0 A.D. Financial Report, September 2013

Jeru

In the interest of transparency, the Wildfire Games team would like to report on the finances of the project as of 2013-09-04.

0 A.D. has funds in three places: (1) Funds earmarked for the project and held in trust by US-based non-profit organization Software in the Public Interest, Inc. (hereafter “SPI”); (2) A private account in the US, under the name of former project leader, Jason Bishop (Wijitmaker). This account is a legacy of the time before we became affiliated with SPI; (3) Flattr, a Sweden-based microdonation provider.

SPI Earmark for 0 A.D.

As of 2013-07-10, 0 A.D. has an earmark of USD 5743.51. The bulk of that (USD 4,140) comes from funds raised in two Pledgie fundraising drives in 2010-2012, which were only partially used (Links to fundraisers: #1, #2). The rest of the sum comes from other small donations, collected without any fundraiser.

On 2013-08-09, the 0 A.D. treasury committee and an SPI board member approved an agreement with contractor Jorma Rebane (RedFox) that will cost a total of USD 3,310, or approximately 80% of the Pledgie funds.

Under the agreement, Jorma is set to perform the following duties:

• To enhance the memory performance and allocation of the game, its GUI rendering and implementation, and add a new efficient and feature-rich text rendering module.
  • To overview implementation of code architecture and design decisions, while also consulting other developers.
  • To review patches submitted by other developers.
  • To assist the programming team in efficient task management.
  • To publicly report on his activities to the team and the fans no less than twice per week, with the intent of encouraging public interest in and engagement with the game, as well as inviting new contributions from the FOSS community.

You can follow up on Jorma’s contributions on the forums. Here is his activity status report for August 2013. So far he has worked on several performance improvements to the game, that will be readily apparent in alpha version 15.

Other Accounts & Total

In our “legacy” US bank account, we have USD 130.05.

On Flattr, we have EUR 276.06 available, which are approximately USD 363.87.

In total, at the end of Jorma’s contract, and assuming no more revenue, we will have USD 2927.43. This sum would allow us to keep contracting out work at the current spending level for just 9 more weeks.

Concluding Remarks

A monthly report of funds held by SPI in trust for 0 A.D. is also available on the SPI website under “approved minutes of past meetings“.

The 0 A.D. project finances are managed by the Treasury Committee: Erik (“feneur”), Kieran (“k776″) and Aviv (“Jeru”). We welcome your comments in this thread and elsewhere on the forums.

Thanks to all our donors. Stay tuned for the release of 0 A.D. Alpha 14 and the announcement of our biggest fundraiser ever.

• Like 1

Well I made a thread on the Ubuntu forums since Jeru was afraid of duplicate threads. Got a solid one person who said they contributed. Yay. Hopefully getting a few posts in the thread will make it pick up momentum.

I see the fundraiser is up to a solid 14k. Hopefully it will pick up. According to my math it has to average 3.5k a day to reach the goal.

Edited by MoLAoS
  • Like 1

Is interesting do a graphic for each day, I'm worried that average down in middle or final days of the Campaing, try to distribute, the word in other languages. Update Wikipedia, update blogs, social media, free the press, for example in Spain and Latinamerica Genbeta are a specializated blog for gaming, and several time ago they mentioned this project, but was a single time. They are Indie lovers XD.

Other is 3djuegos.com they have a little topic about 0 A.D.

Thanks for your help spreading the word, MoLAoS. It really makes a difference.

(Would you like a list of some more websites we would want to get some publicity on?)

Its only good to post on forums I already have an account on, otherwise it just annoys people that someone is advertising. Which really only leaves a few places.

What's the list and I'll see if I'm on any of them?

Well I made a thread on the Ubuntu forums since Jeru was afraid of duplicate threads. Got a solid one person who said they contributed. Yay. Hopefully getting a few posts in the thread will make it pick up momentum.

I see the fundraiser is up to a solid 14k. Hopefully it will pick up. According to my math it has to average 3.5k a day to reach the goal.

It will really need to pick up if it is going to even meet half its goal. The rate that the donations have been flowing in has slowed considerably, and is now at around roughly $300 a day. At the current rate, the fundraiser will not even reach $30,000 by the end of the campaign. I am afraid that the fundraiser is hitting donor exhaustion.

I think that they asked for too much. The major comments I got from people asked what they were getting from the game. They didn't care about open source or the graphical quality which are 0AD's main selling points. They wanted to know how it would give them more fun as opposed to just playing AoE2.

• Like 1