===[TASK]=== Hippo

Micket

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/1969

Hello. First time poster. I do some occasional 3D modeling for fun and I've made something which 0 A.D. could use.

It's a lowpoly hippo (384 triangles) UV-mapped and rigged, though it's not actually textured or animated yet.

I didn't see a hippo model in the data pack so hopefully it wasn't all wasted efforts.

I'm not really very good at texturing so it'd be best if someone else gave that a shot. Animation is pretty new to me as well (I probably did a less-than-perfect job setting up the armatures).

But if there is something else wrong (to lowpoly? bad UV-map?) let me know (or, of course, feel free to modify).

post-15430-0-49359500-1370148158_thumb.p

post-15430-0-08141400-1370148172_thumb.p

hippo.zip

• Like 1

Well, as mentioned, I haven't actually animated anything yet. I just posed it to see if the weights where working properly. I need to set up constraints and all that before animation, which is all new to me (thus slow).

I'm playing around with it now, trying to get constraints set up properly, but don't expect anything fast.

As for the animal list, all it seems to do is list which ones should be in which biodomes. Is there a dedicated list where I can see what is actually missing (i.e. modeling, texturing, walk+attack+? animations?)

Most animals from that list just don't exist in the game for the moment. I you want to check that, just search for the name of the animal in the Atlas tool (scenario editor). If you don't find it, it's missing. The other animals are mostly lacking animation (they just glide forward instead of walking). Some (like the tiger) are even still missing textures.

Edited by sanderd17
  • Like 1

Hello Micket! Welcome to the forums!

Nice hippo :)

Armature looks decent, but I'm not an animation expert. I think the only thing it bothers me a little is that it's too wide. I made him a little less wider and textured with projection painting:

Sources:

http://commons.wikim...us_P1060080.jpg

http://commons.wikim...e:Hippo_pod.jpg

http://commons.wikim..._2010-01-13.jpg

Are you interested in animating it? or modelling more animals or assets?

*Black lines are seams that needs some pixels of color bleeding.

post-13528-0-49221700-1370365838_thumb.j

Edited by Enrique
  • Like 2

Great job on the texturing Enrique (and very fast!)! You are probably correct about the width.

I would rather just model new animals (or assets), unless, of course, there is an overabundance with modelers already?

Edit:

B.t.w, is the 0AD art usually made available somewhere outside the private SVN?

I figured I'd put this up on OpenGameArt as well.

Edited by Micket

As for the animal list, all it seems to do is list which ones should be in which biodomes. Is there a dedicated list where I can see what is actually missing (i.e. modeling, texturing, walk+attack+? animations?)

Hi, the animals list was in a hidden staff forum but has now been made public: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15686

Hopefully it is not too out of date. If I may say so, we always have a need for talented animal modelers and animators (y)

Hi, the animals list was in a hidden staff forum but has now been made public: http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=15686

Hopefully it is not too out of date. If I may say so, we always have a need for talented animal modelers and animators (y)

Well, those are only animals that are in the game already.

I saw the other list had Oryx, which looks awesome and doesn't seem to be in the game yet, so i'll just model that.

I saw the other list had Oryx, which looks awesome and doesn't seem to be in the game yet, so i'll just model that.

Which species of Oryx, out of curiosity? It may be one is more suitable for 0 A.D. than others (even if similar in appearance we do typically consider such things and also historical species/locations, since this was thousands of years ago)

Again, that list doesn't say which ones are missing, or just needs texture or just animation, or is just partly animated, or which type of animal it should be.

I would much rather see some Trac tickets for each animal (where they are updated whenever there is a mesh, or some texture is submitted), and some meta-tickets for each region.

Forums are good for discussion, but this is exactly what issue-trackers where designed for.

Again, that list doesn't say which ones are missing, or just needs texture or just animation, or is just partly animated, or which type of animal it should be.

I would much rather see some Trac tickets for each animal (where they are updated whenever there is a mesh, or some texture is submitted), and some meta-tickets for each region.

Forums are good for discussion, but this is exactly what issue-trackers where designed for.

We'll have to decide as a group what to do. Previously when this issue was brought up, it was decided that artists are more comfortable with the looser arrangement found on the forum. The only problem was that my time became more and more limited so I could not keep up with maintaining the meta-threads. If the fundraiser is a success, my time will essentially be unlimited. So, I'd like to get other artists' feedback too before changing what we've been doing so far, which has generally worked okay if the Art Dept Lead (which I used to be) has the time to guide and maintain the art flow.

But for now, all you have to do is, uh, look in Atlas to see what we have in the game already. :) We aren't hiding anything. What we have done is in the game already (and easily looked at in Atlas). What we don't have done is not in the game.

EDIT: Edited above.

• 2 years later...

image.png

@Nescio I need some suggestions for the template

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Entity parent="template_unit_fauna_wild_aggressive">
  <Attack>
    <Melee>
      <Damage>
        <Hack>30.0</Hack>
        <Pierce>0.0</Pierce>
        <Crush>0.0</Crush>
      </Damage>
      <MaxRange>8.0</MaxRange>
      <RepeatTime>2000</RepeatTime>
    </Melee>
  </Attack>
  <Footprint>
    <Square width="3.5" depth="7.0"/>
    <Height>1.5</Height>
  </Footprint>
  <Identity>
    <GenericName>Hippopotamus</GenericName>
    <SpecificName>Hippopotamus amphibius</SpecificName>
    <Icon>gaia/fauna_hippopotamus.png</Icon>
  </Identity>
  <Position>
    <Anchor>pitch-roll</Anchor>
  </Position>
  <Selectable>
    <Overlay>
      <Texture>
        <MainTexture>circle/256x256.png</MainTexture>
        <MainTextureMask>circle/256x256_mask.png</MainTextureMask>
      </Texture>
    </Overlay>
  </Selectable>
  <Sound>
    <SoundGroups>
      <select>actor/fauna/animal/lion_select.xml</select>
      <attack_melee>actor/fauna/animal/lion_attack.xml</attack_melee>
      <death>actor/fauna/animal/lion_death.xml</death>
    </SoundGroups>
  </Sound>
  <UnitMotion>
    <WalkSpeed op="mul">0.3</WalkSpeed>
  </UnitMotion>
  <VisualActor>
    <Actor>fauna/hippopotamus.xml</Actor>
  </VisualActor>
</Entity>

@wowgetoffyourcellphone Do you have an icon in stock ?

Still need spec map,

image.png

and maybe color variant

• Like 3