Crowdsourcing Attempt

SDM

Hi! I think that has abandoned the project, there have been no news for many months. However they could make avaible for the community the material already realized, so somebody else continues the project, or at least how much he has been done he can be inserted in the game, maybe like an expansion.

Edited by Iskandar

I know they have their own forum, but they also post here as well. And given that they have a sub board here, I don't see an issue. I haven't registered on their forums for several reasons.

It's possible that they're dead, but it's also possible that their development is just sporadic. History has supported the latter case enough times.

In any case, I have some pictures from sources in my university's library if the mod still plans on being being developed.

To be fair, this topic was made to see if any of the developers are still around. I'm really hoping it isn't dead because its the simplest 0 A.D. mod with a civilization that I'd love to see in the vanilla game.

Edit: Since some members of WFG are also devs of Scion (which I knew but wanted to find evidence before jumping to conclusions), I highly doubt this project is truly dead.

Edited by SypheDMar

• 4 weeks later...

I'll join in!

Images of architecture models from the Han Dynasty:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ceramics_of_the_Han_Dynasty_-_Models_of_buildings

Reconstructions of Han Architecture:

slqyoy.jpg

19300001338703133793646217067_950.jpg

117037e1ae2.jpg

010816.20075917_500.jpg

I feel that the current building set don't seem historically accurate enough, so if the mod is still alive and has room to change I hope these helps! :)

Edited by Ayakashi
  • Like 2

I hadn't considered looking through Wikimedia, but the Western Han house minqi pottery is a great reference for an in-game house structure!

Here are more references as promised. The sha, ge, and ji are all polearms. The jian is a double-edged sword used for stabbing and the jian are single-edged used for slashing. Please correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: Added a Han Crossbow reconstructed by Selby.

8w4s.th.png2s1f.th.jpg96h1.th.pngp7n7.th.jpg

0dzz.th.jpg69ns.th.jpg8rfq.th.jpg

17hg.th.png

dzl2.th.jpg

Edited by SDM
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Admittedly, this is the first time I've logged into this forum in months, and I wasn't even aware that the project had its own subforum until a few minutes ago. It's very cool to see how much interest there still is in the development of this faction, and we've always been appreciative of WFG's ability to restrain themselves from getting frustrated and just creating their own Chinese faction.

As of today, I'm accepting applications from anyone who is willing to participate in development. Send me an email using the mail link in my signature with a brief description of what you're able to contribute and what your availability will be like in the next couple of months. Artists, sound designers, programmers, writers and historians are all welcome, or perhaps you have an idea for a position I didn't even know we needed. Whatever the case may be, we need to build a group of people who are dedicated to turning this project into a reality, and we need you to make it happen.

• Like 2

We were actually considering developing special functionality for the fire ship, which would certainly require a bit of programming know-how. Here's some discussion on a couple possible routes we were brainstorming:

• Fire ships will gradually catch on fire, causing more damage to units within range depending on how long they've been on fire (i.e. how big the fire is).
  • Any object within one tile of the fire ship will catch fire
  • Unit with which the ship comes into contact with will stay on fire for a variable amount of time depending on how long it has been since the fire ship was ignited. Therefore, the distance from which you launch a fire ship will cause a significant impact on the effectiveness of the attack.
  • Not only will the attack cause more damage to units within range the farther it is away initially, but the enemy will be able to anticipate the attack and make efforts to prevent it - there are advantages and disadvantages to the distance from which a fire ship is launched.
  • After a while, the fire ship will sink into a smoldering pile of ashes, so the player can't just leave the fire ship to do his/her bidding.
  • Friendly-fire and damage to the player's own units is possible, and something that they'll need to be aware of and take into account when launching a fire ship.
Manned
  • Fire Ships can be constructed from docks.
  • Since they are manned, they can be controlled by the player right up until they are launched. They will not be on fire when they are constructed, rather the player will be given an option as to when it will be ignited.
  • The player will be given a button with which they can ignite the ship, after which the rower will leap off the side and the fire ship will no longer be under the player's control. Whichever way the ship is facing, it will launch (perhaps gradually picking up speed as to not look too ridiculous).
Unmanned
  • Fire Ships can be constructed from docks or tower ships
  • Since they are unmanned, they cannot be controlled once they are launched. The player can choose a direction in which to send the fire ship, after which they are completely independent.

Can someone confirm that this can't be done in the current Alpha? I'm hopeful that scripting/tabling will allow this to work without programming.

e: If it can't be done at the moment, I'm certain that it will be possible at some point in time. Suicidal Units, Aura Effects, and Damage-Over-Time effects have been a staple of RTS since Warcraft.

Edited by SDM