Jump to content
Mythos_Ruler

Crowd-Sourced Civ: Seleucids

Recommended Posts

I was some intrigue with this.

r3eWPJB.jpg

Because is similar to Afgan hat, so I try to investigate around...

and found the Kausia Hat

oOfPduj.jpg

The kausia (Ancient Greek: καυσία[1]) was an ancient Macedonian flat hat.

It was worn during the Hellenistic period but perhaps even before the time of Alexander the Great[2] and was later used as a protection against the sun by the poorer classes in Rome.[3]

Depictions of the kausia can be found on a variety of coins and statues found from the Mediterranean to the Greco-Bactrian kingdom and the Indo-Greeks in northwestern India. The Persians referred to the Macedonians as Yaunã Takabara or "Greeks with hats that look like shields", possibly referring to the Macedonian kausia hat.[4]

JJmrRd7.jpg

A modern descendant of the hat may be the Pakol, or 'Chitrali cap': the familiar, and remarkably similar, men's hat from the mountains of Afghanistan.[5]

La1lNR8.png

hrHetJX.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should an official task be created for Seleucid unit design, like the Seleucid buildings task, or should we wait 'till the devs choose one of the suggested rosters?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@stanislas69 @niektb @LordGood

we alreeady have many place holder units here and don't advance too much , the buildings are fine.

I will take searching units examples... But can be nice take this task.

we have plenty cavalry examples, But here  are missing  infantry

lets help or help me to do this...

Arabian skirmisher can be nice an look easy.

H28yi72.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, obviously the Bronze shields and both two Silver Shield variants need to be there, but besides those, we're gonna need mercs, because realistically, the Seleucid battle roster was a lot like Macedon's.

The most reliable Seleucid infantry auxiliaries were Galatian and Thracian mercs

 

Cav:  possible reskin for Median cav, so they arent identical to the Persian cav.  They had light lancers/jav cav outfitted and who fought in the Tarantine style.

There were the companions, Greeks who were picked, and the Aegma, usually Medes who were picked.  Eventually, the companions armour was reduced a tad, and the Aegma werd armoured closer to cataphracts.  They also used Dahea horse archers.

Edited by SeleucidKing
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a kinda genius idea.....:

 

So, it's no suprise right now, that choosing the reform army over the traditional army is a no brainer.  The Thorakite Argyraspide is obviously better than its Phalangite equivelant.  But.... Why don't we have a similar system to the Macedonians?  Where the base champs are the Phalangites Argyrapides, then a "Seleucid Reforms" or "Roman Reforms" tech turns them into Thorakites Argysrapides, like the Seleuicd's plans at the time when they fell.  Obviously, the entire Argyraspides corps wasn't changed, but that's because they didn't have time.  But it would make Seleucid players feel less pressed when choosing an army.

 

P.S. On an unrelated note, Seleucius probably needs a new model, as he is identical to...I think Hanabal....  one of the Carthaginian heroes.

Edited by SeleucidKing
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2016 at 4:59 PM, SeleucidKing said:

I had a kinda genius idea.....:

 

So, it's no suprise right now, that choosing the reform army over the traditional army is a no brainer.  The Thorakite Argyraspide is obviously better than its Phalangite equivelant.  But.... Why don't we have a similar system to the Macedonians?  Where the base champs are the Phalangites Argyrapides, then a "Seleucid Reforms" or "Roman Reforms" tech turns them into Thorakites Argysrapides, like the Seleuicd's plans at the time when they fell.  Obviously, the entire Argyraspides corps wasn't changed, but that's because they didn't have time.  But it would make Seleucid players feel less pressed when choosing an army.

 

P.S. On an unrelated note, Seleucius probably needs a new model, as he is identical to...I think Hanabal....  one of the Carthaginian heroes.

I really like the choice between the Traditional Army and the Reform Army. It makes it strategic I think, plus give the Seleucid Empire access to more champion without oveerpowering. I have done some work to make the pike infantry and chariots better in DE ("massed pikes" aura for all pikeman, and "scythes" aura for chariots). Check it out when when alpha hits.

I think it would be better to think of a way to make the Military Colonies (for Sele and Ptol) more interesting actually. I was think of giving the MC's an upgrade feature to malke choice to turn it into a full-Civic Center or not. Civic Center (in DE) have less military things in it, but have greater health, territory effect, etc., but if maintain as Military Colony keeps a forward base access to more military units.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reforms are the kind of pair tech that I would like to see in 0 a.d, not a thing like choose between 5% attack or 5% speed.

Military colonies are better with HP and Attack? With the new models it seems so, don't you agree?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, av93 said:

Reforms are the kind of pair tech that I would like to see in 0 a.d, not a thing like choose between 5% attack or 5% speed.

I agree. So maybe for next alpha I redesign a lot of the tech tree for DE. I would like to unlock thing like with my Sidearms tech in the Blacksmith. Imagine a tech that give sidearms (knives, small swords) to archers so they can fight back with melee when attacked. Unlock this with a tech and now we are cooking with peanut oil. Unlocks and visual Upgrades are interesting.

 

4 minutes ago, av93 said:

Military colonies are better with HP and Attack? With the new models it seems so, don't you agree?

Okay, crazy idea. What if a choice between upgrade MC to a CC or to a Fortress?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe...... Though it would have to be expensive, and possible a pair tech for the MC between fortress and CC, but I wonder, could a fortress survive territory wise by itself, or would it eventually fall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SeleucidKing said:

Maybe...... Though it would have to be expensive, and possible a pair tech for the MC between fortress and CC, but I wonder, could a fortress survive territory wise by itself, or would it eventually fall?

Doable with the Upgrade feature already in the game (you can only do one Upgrade the object at a time).

 

11 hours ago, Zeta1127 said:

That reminds me of the idea of being able to upgrade an Entrenched Army Camp into a Civic Center for the Romans.

Already included in DE. :D Empire Phase ability.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: Has there been any headway on Seleucid unit designs research?  I can start looking at the Dahea horse, because right now they just turn into Persian units visually when they rank up.  I'm also gonna look into the Thracian falksmen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SeleucidKing said:

Question: Has there been any headway on Seleucid unit designs research?  I can start looking at the Dahea horse, because right now they just turn into Persian units visually when they rank up.  I'm also gonna look into the Thracian falksmen.

Nope, because nobody are working in there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly, could somebody make Seleucid specific textures for the thureos spears?  It's kinda weird to see the Seleucids with scarabs and Ptolemaic eagles on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...