===[COMMITTED]=== Blacksmith Buildings

Mythos_Ruler

What is wrong with crossed hammers to identify the blacksmith's building.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Well it's not a big issue to me like I said, but I'll be more specific:

-it seems like it does not belong

-seems kind of unecessary (i take this back if it is historical)

It seems unecessary because you already have the furnace, the weapons lying around and the anvil.

But again not a big issue to me, just a opinion. Unless more think the same it's okay to ignore my opinion.

Two celt blacksmith concepts. Not sure which direction to go, or if give it one to brits and the other to gauls. Props not final. Chimney is big and 4 sided to reflect the "advantage" of celts in blacksmithing. It's also separated from the main structure for safety reasons because of the roofs.

post-13528-0-91515900-1372269033_thumb.jpost-13528-0-50655800-1372269040_thumb.j

The first one is very "open", but it's too similar to the barracks to me. It looks almost like simple barracks with a chimney. I like the L shape of the second one, I just wish it was open like the first one.

Well it's not a big issue to me like I said, but I'll be more specific:

-it seems like it does not belong

-seems kind of unecessary (i take this back if it is historical)

It seems unecessary because you already have the furnace, the weapons lying around and the anvil.

But again not a big issue to me, just a opinion. Unless more think the same it's okay to ignore my opinion.

It's totally ok to give your opinion and criticism. It's the process of making good art assets. You can give constructive criticism if you make your points an say 'why' you think it look good or bad to you. About the hammers you are probably right, I just had the idea and tried it to see how it looks. But the more I see it, the less I like it :-P

The first one is very "open", but it's too similar to the barracks to me. It looks almost like simple barracks with a chimney. I like the L shape of the second one, I just wish it was open like the first one.

I agree with you. I reused a lot of the barracks geometry to throw some quick layout on that one. I'll try to make it more unique or make the L shaped concept more interesting.

Here's another concept joining previous ideas. I think this one is looking better :)

Still some props to add (armor stands, helmets, weapons...) and the interior needs detailing, but the layout will be like in the screenshot.

I've also came up with the idea of making a "sand" mountain with the same texture as the decal, and place a ramp where the doors or entrances should be. It's like a "decal with geometry", that extends underground. This way we can avoid floating props, unlike just extending the structure further into the ground.

post-13528-0-97934300-1372317678_thumb.jpost-13528-0-81510200-1372317687_thumb.j

Here's another concept joining previous ideas. I think this one is looking better :)

Still some props to add (armor stands, helmets, weapons...) and the interior needs detailing, but the layout will be like in the screenshot.

I've also came up with the idea of making a "sand" mountain with the same texture as the decal, and place a ramp where the doors or entrances should be. It's like a "decal with geometry", that extends underground. This way we can avoid floating props, unlike just extending the structure further into the ground.

post-13528-0-97934300-1372317678_thumb.jpost-13528-0-81510200-1372317687_thumb.j

I think the hammers with shield look much better. It looks to me more natural/less out of place.

All the building looks good. I have no preference for one, except I have of course preference for the hammers + shield.

As GB is generally colder than France, wouldn't the more closed building be a Briton one, and the more open a Gallic one?

Just thinking out loud, if you are going to separate Gauls from Britons, you might as well take the climate into account.

Is it really true that GB is colder as France?

I suppose if you compare Southern France (mediterraean climate) to Northern Scotland, but I don't think it is such a notable difference otherwise.

It is true France is more southern as GB, but I think they are both oceanic climate. I'm not a expert at the subject though. I did take a quick look at average temperatures of France and GB, at first glance no notable differences. But I clicked it away before taking a good look, which I don't want to do right now.

I thought it wasn't as simple as being more southern means higher temperature, but I could be very wrong.

Nice map by the way.

Well, the difference isn't that big, but there is a difference nonetheless (mostly during the summer). Why else would all those Dutchies go on holidays to France? :D

I was under the assumption most went for the landscape and culture. If you want to go on a real sun vacation there are better options like Spain.

It are mostly families going to France, young people who want sun and beach don't go to France.

I think the temperature difference is neglectable, though I guess it does rain more in Great Britain compared to France.

It would be fine as a difference since it is a game, but I prefer historical cultural differences. I like how most of the Briton buildings are round. (Note: these sentences do not apply to the different buildings that have been made)

Edited by Unarmed

As GB is generally colder than France, wouldn't the more closed building be a Briton one, and the more open a Gallic one?

I would advocate for the opposite. When you live in a country where it rains often, you'd probably want to be able to move your tools and materials and workshop under a roof quickly. That's why I didn't like the second model : there's no wide and direct communication path bewteen the chimney and the shelter, the blacksmith would have to make long trips to put all his stuff in the shelter, and if he uses a cart to carry everything in one trip, the door orientation would not make it convenient.

A smithy is a place to work, not a place to live, but we could imagine it has several parts (like suggested in those concepts), at least one with a wide entrance giving onto the workplace/chimney (in the case of a chimney separated from the main building), which would be a place to work and store stuff, and a more closed cozy annex where the blacksmith would live.

Edited by serveurix

I think the temperature difference is neglectable, though I guess it does rain more in Great Britain compared to France.

I wouldn't say the temperature difference is neglectable, but it's true that it isn't big. However there's a big difference of climate.

In some regions like Brittany, Normandy and Nord-Pas-de-Calais, it's very, very rainy/cloudy. The weather is similar to Great Britain's.

In some regions of the south like Provence, it's quite rare to have a cloudy sky, even in winter. And the air is very dry. It's not exactly an italian or iberian climate (except in Corsica, but I don't know if you count it as a part of Gaul) but it's quite close to it.

In some regions of the south like Provence, it's quite rare to have a cloudy sky, even in winter. And the air is very dry. It's not exactly an italian or iberian climate (except in Corsica, but I don't know if you count it as a part of Gaul) but it's quite close to it.

That is because Provence is not a oceanic climate but mediterranean climate.

Well, I thought, this map seems better than I had in my head:

climatic-map.png

I thought Europe, was only classified with oceanic + mediteranean climate (and if you want to be precise alpine).

But this map shows you guys are right, there is a difference. But I'm not sure if it justifies a difference in buildings.

EDIT: on the other hand a wikipedia map about oceanic climate is in my favour:

800px-Koppen_classification_worldmap_CfbCfc.png

Edited by Unarmed

Yep. Those are placeholders actually, I reused them from the roman blacksmith to get the overall feel.

I also had the idea to alter the AO maps on the chimneys parts baking a lightmap from a single orangish point lamp in blender and overlay it in top of the normal AO map. This should give a fairly cool (and subtle) look of fire light where the fire is. It's not done yet so I cannot show how it will look but you can expect it on the final building.

Yep. Those are placeholders actually, I reused them from the roman blacksmith to get the overall feel.

I also had the idea to alter the AO maps on the chimneys parts baking a lightmap from a single orangish point lamp in blender and overlay it in top of the normal AO map. This should give a fairly cool (and subtle) look of fire light where the fire is. It's not done yet so I cannot show how it will look but you can expect it on the final building.

That sounds fantastic, man.