Simplified Graphics Settings Menu (for Alpha 15)

It may be too much to ask to plan for a full-featured Graphics Settings menu screen for the game by Alpha 15 (December 2013), because the config system may need redesigned and a GUI redesign is currently being discussed.

So, what I'd like to discuss is the possibility of a simplified Graphics Settings Menu screen for Alpha 15 and until the full-featured menu is ready. Basically just a simple screen that gives three options:

• Low: Basically everything turned off (e.g., nice water, shadows).
  • Medium: The current defaults.
  • High: All the whizbang featured enabled. All the stuff players currently have to enable by editing a local.cfg in a text editor.

Just select the option you want, then click 'Apply'. It'll close down the game and relaunch it with the appropriate settings enabled. Probably just writing a new local.cfg ("settings.cfg"?) and loading the game back up.

• Like 2

So, what I'd like to discuss is the possibility of a simplified Graphics Settings Menu screen for Alpha 15 and until the full-featured menu is ready. Basically just a simple screen that gives three options:

• High: All the whizbang featured enabled. All the stuff players currently have to enable by editing a local.cfg in a text editor.

Would this replace the current in-game settings dialog? Sometimes it is useful to only toggle certain options for testing, so I think individual settings should remain, maybe on a separate screen (there could be an Advanced button for that). And it would be nice if the main menu had a link to the same settings screen/dialog (i.e. factor it out of the session UI).

feneur: I'm thinking that's wrong. If we implement a coherent system to have options (not the mess we have right now in the c++ code. Seriously adding a new setting is horrible), we will need to have settings for each feature anyway, so it's actually easier to have them all layed out in an "advanced" tab. The actual work is getting the right settings for low/medium/high (and having a coherent "preferred settings" function).

• Like 1

Would this replace the current in-game settings dialog? Sometimes it is useful to only toggle certain options for testing, so I think individual settings should remain, maybe on a separate screen (there could be an Advanced button for that). And it would be nice if the main menu had a link to the same settings screen/dialog (i.e. factor it out of the session UI).

Well... this thread is about something simplified until we can add more advanced features, unless it would be just as easy to add the advanced features in the menu at the same time. Either way, I think the current in-game menu needs big redesign to go along with a full UI redesign.

Of course there should be :) I think Michael's point is that it would take a lot of time to implement that properly, but we might want to have something simpler in the mean time :) (If you want to tweak things for now you can use the cfg files ;) )

This. :)

feneur: I'm thinking that's wrong. If we implement a coherent system to have options (not the mess we have right now in the c++ code. Seriously adding a new setting is horrible), we will need to have settings for each feature anyway, so it's actually easier to have them all layed out in an "advanced" tab. The actual work is getting the right settings for low/medium/high (and having a coherent "preferred settings" function).

The "right" settings for the 3 levels are already laid out in my post above. :)

• 2 months later...

It may be too much to ask to plan for a full-featured Graphics Settings menu screen for the game by Alpha 15 (December 2013), because the config system may need redesigned and a GUI redesign is currently being discussed.

Just select the option you want, then click 'Apply'. It'll close down the game and relaunch it with the appropriate settings enabled. Probably just writing a new local.cfg ("settings.cfg"?) and loading the game back up.

i believe that the "setting.cfg", we need do an equivalent for GNU/Linux users, i gonna explain you, mantain the content of cfg file, but replace this file for a "settings.conf" file, free of the "public mod"

• 5 weeks later...

Well, with the lobby it seems a prototype version of my options window got mixed in. All that's to do now is the tedious work of finishing adding all the options. I also think that we'll probably need a mostly complete advanced options window + backend before we can do a "simple" graphics setting.

Well, with the lobby it seems a prototype version of my options window got mixed in. All that's to do now is the tedious work of finishing adding all the options. I also think that we'll probably need a mostly complete advanced options window + backend before we can do a "simple" graphics setting.

I'm not understanding. Aren't all the "options" already there in the cfg to make multiple presets?