Can I use 0ad artwork in other indie games?

svf

I know everything is free-ish but would I be able to use 0ad art for some indie games, likely ones I'll never finish =p but nonetheless 0ad is themed perfectly. I'm hoping to release some small hobby project (some open source, some may be closed) for mobile, indie consoles, etc.

And anything I could contribute back I will be happy to =)

Thanks for such great work that you've done here. 0ad looks really amazing.

Great, I hope I can contribute back some things as well then! At the least 0ad assets may be rendering on mobile platforms soon (ios, android) as those seem to be good platforms to release indie games nowadays.

Now to learn how to get to the 0ad artwork repo and try exporting a few assets! Thanks again.

Wijitmaker -

Ahh, it makes sense, I noticed some original assets missing from the Git repo. IE. I couldn't find animation sources in MAX or Maya formats. Is it due to licensing issues the originals couldn't be released? I wouldn't want to ask for too much! If available, I would use a generic exporter (FBX, or Collada) to batch convert everything into a generic format easily loaded by the indie game engines. If this is something Wildfire would be interested in, I'll be happy to do it! In turn be able to use those in my own projects.

Thanks again,

The art team has a closed branch of SVN that they store all their original assets in. If you have something in mind, I'm sure one of the folks here could point you to it's location on our server and share it with you.

Ahh, it makes sense, I noticed some original assets missing from the Git repo. IE. I couldn't find animation sources in MAX or Maya formats. Is it due to licensing issues the originals couldn't be released? I wouldn't want to ask for too much!

I believe most of the modelling and animation is done in Blender, but I think the reason the originals aren't released is simply because the art repo is HUGE.

If available, I would use a generic exporter (FBX, or Collada) to batch convert everything into a generic format easily loaded by the indie game engines. If this is something Wildfire would be interested in, I'll be happy to do it! In turn be able to use those in my own projects.

0 A.D. already uses Collada, so you can probably just use those. I think the originals are also licensed under CC-BY-SA, in which case you could get them if the Collada ones are insufficient.

Edited by alpha123

'HUGE' may actually be a good thing =) us indie game devs are desperate for good quality stuff to use, especially 3D media of the quality 0 A.D. has. (And we can't afford to hire Maya/3DS folks, lol).

Most of 0 A.D seems to be already in very convenient COLLADA formats - I might only need access to the source files for the engine animation format (PMD I think?) , those could be exported to COLLADA as well, or a few other formats would work. Who should I ask to get access to just those pieces ? The rest I think are very nicely packaged in the public repo, and the XML metadata files give me more than enough info to glue things together.

Thanks again for all the help / info, seems like it's a great community here!

Most of the Art repo is source images and the like, or source files for art which hasn't been used in years. I would say the size of it actually has been a major reason why it isn't used any more, people find it's too big to checkout and then they don't and end up not uploading anything to it either (I can't remember seeing anything added to it for years). So, while there certainly can be some pieces which still are useful, the current state of it isn't too much to mourn not having access to :P Hopefully someone might be able to find what you're looking for though, I just wouldn't recommend getting your hopes up too high :P The artists have been wanting to redo a fair number of the animations anyway, but we'll see if we can find any good animators to help out with that part ;)

Ahh, I see, so there are some pieces exported and the originals might be hard to track down. Understandable for a project that's been around a while.

I can just use the static, non animated things then - I've also found a lot of animated content (done by professionals) as part of an open sourced MMO Ryzom: http://www.ryzom.com/en/. They have a huge repo of MAX files, with animations that could help supplement indies as well. Some things are pretty basic humanoid style content that could go well with generic games as well as with some of 0 A.D. Content it seems.

It's nice to see such good quality art starting to come about nowadays. Thanks for all the pointers / tips here! Hopefully I'll be able to contribute some things back someday!

Thanks,