===[TASK]=== Ptolemaic Structures

Enrique

Hey Enrique, when you contacted me via IRC about how my walls were thicker than average, did you mean in length or in thickness? I took it as thickness, but I modeled them to be just as thick as the those of the Persians. I did make them necessarily long to better fit the Carthaginian wall segment template I gave them in testing

nevermind, i totally just checked and they're just too big all around

Edited by LordGood
chekc be4 u post

Hey Enrique, when you contacted me via IRC about how my walls were thicker than average, did you mean in length or in thickness? I took it as thickness, but I modeled them to be just as thick as the those of the Persians. I did make them necessarily long to better fit the Carthaginian wall segment template I gave them in testing

nevermind, i totally just checked and they're just too big all around

I meant thickness. I recall the lenghts were correct, but they were much more thicker than the rest of the other civs' walls. Specially the gates. You can celarly see it in your last screenshot. In other civs, the gates uses more or less the same thickness as the walltowers.

I'd also suggest to use other civ walls as reference for scale, since carthaginian walls are meant to be thicker, bigger and stronger than other walls for historical reasons.

I think they're looking much better. We're going to need a texture for the doors. The gate is still looking too big for my taste, but I can't be sure judging only from the screenshot.

It's a little smaller than the Mauryans gate, heightwise, at least. Mauryan walls are a bit thinner than the others, but that's alright given it's hyped up palisade :P

Just going from what I remember, I cleaned out all my mods and updated recently

I'm not sure how to commit actors to buildings that don't exist yet in the civ building actor folder

ptol_walls_3.zip

I like your walls, they really look good. But they are wider than most other walls though (at least the base is wider). You should edit the footprint and obstruction size. I think for the footprint depth, something like 10 or 11 metres would be good. The obstruction depth can be a bit smaller, something like 9m. When you edit the footprint size, you'll also notice that the walls aren't perfectly centred. It would be nice if you could fix that and centre them better.

Also for the length, it's better if you take the exact length from an existing old wall (f.e. the Greek ones). This causes less problems with the scripts (scripts need the wall length to automatically compose walls out of wall pieces). For now, the template data comes from the Greek walls, while the actual lengths are longer. This can cause walls sticking out of towers.

For now, the short segment is about 3m too long compared to the Greek short segment, the medium segment is about 1m too long, and the long segment is about 2m too long. Here, it's really better to shorten the models as it needs lots of tweaking to get the length values correct.

Egyptian fortress gates are typically too thick to portray here, being the strongpoint in an ancient citadel. many of the wall plans of the Nile fortresses from the old dynasties show a gatehouse that is longer than it is wide. The resulting pathway into the fortress would either be strangled by a double gate or just be a long killing corridor

I like the thought of a "killing corridor". What do you think about having a gate without doors? But instead give a quite powerful attack to the gate with a very small range (so it only really attacks enemies in the gate).

These segments are built on the Persian template, but they're still too thick for those walls as well.

Killing corridors can be built manually by every civilization already(aside from the celts), I would say keep the gatehouse to keep things consistent, it would be annoying to have battering rams just slip through the gates and tear down your civ center every few minutes

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to keep it as is, and hope nobody builds their marketplaces on mountainsides

I changed the ground texture to cobble so the well doesnt look too out of place, and give it a nice light value for contrast with the dark beams

looks a bit better on grass

fixed the stretching too

post-14999-0-91388100-1387057043_thumb.p

post-14999-0-81647600-1387057202_thumb.p

• Like 1