Helping out

EojjN

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and am very keen to contribute somehow to the project.

I'm quite interested in designing models for buildings but have very little knowledge of 3D modelling, although I am a very quick learner and I'm very enthusiastic about all this!

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Maybe some decent tutorials or stuff to read?

I already have Blender, not used it yet though.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of using Blender, I grabbed some of the 3D Assets from the github repo, and tried to import them using the latest Blender, I think the gaia/berries. I didn't get any errors, or crashes, but there's no geometry in the scene. I'm pretty proficient with Blender as I use it for Web Design for some Elements, and some Architectural walk throughs for client's.

I'm currently using Blender v2.68 (from the blender.org site).

My OS is Debian 7.0. 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 580 3GB.

I'm pretty sure it's not my system, but rather, either something missing in Blender, or a step I need to do before importing.

The reason I'm trying to import the models is to do some Art Renderings using the Assets from 0AD, along with credits back to 0AD and contributors.

Speaking of using Blender, I grabbed some of the 3D Assets from the github repo, and tried to import them using the latest Blender, I think the gaia/berries. I didn't get any errors, or crashes, but there's no geometry in the scene.

OpenCOLLADA (that Blender uses to import Collada documents) silently fails to load some models, especially ones exported from 3DS Max, which apparently the berry bush was. I think to make it work you should open the DAE in a text editor and remove the <ambient>, <diffuse>, and <transparent> effects (any that contain textures). There may be other errors or warnings, that exporter is not very good at following the Collada spec.

OpenCOLLADA (that Blender uses to import Collada documents) silently fails to load some models, especially ones exported from 3DS Max, which apparently the berry bush was. I think to make it work you should open the DAE in a text editor and remove the <diffuse> effect. There may be other errors or warnings, that exporter is not very good at following the Collada spec.

Thanks I'll have a play with that.

Ok, I've tried a few different models from the github repo, and from the install folder (where I had to rename the files so they show up in Blenders file browser), and nothing.

I also tried a couple of different Collada Import python scripts, which just throw errors.

Before anyone mentions it, no I will not use 3DS, hehe.

This must be doable as Blender is mentioned in the Wiki as one of the 3D Editors that can be used for modding.

Ok, I've tried a few different models from the github repo, and from the install folder (where I had to rename the files so they show up in Blenders file browser), and nothing.

I also tried a couple of different Collada Import python scripts, which just throw errors.

Before anyone mentions it, no I will not use 3DS, hehe.

This must be doable as Blender is mentioned in the Wiki as one of the 3D Editors that can be used for modding.

which assets are you trying to import into blender? any error message?

Trying to import pretty much everything, hopefully. I'd like to try render some scenes only using the game assets, and if successful I'd like to offer them back to the community so they can be used to raise funds. The only thing I ask is credit for the renders, and credit for the original creators of the assets. I was thinking along the lines of Photo Quality Art Works that can be framed and hung. This of course is dependant on my time. I hope this also gives others the inclination to do the same thing, and help raise funds for development.

I've been able to import some, and I came across a converter that can change the .pmd, .dae to .blend, which I'll try out later tonight on a Win machine.

I was able to get the berry bush DAE to import into Blender 2.65 after editing the DAE, as explained above.

Apparently there is another PMD format out there with scripts for Blender, but it's almost certainly not the same one we use for 0 A.D. (which is our own creation and completely specific to the engine). Also, any PMDs remaining in SVN/Git are almost certainly skeletal models, and as PMD is a lossy format, there's no good way of converting them back to DAEs.

Can you post an example of a DAE that you can't import into Blender after editing it (if necessary)? You can zip it first to attach here.

• 3 weeks later...