Security problem and possible solution

Hi, I have a question for you: have you never used some antivirus softwares on your personal computer? I use Avast antivirus, it is closed source but I never thought that it is NOT secure because its algorithms are hidden!

Because it is closed source, you simply can’t tell whether it is secure or not.

- "I see documentation about a library, which I cannot download until I register for your service. But nothing about the working of the API."

The algorithms used by Colobe are not public for a safety reason. Sorry if you can't download a sample copy of the library! Here you can download a copy of the library: colobe-lib.php.

That download host you've selected requires us to "sign up" before accessing the file. Can you host it somewhere more customary?

It's right, but I think that it's wrong say that the closed source security technology is not secure before trying it, or not?

I'm not making a claim about any particular implementation. I'm saying that in general, open source software is more secure because more people have reviewed the source. Closed-source software has been generally been reviewed fewer times by fewer people. And we have a long long history of proprietary software makers who simply ignore security problems with their products, even after they've been notified.

I am particularly suspicious of closed-source security software, since the risks are higher, and since we have seen examples of trojans disguised as security software. Nothing personal against you; it's just that you've been preceded by a lot of charlatans.

• Like 2

I'm not making a claim about any particular implementation. I'm saying that in general, open source software is more secure because more people have reviewed the source. Closed-source software has been generally been reviewed fewer times by fewer people. And we have a long long history of proprietary software makers who simply ignore security problems with their products, even after they've been notified.

I am particularly suspicious of closed-source security software, since the risks are higher, and since we have seen examples of trojans disguised as security software. Nothing personal against you; it's just that you've been preceded by a lot of charlatans.

Thank you for clarification.

Anyway I think that this forum or the site play0ad.com can try Colobe for a time period, then if the administrators will think that the service is bad (or other) they will be able to remove it. Because before of this post the play0ad.com site hasn't any system of protection for the login page... and I have uploaded into this thread the PHP file that is required from the service (and the WordPress plugin code is open source). Then, if some people in this forum think that my service (that I have made in free time, I'm a student) is not secure for this community (for any reasons) I will close this thread for ever. Simply :)