===[TASK]=== Ptolemaic Structures

Enrique

If I may say so as an outsider, I think the buildings look fantastic, you Art guys are really doing a splendid job. :)

Whats described as "cartoonish" here could perhaps really be the colors / contrast / saturation. Maybe some of the textures are too perfect and could use some muckiness, and others could get toned down a bit. But I really think it looks great. You certainly know better than me, just my 2cts.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I actually think it looks nice with the buildings because markets are usually crowded in between structures. If you go to a market in a suburbs or rural area, you see farmer and flea markets in an open tent. If you go to markets in Tel-Aviv, Jerusalem, or even places like La Paz in Bolivia, you see lots of markets crowded on streets. Smelly Medieval London had market stalls paralleling the streets. Since this game involves building an economy through phases of size, I think the city look of a market looks more appropriate.

Edited by Sighvatr
  • Like 2

Hey Shadosk,

That's an awesome design! I like it :)

I'd say to add it as is to the game as a decorative building, and maybe we can make use of it in the future. You can zip the file and post it here and I'll add it to the game or, if you prefer, wait until I finish some changes I'm making to the texture to add some column variations. (adding two new capitels and a painted column variation for the temple).

Please, be my guest to start working on the blacksmith. My guidelines will be that it must be a functional-looking structure (almost no decoration, like the houses), and following the "L" shape that the blacksmiths currenlty have. We use blender empties (We call them prop-points) to add things like fire, smoke... etc

Good work so far! keep it up!

Have you go an updated caption on those ponies of yours mounted?

I'd love to see how they coming on.

And sorry to be off topic here ;)

Edited by Romulus

Is that fountain water texture in the the seuleucid buildings or just for demonstration purposes ?

Demonstration, there's a special material for water in the game, but it has no reflections. There are buckets with water in almost evert blacksmith and a lot of it around the Gardens.

However, I'm not sure how accurate that fountain is... it seems they had fountains, but there aren't much references except a lion head.

Demonstration, there's a special material for water in the game, but it has no reflections. There are buckets with water in almost evert blacksmith and a lot of it around the Gardens.

However, I'm not sure how accurate that fountain is... it seems they had fountains, but there aren't much references except a lion head.

Yeah I know, even in the eyecandy there are not much references... I'll start working on the fountains when I'm done with foundations because I need to improve my skills in marble texturing, and it's time hungry.

Btw is that tissue a cloth modifier or something ? I've seen that long time ago in max, but never really used it.

If you put in a few props behind the tent imo it'd look quite perfect.

I agree although I'm not well placed to give advices ;)

Btw is that tissue a cloth modifier or something ? I've seen that long time ago in max, but never really used it.

Yes, It was done with cloth simulation, then I sculpted some cute wrinkles by hand and made stronger the ones created with the cloth, then simplified the mesh to be lowpoly, then baked the normals from the hi-res to the lowpoly and finally the textures. I made a bunch of texture variations, you can see them in the stalls that are already in atlas, this red cloth is just for visualization.

I tried with a custom decal, if it's too intrusive I'll simply go with the standard sand-dirt with the carpets baked so they do not clip in uneven terrain.

post-13528-0-28723800-1392153942_thumb.j

EDIT: changed the screenshot

• Like 1