization.

Adds default settings to Atlas player panel, fixes #1872. Each setting now has a checkbox to choose whether it should be saved with the map (avoids writing lots of useless default data for each map).

Adds map preview setting to Atlas, refs #1745.

Cleans up and simplifies some duplicate code.

Fixes optional serialization performance test.

I see this today. But if I'll follow that steps I can enjoy the scenarios as skirmish maps?

I was try with Savanna Ravine and still Greek settlement with Roman faction XD. No change the settlement and units, they are still the same than scenario.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

I like what hbruno has done with Atlas. It's great. Thanks for that.

@Lion. To make skirmish maps, it's about the same like making regular maps. You just have special entities (type 'skirmish' in the entity search to see them, they're in a separate folder). Those special entities are "dummies" and get replaced when the actual game starts.

Like if you put the skirmish CC on the map, it looks like a Greek CC at first. But when you start a game as the Mauryans, the CC gets transformed into a Mauryan CC immediately. You can make your own skirmish entities if you want for your mod. They just contain a definition by what they should be replaced.

When you save the map with Atlas, you need to save it under the "skirmish" directory to let people choose their settings. In Atlas, you can also disable some player settings (like player faction) to get a more default view (defaulting to random faction, 300 wood,food ... unrevealed map ...).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Short question concerning houses: Am I right to assume that one should place both the default_house_10 and default_house_5 for a Skirmish map (if houses are required)? It appears the game chooses according to the civilization the right house, so I can safely place two default_house_5 over one default_house_10 to use more or less the same space, right? Thx in advance.

Short question concerning houses: Am I right to assume that one should place both the default_house_10 and default_house_5 for a Skirmish map (if houses are required)? It appears the game chooses according to the civilization the right house, so I can safely place two default_house_5 over one default_house_10 to use more or less the same space, right? Thx in advance.

Default are Hellenic.

Good morning. Sorry, if I did not put my question right. The default_house_10 is Hellenic indeed, the default_house_5 looks more Ptolemeic to me. However, my question is if I can use for both types the same space, since only one of both is actually appearing in the game?

Example: If I place these houses in Atlas editor (note that both types are placed over each other), then I will get in the game for the Ptolemies this setting with two houses supporting 5 population and for the Spartans this setting with one house supp. 10 pop. Is this how it is supposed to work or am I screwing something up here? Thx again.

Good morning. Sorry, if I did not put my question right. The default_house_10 is Hellenic indeed, the default_house_5 looks more Ptolemeic to me. However, my question is if I can use for both types the same space, since only one of both is actually appearing in the game?

Example: If I place these houses in Atlas editor (note that both types are placed over each other), then I will get in the game for the Ptolemies this setting with two houses supporting 5 population and for the Spartans this setting with one house supp. 10 pop. Is this how it is supposed to work or am I screwing something up here? Thx again.

What you have done sounds correct. It is the problem with having different civs not having exactly equivalent buildings.

Thank you, Jonathan.

Suggestion: Perhaps in some future release of Atlas the skirmish default buildings could represent the largest possible space required by the civ.-specific buildings, for example by some wireframe, to make sure you don't get overlapping structures by mistake? Well, a minor issue...

• 4 weeks later...

sometimes, it's useful to overlap buildings (when you want to pack a big population punch in a small area)

However, it would be useful to have a checkbox so that when you do want it to look nice, you can make sure you do.

Even so, it would be nice to click and drag to create more than one house (like you can in Warzone2100)

Edited by thamlett