===[TASK]=== Ptolemaic shields and unit props

Enrique

Please post here shield types, emblems, weapons, armors and other unit props on the time period that you think should be included.

This is my first shield test. Directly from a public domain ptolemaic coin image. Not sure how historically correct this could be. Rounded bolts would be probably be deleted, they're bothering me a little.

post-13528-0-47099300-1369875377_thumb.jpost-13528-0-49990200-1369875386_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yeah, I've never seen their shields using "bolts" along the rim like that.

For the backs, just reuse the existing shield back textures:

public\art extures\skins\props\shield\...

hele_aspis_back_black

hele_aspis_back_silver

hele_round_back

mace_round_back

mace_round_back_a

mace_round_back_b

(I attach some here for example)

post-130-0-54352200-1369876229.pngpost-130-0-05515600-1369876230.pngpost-130-0-62285700-1369876302.png

As for designs, mostly "Hellenistic" shield patterns, with stars, crescent moon shapes arrayed in a circle pattern, and of course the Ptolemaic eagle. The Galatian swordsmen can use the standard Celtic shield patterns. The Nubian archers probably don't get any shields at all (though, we could probably give them a cheap "Nubian Spearman" mercenary at the Civ Centre, like the Egyptians get in 'Age of Mythology'?).

Both the Ptolemies and Seleucids will use these patterns here (except pattern 'o' which is exclusively Seleucid, the anchor being the Seleucid emblem):

Hellenistic_shield_designs.jpg

Some more "successor" or "Hellenistic" shield patterns.

post-130-0-15840600-1369876846_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another test. I made this one fairly quick with blender sculpt tools. I think the most time-consuming part will be hand painting different parts to mask them out in order to use different colors/textures/playercolor. I know the design sucks, but I was experimenting :P Anyway, there's already a lot of macedonian bronce shields of this kind in the game...

post-13528-0-32527100-1369884760_thumb.j

• Like 1

Can you post some PSDs of these? I wouldn't mind trying my hand at player colorizing them.

Will do soon. I'll post also more designs currently under production with black and white layers for easy selection/masking of shield parts in photoshop. Any special shield design request accepted (heroes?)

Will do soon. I'll post also more designs currently under production with black and white layers for easy selection/masking of shield parts in photoshop.

I guess you don't use real layers then, just masks?
Any special shield design request accepted (heroes?)

The wreath one with the side view of Ptolemy's face in the middle of the shield would be good.

300px-AntiochusIVEpiphanes.jpg

And one like this one on the white elephant tower (right side)... the half moon shapes surrounding the face of Ptolemy.

post-130-0-48416800-1370267782_thumb.jpg

I guess you don't use real layers then, just masks?

I render the image in blender from orthographic view from an high res sculpt, bake the displacement to a black and white image so I can have a layer to select different parts easy with the magic selection tool and make changes in photoshop (transparencies, color changes). I'll probably render the images with an transparent multiplied AO layer. This way playercolor is just selecting the part you want, erase it to make it "transparent" and then the multiplied AO layer will create nice shadows in top of the playercolor. I hope I explained it clearly, if not you'll see once posted ;)

The wreath one with the side view of Ptolemy's face in the middle of the shield would be good.

Nice. Can I use that image? is it copyrighted?

EDIT: Added a screen from GIMP as example. Specular highlits could probably be rendered in a different layer, to add it in top of the playercolor, but I don't think it would be neccessary.

post-13528-0-29599800-1370268499_thumb.j

I render the image in blender from orthographic view from an high res sculpt, bake the displacement to a black and white image so I can have a layer to select different parts easy with the magic selection tool and make changes in photoshop (transparencies, color changes). I'll probably render the images with an transparent multiplied AO layer. This way playercolor is just selecting the part you want, erase it to make it "transparent" and then the multiplied AO layer will create nice shadows in top of the playercolor. I hope I explained it clearly, if not you'll see once posted ;)

Nice. Can I use that image? is it copyrighted?

Here's one with a CC-BY-SA license: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ptolemaeus_IV.jpg

Or, you could reuse and rework Pureon's portrait, here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/textures/ui/session/portraits/technologies/political_face.png