===[TASK]=== Ptolemaic Structures

Enrique

Awesome job! How do you texture the models like that though? I never knew you could do that in Blender?

I usually select faces on the model and then spend an hour laying them all out on the UV map. I then export the UV map and spend hours painting inside the faces on the UV spreadsheet. Then I open up another program that puts together all the models and textures together and act as a resource to provide to the game I play.

• Like 1

Awesome job! How do you texture the models like that though? I never knew you could do that in Blender?

I usually select faces on the model and then spend an hour laying them all out on the UV map. I then export the UV map and spend hours painting inside the faces on the UV spreadsheet. Then I open up another program that puts together all the models and textures together and act as a resource to provide to the game I play.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you mark all of your seams on the model so they unwrap without stretching and then unwrap the model, you can go into the UV editing panel and place the surfaces on the corresponding textures

Video is low res and sped up x8 so I doubt that would show as a tutorial very well xP

Right, so I'm not wasting time stuffing it into the engine because that takes waaay too long because I'm stupid when it comes to that sort of thing. Also, not pivotal. Can't enable whizbang graphics so there's really no point either :/

Sweet !

I like how the model is display on the left capture. Is it in "rendered" display mode ?

I like that steady basement you've built and how much details you've put here and there. Really cool to see that your Sketchup style is now fully "exported" into Blender.

EDIT : oh and Enrique and Lordgood, congratulations for the latest models, which are superb and are very exciting for upcoming gaming experience. Enrique, your normal maps are amazing!

Thanks Ludo :D
Left view is the baked-in Ambient Occlusion maps on the building, right is just the normal UV mapping.

It does take me a lot longer than sketchup does, and speed will come with time (and everyone's tips), but I'm glad I managed to get a handle on things! I'm having a tough time peeling myself away from Blender now that I can use it xP

oooh i have a paper due in the morning...

dang, that floor texture's really stretched isn't it? :/

Is it the flare of the roof? or are the props disproportionate? I've been staring at it for five hours, so I probably need help seeing whats wrong with it

I did a bunch of sketches and in hindsight I think I picked the weirdest concept to develop. The others were all nice and symmetrical...

@Lordgood : I recommend you to post a picture of the building from a upper point of view, like in the game, to judge better how it looks with the usual perspective. Having such a close up probably increases this sense of "cartoon" with the strong camera persp, I think...

Also, the slope you gave to several walls is probably responsible for what Enrique expresses. But basically, I think the building is not far from good.

And yes, the props look too big, the front shields mainly.

ah I know I said I wouldnt but I just got back from class. I have a little more time. Cannibalized the Carthaginian barracks template too, so none of that stumbling around the actor editor anymore

ah, almost forgot this, finally got rid of those annoying black bars

Edited by LordGood
i added a video!

@Lordgood : I recommend you to post a picture of the building from a upper point of view, like in the game, to judge better how it looks with the usual perspective. Having such a close up probably increases this sense of "cartoon" with the strong camera persp, I think...

Also, the slope you gave to several walls is probably responsible for what Enrique expresses. But basically, I think the building is not far from good.

And yes, the props look too big, the front shields mainly.

I'm not talking about the design, the slopes are ok, it's characteristic of the egyptian architecture. It's just the impression the building gave gave me. I.e. you can see the "curved thing of the roof that has the stripes texture" on the first images that it has more than the half of the height of the second floor. The second floor looks squashed out in comparision with it's roof thing, which I think that makes it feel so cartoony to me. It's just my opinion.

oh that wasn't an optical effect, that second floor was most definitely squashed xP

super squashed, you see those doors that lead out to the balcony? lol

Glad you caught that

did a few edits and whatnot

EDIT: uh, small oversight. The garrison flag prop point is floating now. I raised the second floor then compacted the building a tiny bit and forgot all about the empty xP

post-14999-0-34033600-1381860044_thumb.p

ptol_barracks_2.zip

Edited by LordGood

I like Enrique's doors. , may be Enrique need out some props, Lordgood is very nice, hard choose one. Very nice work both.

But now I see, Enrique is most military, space for training grounds, walls are strengths or that are my perspective. Is closed in not open, so in attack nobodies can enter to courtyard or training ground.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen