===[COMMITTED]=== Wolf

Micket

• 6 months later...

.blend is great! Great work by the way! It's amazing! Don't get me wrong, but I just think the attack could be more aggressive. To me it seems to be a little bit too harmless.

edit: Oh my god! I love those idle animations, especially the second one! You are one amazing rigger/animator! Do you work in the gaming industry?

edit2: Oh my god! I just love them! I love the running! I love each one of them! :rockon:

Edited by Almin
  • Like 1

Salute.

Almin, thanks. There is no problem with a criticism for me. Indeed attack animation is bad. I'll try to improve or discard it and use a new concept. This great model is created and rigged by Micket. I don't work in gaming industry. As I wrote earlier this is the first time I do animations.

Sanderd17, understood. Thanks for an explanation.

I'll be posting previews of animations and updating archive.

Wolf run cycle animation:

pnfj89.gif

Wolf idle 01 animation:

Gx91bU.gif

Wolf idle 02 animation:

2eVhtU.gif

Improved wolf death animation:

troZDw.gif
  • Like 2

Hmmm, we can add sounds to a type of animation (like adding a sound to the attack animation), but we can't add sounds to a variation of the type (like one of the idle animations), that could cause a problem for the howling. It's still nice to get it in though, but it probably won't be very nice in game.

Also, I'd like some very still idle animations (like something sleeping). Predators are normally very still (except when they're hunting), and too many repeated animations make it look silly.

But those are mainly game-concerns. I really love the animations you made.

• Like 1

Salute.

I see. I will try to create sleeping animation. Could you answer a few questions, please?

What a sleeping animation should be? Stand-lay-sleep-stand or maybe stand-lay-sleep-stretch-stand or something else?

How long should it be?

What about walk, run, death animations? Will it work in the game?

Could you share some more ideas for idle and attack animations? I don't have a good idea about attack animations.

Thank you for your help.

The animations should start from the default stand pose, and end with it. But apart from that, it may be quite simple. How long it should be, depends on your feeling. We can easily stretch or shorten an animation (though that also stretches and shortens the first part of the animation).

For how animations work: animals (and other units) have different states (roam, feed/idle, attack, flee, ...) for each state, we can define a different set of animations, and play a sound (currently a single sound, but looping sounds should also be possible in the future. So we can play a sound when we switch to attack mode, but we can's play a sound when we switch between two idle variations f.e. As not all idle animations are expected to have the same sound (you can't play the howling sound when the wolf is sleeping), we can't play any sounds.

All the other animations will work. They're all states.

The attack animation are a bit more difficult, as the engine expects that the attack happens while standing still. So the animation needs to return to its original position. You can take a look at the tiger animation thread, I believe the wolf animation could be a bit the same (if the wolf has the same bones, you don't even need to make an animation for it, the animation can be reused).

• Like 2

Salute.

This gives me a good idea of how the game works with animations and what target I need to aim at. Thanks a lot!

Tiger animations are really amazing!

Here is a sleeping animation concept. It's low quality. And if you think this concept is good enough I'll start to improve it.

mbB6jz.gif

I used this images as a reference:

320px-VIslandWolf.JPG

Canis_lupus.jpg

Edited by Strannik

Salute.

This gives me a good idea of how the game works with animations and what target I need to aim at. Thanks a lot!

Tiger animations are really amazing!

Here is a sleeping animation concept. It's low quality. And if you think this concept is good enough I'll start to improve it.

mbB6jz.gif

I used this images as a reference:

320px-VIslandWolf.JPG

Canis_lupus.jpg

Maybe a third step would be nice, anyway Good Work ;)

• Like 1

I think it's a bit too soft for a wolf attack. I think wolf attacks are very similar to dog attacks (or war dogs aren't animated either though). Normally, a dog-human attack starts with the dog jumping up on his hind legs, trying to grab an arm, and then trying to tear the human down (using his weight, and trying to get down on his front legs again).

You can let the wolf move a bit, as long as he starts and ends on the same position, it will look good enough.

• Like 1