Germanic faction(s)

Arnthor

Stop posting about linguistic, if we do that how many factions can have? And is obviusly you forget political background they are not a single nation, in the first part all Greek speakers are split them. If you want a single faction for German you can say same for Greeks. And why every you argument about Celt and Gaulish?

Since the Celts in the game are called Gauls and relating to a location and language Gaulish. Just calling them Germanic would fit with this better?

The Germanic peoples (also called Teutonic, Suebian or Gothic in older literature) are an Indo-European ethno-linguistic group.

I thought the idea was having a main Germanic faction, with the Alamanni and etc. being sub-factions, in much the same way as the Hellenes and the Athenians/Spartans?

Stop posting about linguistic, if we do that how many factions can have? And is obviusly you forget political background they are not a single nation, in the first part all Greek speakers are split them. If you want a single faction for German you can say same for Greeks. And why every you argument about Celt and Gaulish?

There is a Greek faction. They are being split by city... Pagans did not have nations. They had confederations of tribes. I am not arguing about Celts, I am clarifying. How is DNA and archeology bad?

The word "history" means inquiry. Do you not like history?

I thought the idea was having a main Germanic faction, with the Alamanni and etc. being sub-factions, in much the same way as the Hellenes and the Athenians/Spartans?

Yes this makes sense. :)

Edited by greycat

for city? and Macedon, Seleucids and Ptolemies are not a single city. list the german factions think whst is best for game and think in other games like Rome Barbarian Invasion, how many faction you can put in 0 A.D with a single faction?

the difference is for most people, all know Gauls are mostly Celts, but are know as Gauls, Alemanni are Germans too, you are saying we can do it a single faction or do it many tribes?

if they dont are Gauls the Galatians can be named Celtatians in Asia Minor.

Germania is other Roman name for Germania Superior and Inferior

is for practical reasons is not for other, you want put a historic name you can name Romani to Romans and MaKedonia to Macedonia, is easy right?

imagine this For Carthaginians and Persians, you think the Carthaginians agree to see their name latinized?

the romans called to them Poeni or Punic in English but we dont name it Punics or Punic Empire.

Edited by Nolanjoker

for city? and Macedon, Seleucids and Ptolemies are not a single city. list the german factions think whst is best for game and think in other games like Rome Barbarian Invasion, how many faction you can put in 0 A.D with a single faction?

I was referring to City States Athenians/Spartans... I am not trying to argue but get ideas from people...We can talk history here?

Edited by greycat

the difference is for most people, all know Gauls are mostly Celts, but are know as Gauls, Alemanni are Germans too, you are saying we can do it a single faction or do it many tribes?

if they dont are Gauls the Galatians can be named Celtatians in Asia Minor.

Germania is other Roman name for Germania Superior and Inferior

is for practical reasons is not for other, you want put a historic name you can name Romani to Romans and MaKedonia to Macedonia, is easy right?

imagine this For Carthaginians and Persians, you think the Carthaginians agree to see their name latinized?

the romans called to them Poeni or Punic in English but we dont name it Punics or Punic Empire.

Yes this is the kind of ideas we should explore i.m.o . Options....I will try to respond to questions you asked.

Edited by greycat

but this a game or a book of history? you know in all media you can do things that are common for most people, a question you are from France? so you want name Celt to the Gauls and Britons name Celts islanders.

Think about player in all World, if we call Celtica to Gaul and Islander Celt to other what you think can happens?

I believe personally from ancient writers and archeology that the Celts and the Germans (Kelts) were anciently of the same people. But for game purposes and other opinions this may not work. They have unique characteristics also. We also don't know what Germans called themselves.

Edited by greycat

It would be hard to keep Latin names out because the Gauls language was replaced with Latin.

Edited by greycat

The problem I see with this is the scope of time the game covers. Some of those sub-factions only exist toward the later part of game?

The Suebi weren't mentioned until 58 BC, and the Alamanni 260 AD.

Edited by greycat

Keep in mind this is a Museum with a curator (keeper of a cultural heritage institution) not just a webpage.

http://www.keltenwelt-glauberg.de/en/research-centre/the-celts/

Who were the Celts?

Keltoi – Celts: this is what the population north of the Alps was called for the first time in Greek written sources about 500 BC. Unfortunately they have not left any literary tradition of their own, but on the basis of similar archaeological finds and remains they can be localised from the 7th/6th century in an area stretching from eastern France to Bohemia, from northern Switzerland to the River Main, although they probably didn’t see themselves as a unified people nor have a common language.

The Celts were an agrarian society, but one that was open to influence from the south such as iron-working technology (from the 8th century BC), the potter’s wheel (late 6th century BC), as well as coinage (from about the 3rd century BC), innovations which they also implemented in their own style and developed further. From the late 4th century BC, at the latest, the entire ancient world south of the Alps was to get to know the Celts more closely. Thanks to Celtic emigrants, adventurers and mercenaries, their traces can be found over an extensive area from the Atlantic coast far across the Alps to Greece and even modern Turkey.

From the 3rd century BC large, town-like settlements were established, known as “oppida”. Gaius Julius Caesar came into contact with them during the Gallic War from 58 to 51/50 BC. During the Roman expansion in the 1st century BC, the typical Celtic remains and finds gradually disappeared; the population here gradually adapted to the customs of the new rulers. In the southeast of the British Isles a few objects in the style of the continental Celts are to be found, but since even ancient authors did not describe the Britons as Celts, their inclusion among them is very questionable.

Edited by greycat

the faction are the full playable, sub factions are not in the game yet. Germans is the Name of the Civilization the faction must be Suebi or Alemanni, the sub Faction can be more little.

and but we can't name it all Germans factions as Germans for example we have Goths you can't mix with Saxons.

Kelts could also work?

AD 260 - Clement of Alexandria’s Stromala
I, xv, 71, 3 1 Thus philosophy, a science of the highest utility, flourished in antiquity among the barbarians, shedding its light over the nations. And afterwards it came to Greece. First in its ranks were the pro-phets of the Egyptians ; and the Chaldeans among the Assyrians ; and the Druids among the Gauls ; and the Samanaeans among the Bactrians; and the philosophers of the Kelts; and the Magi of the Persians.

Edited by greycat

There were Germanic Celts like the Belgae. Also according to Strabo (Greek geographer, philosopher and historian 64/63 BC – c. AD 24 .) Romans introduced the name Germani, because the Germanic tribes were the authentic Celts (γνησίους Γαλάτας).

why not Celt: German?

Edited by greycat