Crowd-Sourced Civ: Seleucids

Mythos_Ruler

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I've been debating for a bit whether or not to do my "every five years post" about renaming the Sword Champion, and I finally decided to do it. I still believe that they should be labeled as Silver Shields. The corps has been listed as being 10,000 men strong and only 5000 were present at Daphne, with another 5000 royal guard units appearing "in the roman style." It has been hypothesized by period and modern historians that these 5000 swordsmen were in reality the other half of the Silver Shields, retrained into Thorakites to shown the future progression of the Seleucid army, but I am aware that this point is debated amongst this community. While I still believe that they should be called Argyraspides Thorakites, I will settle for at least removing the "Romanized" moniker. This has been a term used by historians to describe a number of late antiquity swords units, because the concept was make famous by Rome, but some historians say the transition to swords in many armies could be influenced by Gallic and Galatian forces, which were common mercenaries and proved effective in this time period, and that warfare was shifting from a rigid formation based affair into a looser more flexible style.  An alternate name if the Silver Shield title is not well-liked could be Agema Thorakites, or just Thorakites.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Royal Guard Swordsman? Thorakites Swordsman? 

Those would be a good compromise imo XD

EDIT: I'm just looking around to see what other "historically minded" mods for antiquity games call them, and majority I've found so far say Argyraspides Thorakitai. Roma Serrectum, Divide et Impera, Hail Ceasar, and a couple minor mods for games like AoE II classic and Rise of Nations all say Argyraspides Thorakitai. Divide et Impera names Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou or Royal Guard Thorakitai, but that is just a super lategame general unit, and DeI's roster still has Argyraspides Thorakitai. But I can't find any additional evidence for or against the idea. So I guess its just a matter of conjecture.

Edited by Phalanx
added info
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 09/08/2023 at 6:47 PM, Phalanx said:

Those would be a good compromise imo XD

EDIT: I'm just looking around to see what other "historically minded" mods for antiquity games call them, and majority I've found so far say Argyraspides Thorakitai. Roma Serrectum, Divide et Impera, Hail Ceasar, and a couple minor mods for games like AoE II classic and Rise of Nations all say Argyraspides Thorakitai. Divide et Impera names Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou or Royal Guard Thorakitai, but that is just a super lategame general unit, and DeI's roster still has Argyraspides Thorakitai. But I can't find any additional evidence for or against the idea. So I guess its just a matter of conjecture.

How the total war mods haunt us to this day.

You have evidence to back it up and if you don't it doesn't matter because we are simply thinking that variant civilizations could create when we have conflicts like these.

And we could have a variant affiliation that has them and others that don't have them but that's going to be up to the artists who want to do it if not the modders.

• Like 1