===[TASK]=== Gorilla

Micket

39 minutes ago, Leyto said:

Ok, I didn't pay attention to that, since it's one of the first open source project I contribute. Is it allowed to use photoshop in a not really clear way? :S if not I'll have to switch to Gimp.

Don't worry about it, I made the same mistakes when I started :P

Not 100% sure about the PS question, I use GIMP and I switched to the free version of ps CS2 (10 year old version) that was somewhat recently "freed".

2 hours ago, Leyto said:

Ok, I didn't pay attention to that, since it's one of the first open source project I contribute. Is it allowed to use photoshop in a not really clear way? :S if not I'll have to switch to Gimp.

PS doesn't have restrictions on what you can do with your content (like any decent program), so it's safe to use.

Though there are some pieces of software (most notably some cloud software) that try to restrict what you can do with your own content. Luckily this trend isn't very successful so far, so you're fine with most programs.

From an ethical PoV, I always prefer open-source software when it's available. But ethics are quite personal, so I won't dictate what you need to use. (if everyone on the programming team had the same ethics as I did, we wouldn't even be able to release the game for Windows and Mac, since nobody would be able to compile or test it there).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Here is a better version, with 128² texture :

wip2.jpg

The photoshop 3d module helped me to clean texture seam (it's not very accurate, but for this resolution it works pretty well ^_^)

P.S.: on the left is 256 texture map, not the one used in game...

Edited by Leyto
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I like most of the anims, but not the walking and running. It seems like he is is too stiff while walking, and the running anim is choppy. But thanks for working on it. Keep it up !
You should post gif of those, or upload them to sketchfab so that people can give some feedback too :)

Also:
If you haven't already read this: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/AnimationExportTutorial

this :

And especially this part.

On 11/21/2013 at 1:23 AM, Enrique said:

2015 Edit:

- Blender collada export now works better and there's no need to bake the animations even if using IK setups. This reduces considerably the size of the animation collada file.

- In order to get clean loops in pyrogenesis, you have to export including the first and last keyframe of the loop. In theory, it is the same keyframe and should be avoided, but the engine needs this duplicated keyframe. In resume: export the first and last keyframe in the animation loop to get a clean looping animation.

- Blender now supports "clean channels" option when selecting keyframe channels and deletes the keyframes that do not add anything new to the animation. This reduces the size of the animation file without altering the animation at all. Just select all keyframes in the action editor, hit "X" and select "clean channels"

13 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Even the kushites ?

The Kushites were a Nile Valley civilization, concentrated in what is now Northern Sudan; some individuals might have travelled deep into East Africa. However, bonobos, chimpanzees, and gorillas are confined to the Congo basin and some areas to the West of it; Central Africa is a completely different part of the world.

Nonetheless, more fauna is welcome :)

8 minutes ago, Nescio said:

The Kushites were a Nile Valley civilization, concentrated in what is now Northern Sudan; some individuals might have travelled deep into East Africa. However, bonobos, chimpanzees, and gorillas are confined to the Congo basin and some areas to the West of it; Central Africa is a completely different part of the world.

Nonetheless, more fauna is welcome :)

With bear, boar, fox, some other animals a school made for us (IIRC otter, and fish) , gorilla, that'll make a nice start for A24 :)

1 minute ago, stanislas69 said:

With bear, boar, fox, some other animals a school made for us (IIRC otter, and fish) , gorilla, that'll make a nice start for A24 :)

It would be nice if cattle could be added as well :)

0 A.D. already has a giraffe, however, there are several subspecies, each with a different skin pattern. Would it be possible to have all of them?

image.png.498aea139256ad91ea5c7b664962f563.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nescio said:

0 A.D. already has a giraffe, however, there are several subspecies, each with a different skin pattern. Would it be possible to have all of them?

image.png.498aea139256ad91ea5c7b664962f563.png

I guess so, I we find a texture artist. And good cc0 - cc-by-sa textures

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

Actually, Kushites were concentrated in North to Central Sudan and at their maximum extent reached South Sudan and the Ethiopian border. Gorillas are nowhere close, but there are Eastern Chimpanzees still inhabitting the southern corner of South Sudan, and their historical range 2000+ years ago was many times greater than today. We have a Gambia map, no? Carthaginian expedition by Hanno supposedly reached Gambia, where they hunted apes, probably Western Chimpanzees (funnily called "Gorillai", the origin of the modern name "Gorilla").

Spoiler

Gorillai[edit]

At the terminus of Hanno's voyage, the explorer found an island heavily populated with what were described as hirsute and savage people. Attempts to capture the males failed, but three of the females were taken. These were so ferocious that they were killed, and their skins preserved for transport home to Carthage. The skins were kept in the Temple of Juno (Tanit or Astarte) on Hanno's return and, according to Pliny the Elder, survived until the Roman destruction of Carthage in 146 BC, some 350 years after Hanno's expedition.[4][5] The interpreters travelling with Hanno called the people Gorillai (in the Greek text Γόριλλαι). When the American physician and missionary Thomas Staughton Savage and naturalist Jeffries Wyman first described the gorillas in the 19th century, the apes were named Troglodytes gorilla after the description in Hanno.[6][7]

In its inmost recess was an island similar to that formerly described, which contained in like manner a lake with another island, inhabited by a rude description of people. The females were much more numerous than the males, and had rough skins: our interpreters called them Gorillae. We pursued but could take none of the males; they all escaped to the top of precipices, which they mounted with ease, and threw down stones; we took three of the females, but they made such violent struggles, biting and tearing their captors, that we killed them, and stripped off the skins, which we carried to Carthage: being out of provisions we could go no further.

— The periplus Hanno, [8]

So there's no use for gorillas, indeed, but Chimpanzees are more debatable. Either way, I don't think either of those are important. I'd suggest the Hamadryas Baboon as one of the most important primates for out timeframe and geography. Hamadryas Baboons inhabited Egypt and Sudan in antiquity and Ethiopia and the Southern Arabian Peninsula up to this day, and were an important symbol in traditional Egyptian and Kushite religion (a representation of the god Thoth), and was exported north (as pets?). They're social/funny/annoying/dangerous animals living in troops. I'd love to see some baboons harassing Kushites or Ptolemaic hoplites, by throwing stones at them (or feces :mellow: ). The other important primate is the Barbary Macaque, of Northern Africa (throwing stones and feces at Carthaginians and Romans :LOL:) Other types of macaques also inhabit India, Afghanistan and Pakistan (throwing feces at Seleucids and Mauryans...) 

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

Absolutely!

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

This is absolutely pointless in my opinion... The only types of giraffes in any of our biomes are the Nubian Giraffe, the Kordofan Giraffe and the West African Giraffe, which are only marginally different from each other...

Spoiler

Nubian Giraffe:

Al_Ain_Zoo_Giraffe.JPG.caf3cab0ff77174029723fcc7e84ce2f.JPG

Kordofan Giraffe:

kordofan-giraffe-herd.jpg.a341176274a6fdffdd225cc71b677816.jpg

West African Giraffe:

WAG-2.jpg.9a41f3dcc5603c60f9689d2bcf4e8488.jpg

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

I just fell in love with my own idea! Can we have stick-, stone- and feces-throwing baboons and macaques in-game??? Ranged Gaia animals!! That would be soooo cool, and annoying in a really funny way. They shouldn't do much damage though, but if you leave a single citizen soldier or women close to a troop of 20 monkeys, they should slowly get stoned to death...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

But, seriously though... Macaques attacking Alexanders Macedonians:

"They call this tribe "monkey"... But we saw little difference with the tribes who lived among them", darn you Ptolemy I Soter and your casual racism.... (Did he actually say that?)

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2016 at 4:30 PM, sanderd17 said:

PS doesn't have restrictions on what you can do with your content (like any decent program), so it's safe to use.

Though there are some pieces of software (most notably some cloud software) that try to restrict what you can do with your own content. Luckily this trend isn't very successful so far, so you're fine with most programs.

From an ethical PoV, I always prefer open-source software when it's available. But ethics are quite personal, so I won't dictate what you need to use. (if everyone on the programming team had the same ethics as I did, we wouldn't even be able to release the game for Windows and Mac, since nobody would be able to compile or test it there).

Committing source files in a closed format (e.g. psd) is a shame though.

59 minutes ago, serveurix said:

Committing source files in a closed format (e.g. psd) is a shame though.

Well not really. For one gimp can open those and also like using odt and doc Is rather have an untouched original PSD format than a broken conversion. :)

• Like 1