===[COMMITED]=== White Rhinoceros

Micket

This is not directed to you Micket, I think you are doing a wonderful job, ignore this. I figure I could post it here since it's about this animal.

Something is bugging me a bit about the official animal list. It's wonderful to have these African animals. But I feel a bit sad that these are done in favour of in my view more important animals that could make the excisting biomes better.

Something like the white rhino and the gorilla are far away from the main factions areas. Again it's great to have them, but again I feel a bit sad that (common) animals that are in the faction areas are left out. See:

Mapa_distribuicao_original_white_rhino.png

623px-ZL_Gorilla_%28genus%29.png

Maybe their is a good reason for this. But why white rhino in favour of European elk? Why gorilla in favour of leopard?

Maybe the team prefers to have a lot of biomes instead of very authentic biomes that I prefer (and when the main faction biomes are authentic move on to unique biomes like Congo forest and stuff like that).

Sorry for this complaining, but it's bugging me. I would like to know why it is done, so I can understand. Again Micket this is not ment for you since you just do the animals from the official list, but it is about the animal in question.

As you can see, Micket is not part of the team yet. He has just selected something fun for him to do and we don't want to restrict him in any way :)

Great job, btw (y)

So the animal list is not official? The one stickied? Or is it somekind of wishes from people?

Don't get me wrong, I love having white rhinos and gorillas, but I would prefer European Elk and leopard first.

And of course Micket should not be restricked in any way. I think that's a very good policy!

I think the models are awesome made and also i don't think that the georgraphic location of the animals is "TREMENDOUS IMPORTANT", look games like age of empires or maybe AOM, you had rhinos in just "sabana" and maybe they aren't from there.

Sorry if I make it seem TREMENDOUS IMPORTANT. But yeah it is important to me. It may seem hard to understand, but if you made a anarchronostic medieval Persian soldier, there would be people complaining about it or not liking it. Look at the Total War Center topics for Rome 2. Many people nowadays want accuracy, I want this partly with animals (I don't mind very generic animals).

I still think it's awesome. But I do not want to see other creatures forgotten. I'm some sort of nature freak, you have to understand. It was not my intention to sound very whiny or like a cry baby, just wanted to share my opinion.

I think if this wasn't about animals but about anarchronostic soldiers I was taken more seriously which is kind of unfair.

Again, I think it's awesome to have rhinos and gorillas, I don't want them not in the game, but I want other animals not forgotten! (and I'm not talking about specific subspecies or small critters like rats)

Edited by Unarmed

For what it's worth, I agree: authentic flora and fauna adds to the sense that the game is a serious production, and not just some toy. (But for the love of God, do not remove any of Micket's models from the game ;))

This I fully agree with.

Of course I want to see the rhinos and gorillas in full glory! Micket made awesome models, it would be a heresy to not include them!

Also the Serengeti scenario for example is great. I love it.

look games like age of empires or maybe AOM, you had rhinos in just "sabana" and maybe they aren't from there.

I don't want to argue to much about this since I already have given my opinion, so this will probably be the last.

While there are exceptions there is a trend to more accurate games. There are still many hollywood type of things (which I can adore, I was playing Call of Duty at a friend and thought the war hyenas while very unlikely (pet hyenas excist in Africa and the Middle East), were pretty cool). Some games ignore accuracy, but these are not based on something real like 0 A.D.

Compare Age of Empires 1 to Age of Empires 3, Age of Empires 3 had much more accurate units and factions. Though yes there were some hollywood style inventions and Age of Empires 3 had some arcade elements.

At least, on most game or mod forums I have been, there are always quite some threads about accuracy. Look at the Rome 2 Total War Center forum and you'll see "thousands" of those.

That's of course the case with games based on something real. Though even on the Worms forum, the Worms series is known for it's humerous ridiculousness, someone was stating his concern with a weapon that did not have the same function as it name has in real life.

EDIT: I played Age of Empires 3 demo for inspiration and fun. It even has pronghorns! Not many people know about this animal.

Though yes even Age of Empires 3 has inaccuracies. The dog portrait is a German shephard which is a breed from Nazi Germany. The coyote portrait is that of a wolf and the coyotes themselves are large enough to be wolves.

0 A.D looks much prettier than Age of Empires 3 by the way.

Edited by Unarmed

So the animal list is not official? The one stickied? Or is it somekind of wishes from people?

Don't get me wrong, I love having white rhinos and gorillas, but I would prefer European Elk and leopard first.

And of course Micket should not be restricked in any way. I think that's a very good policy!

Of course it is official, but Micket isn't 'officially' in the team yet :) You are free to make a request to Micket or some one else in the art team, but I think at the moment, they're working on a little more important things. I wouldn't mind modelling some animals, but I haven't had the time these days... :/

Of course it is official, but Micket isn't 'officially' in the team yet :) You are free to make a request to Micket or some one else in the art team, but I think at the moment, they're working on a little more important things. I wouldn't mind modelling some animals, but I haven't had the time these days... :/

I'm not fond of the list choices. That's all.

Obviously animals are not as important as factions. I would totally understand it if they would be something for expansion packs.

Again, just not so fond of the list choices.

I'm now working on some textures. Some variations for animals, and for generic animals to turn them in specific species.

Aaah, time, if only we had more. Even when I have lots of it, I seem to have not enough as I would like to do more.

I think it's really impressive what has been done in these years by the way. There are mods that do worse though some games are not actually mod friendly, modding almost seems like a thing of the past. But this is a game, but I think that's more impressive as it is build from the ground up.

Feel free to make your suggestions to add to the list, I'm sure Michael/Enrique will take a look :) Most seem pretty good (y)

If you make some textures, that might give me some motivation to model one ;)

Note that I'm more or less a noob. Though lately I've been practicing drawing a lot, but mostly in Flash (Flash is easier, but Gimp is better).

Some species I listed could just be reskins. I'm modifying textures by the way. It's the easiest and fastest way.

Might try to make textures from scratch, but right now I'm not going to make it more difficult than it should be.

I have made a Chital which is basicly the current deer but with some white dots and some brownish stripes. I'm going to test it out, there is a nice 0 A.D tutorial on how to do that. The fallow deer can also be a reskin, though it has quite distinct antlers.

I have quite some ideas for skin variations and specific species skins for generic animals. The generic gazelle for example (it is a African one), it is fine to make, or what I do, modify, a texture and turn them into gazelles that would live in Turkey and the Middle East.

Even the leopard could just be a reskin of the female lion. By the way, lions look a bit small too me. Not a biggie just pointing out.

Of course in real life some species would differ in size, but I think such a thing can be ignored unless someone would like to help out (Note: that I'm talking about different gazelle species for example or different kinds of deer, so not size between a lion and a tiger). (Even I would not like to do it, I would prefer to make the most common ones, after that the most distinct, and maybe then I would like to do size differences and other body features)

Edited by Unarmed

I don't see the difference in being in the official team or not. I just don't want to bother with the discussions, that's why I went for animals. Less to discuss there (just the exact species).

I only want to do this as relaxation break from work.

• Like 2

I don't see the difference in being in the official team or not. I just don't want to bother with the discussions, that's why I went for animals. Less to discuss there (just the exact species).

I only want to do this as relaxation break from work.

Sorry Micket for this discussion. Just keep on doing what you do well.

• 1 year later...