[RESOLVED] Computer Crash During Gameplay (Overheating)

Gildiron

I'm running WIndows 7 64-bit, and every time during a match my entire computer just crashes after just five minutes or so. And by crash, I mean that it shuts itself down completely as if I hit the power button. It doesn't matter whether the match has five players or just two. I've even tried turning off all the in-game graphic effects to see if that would help, but doesn't seem to.

Welcome Gildiron A crash report should have been generated look in User\yourusername\AppData\0ad\logs and post crashlog.txt ,Interestinglog.html and system_info.txt that should let us know what is causing the crash.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Edited by Loki1950

Are you using the correct/newest drivers for your graphics card? The crashlog reports that your graphics drivers only support OpenGL 1.1.0 which is not enough to run 0 A.D., but from a quick google search it seems as if your graphics card should support more than that.

After browsing the internet the latest driver I could find for my graphics card, that I didn't already have, is a beta update. I installed it and attempted a few single player matches. Instead of my entire computer just turning itself off, now it just freezes up entirely after the same 5 minute period of time. Without being able to Ctr-Alt-Del I'm forced to reboot. Not sure if this is a step in the right direction or not haha. Here's a newer crashlog. Not sure if I needed to re-upload my system_info, but here it is anyway.

crashlog.txt

system_info.txt

After browsing the internet the latest driver I could find for my graphics card, that I didn't already have, is a beta update. I installed it and attempted a few single player matches. Instead of my entire computer just turning itself off, now it just freezes up entirely after the same 5 minute period of time. Without being able to Ctr-Alt-Del I'm forced to reboot. Not sure if this is a step in the right direction or not haha. Here's a newer crashlog. Not sure if I needed to re-upload my system_info, but here it is anyway.

crashlog.txt

system_info.txt

That crashlog is the same as the first you posted (same timestamp and contents), from some point when incorrect drivers were installed, they look correct now (hopefully you installed them from the official AMD site http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx).

It sounds like a different issue, if the computer freezes or turns off during the game, it's likely not going to create a crash dump. Any chance it's overheating your graphics card? You could use some utility to monitor the temperature during the game. It could also be some other defective component, like the power supply or motherboard. Definitely try some other demanding 3D games to see how it holds up, if they are OpenGL based it's even better. Lastly, you could try disabling some of the game's advanced graphics settings to test if that makes a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for such a late update, things have been busy.

After entertaining the possibility of overheating I went ahead and just opened up my tower. I did a thorough cleaning of all the dust I could manage to air blast away, especially the dust which had built up on my fans. Miraculously enough, it did the trick. My computer doesn't crash during matches anymore! Thank you all so much for helping me out with this. 0AD has such a wonderful and bright team. This is seriously one of the best RTSG's I've ever played, and I can't wait to see what else is in store for it.