Germanic faction(s)

Arnthor

Hi and first of all thanks for the great game! A lot of work is yet to be done, but I think the core is pretty solid.

But, I was rather surprised to find that there are no germanic tribes in game. Come on, 2 celtic nations and none germanic? Germanic tribes were certainly present at that time, I believe Tacitus has a good description of them.

What's the reason of not including them in the game, at least as one faction?

• Like 1

Hi and first of all thanks for the great game! A lot of work is yet to be done, but I think the core is pretty solid.

But, I was rather surprised to find that there are no germanic tribes in game. Come on, 2 celtic nations and none germanic? Germanic tribes were certainly present at that time, I believe Tacitus has a good description of them.

What's the reason of not including them in the game, at least as one faction?

We'd really like to do them justice in the sequel, plus they were much more 'active' against Rome during the imperial period ("0 A.D. - Empires Ascendant" takes place from 500 B.C. to 1 B.C., while "0 A.D. - Empires Besieged" takes place from A.D. 1 to A.D. 500).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Germanic tribes lived during empires assedant, and i have some ideas for it!

* Rebuild the civic centre,, 6 celt longhouses wit h walls shrinking it, with a result as this

ger_civic_centre.png

* New Temple: /props/structures/celts/crannog_wall.xml

/props/structures/celts/megalith_b_2.xml

ger_temple.png

Mantain the rest of Biuldings, add a Kennel, use as fortress the celtic tavern, but with more size "22px"

in this fortess train:

* Naked Fanatics

* Flame Javalinists "Javelinists thah launches flaming javelins"

* Rams

* Heores "Aminius, Alaricus, Odoacrus"

the celtic building used for this factios are:

* Celt Barracks

* Celt Blacksmits

* Celt Hut as germanic house

* Celtc Market

* Celtic Soldiers "less campion units"

* Celt Dock and Ships + Viking Boat

* Brit Kennel

* Walls and Towers

• Like 2

The Germans would definitely get brand new art, including buildings, props, shields, textures, etc. I was thinking their buildings would be mostly wooden, including their Fortress, which would be the least expensive (maybe 500 Wood) and weakest fortress in the game. Wooden walls, bigger than palisades, but not as strong as stone walls.

• Like 3

The Germans would definitely get brand new art, including buildings, props, shields, textures, etc. I was thinking their buildings would be mostly wooden, including their Fortress, which would be the least expensive (maybe 500 Wood) and weakest fortress in the game. Wooden walls, bigger than palisades, but not as strong as stone walls.

I Believe that is a good route

structure cost health

civ centre 1000W, 160S, 100M 2000

barracks 440W 1300

fortress "big tavern" 1500W, 500S, 360M 3500

house "were small" 80W 300

Market 500W, 400S, 80M 1000

mill 300W 400

farmstead 300F, 400W 300

Stable 500F, 300W 500

Temple 400S 700

Farms 50W 100

Blacksmith 200W 400M 800

but put some tecnologies for example, reduco 30% wood cost for buildings, example

Barrabks 440 wood, to 260 wood, is a good trick!

This may be usefull. I also attached picture of German warrior 1 st century BC-1st century AD [Osprey]

Pre_Migration_Age_Germanic.png

1 is just noted as "The rider" looks like Suebic also. 2 and 3 are of the Suebic tribes. The shield is noted as Celtic style. The hair is dressed in the style of a "Suebian knot". [source: Osprey military history book]

post-15715-0-72447100-1381566924_thumb.j

Edited by greycat
  • Like 1

The hair style and shield are interesting. That can help to the modelers and other artists :).

And what are the names of these units? In old German ?

1 is just noted as "The rider" looks like Suebic also. 2 and 3 are of the Suebic tribes. The shield is noted as Celtic style. The hair is dressed in the style of a "Suebian knot". :)

Edited by greycat

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the town in Nepal see Gothi, Nepal

A depiction of a goði leading the people in sacrificing to Thor in this painting by J.L. Lund

A goði or gothi (plural goðar) is the Old Norse term for a priest and chieftain. Gyðja signifies a priestess.

The name appears in Wulfila's Gothic language translation of the Bible as gudja for "priest", but in Old Norse it is only the feminine form gyðja that perfectly corresponds to the Gothic form.[1] The corresponding masculine Old Norse form would have been an unattested **gyði.[1]

In Scandinavia there are surviving early attestations in the Proto-Norse form gudija from the Norwegian Nordhuglo runestone (Rundata N KJ65 U),[2] and in the later Old Norse form goði from two Danish runestones, the Glavendrup stone (DR 209) and the Helnæs Runestone (DR 190).[1] There are also a few placenames, such as Gudby in Södermanland, Sweden, that probably retain the name.[3]

Otherwise, there are no further surviving attestations except from Iceland where the goðar would be of historical significance. The goðar are depicted in the Sagas as the religious and political leaders of their district or goðorð. In Iceland, prior to Christianization, religious temples or hofs were privately owned and maintained by a hofgoði or temple priest. They were also an important part of the Icelandic political system for a long time after the arrival of Christianity.

The term goði is often used as a priestly title by modern adherents of various denominations of Germanic Neopaganism, especially in Ásatrú.

A goðorð or godord refers to a domain or an area of influence controlled by an Icelandic medieval chieftain, or goði.

See also[edit source]

Heathenism portal

Look up goði in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Althing

Allsherjargoði

Blót

Notes[edit source]

^ a b c An Icelandic-English dictionary by Richard Cleasby and Gudbrand Vigfusson (1874) p. 208.

^ The article gotiska in Nationalencyklopedin (1992)

^ Hellquist 1966:308

References[edit source]

Byock, Jesse L. (1993). Goði. Entry in Medieval Scandinavia, an Encyclopedia (Phillip Pulsiano, ed.), 230-231. Garland: NY and London, ISBN 0-8240-4787-7.

Hellquist, Elof. (1966). Svensk etymologisk ordbok. C.W.K. Gleerups förlag, Lund.

Jón Hnefill Aðalsteinsson (1998). Blót and Þing: The Function of the Tenth-Century Goði, in A Piece of Horse Liver: Myth, Ritual and Folklore in Old Icelandic Sources, 35-56. Reykjavik, ISBN 9979-54-264-0.

[hide] v t e

Religious practices and worship in Germanic paganism

Practices

Bless Blót Álfablót Dísablót Galdr Goði Hallow Lác Seiðr Symbel

Veneration

Deities Dísir Landdísir Trees Vættir

Locations

Hof Hörgr Sacred grove Temple at Uppsala Trollkyrka Vé

Categories: Germanic paganismGermanic neopaganismMagical terms in Germanic mysticism