25 towers limit

Cruel

i'd say it should be 5 additional towers for each civic center or fortress, with some other buildings also providing one or two more towers (like barracks, for instance), with a total cap at 25 or maybe 30 (actually, maybe a cap of 30 could be reserved as a unique trait of a certain faction whereby only they are allowed to build those 5 extra towers)

Or maybe experiment with a different restriction: a minumum distance between the towers.

So a player can't make a "wall of towers" anymore, but can protect (almost) all ground with it.

I think half of the range of the tower would be good as a minimum distance, so players don't need to leave a gap in their defence line, and towers can still protect each other.

• 1 month later...

If you use outposts modded to hold a few more units then you could use the outposts as weak defense towers. Put them behind a wall or palisade in territories you're in the process of taking or only intend to hold temporarily. They're cheap and useful even if you leave them at a garrison cap of 1. Another strategy is to use wall towers, build a stretch of wall from the point you want a tower at to anywhere else, then destroy the extra wall piece and tower. If you need the wall tower in neutral territory you might be able to use an outpost to take that bit of territory, but I've been playing with modded outposts so long i don't remember if they can be built in neutral territory in vanilla. Again, if it's possible, outposts are cheap and easy to build.

Edited by chaosislife

• 3 months later...

The limit can be edited in binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/special/player.xml

I edited the "player" xml-file to show a 50 tower limit, and that did not work. I even edited the "EntityLimits" file in the components folder to reflect the "50" & still the game would not recognize this change. I checked numerous other folder/files but have had no success in my attempts to figure out what I am missing. btw... I am successfully using an unzipped "public" folder to do my editing.

Any input to my "problem" would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by eddieballgame

I edited the "player" xml-file to show a 50 tower limit, and that did not work. I even edited the "EntityLimits" file in the components folder to reflect the "50" & still the game would not recognize this change. I checked numerous other folder/files but have had no success in my attempts to figure out what I am missing. btw... I am successfully using an unzipped "public" folder to do my editing.

Any input to my "problem" would be much appreciated. Thank you.

It works immediately for me, what version are you using? Maybe you can join #0ad-dev on Quakenet to get better help.

Is there a way to place only wall towers, one by one, in 0AD ? Or do you need to build a wall and then destroy the curtain walls' underpinnings ?

As far as I know, it is not possible to build lone wall towers in the main game. However... you CAN build double wall towers in the game, by first placing one tower, then extending its wall just enough so that a second tower emerges beside the first. At that point, you can left-click to lay the foundation. Double towers are probably much better anyway (mutual fire support and all that).

As far as I know, it is not possible to build lone wall towers in the main game. However... you CAN build double wall towers in the game, by first placing one tower, then extending its wall just enough so that a second tower emerges beside the first. At that point, you can left-click to lay the foundation. Double towers are probably much better anyway (mutual fire support and all that).

Yeah, but it's more than twice the price in stone...

Edited by serveurix

Solved my "problem" per editing the XML files. The files are "case sensitive". I was capping them to show that they were modded. Some programs allow this, this one does not. No problems now! :)

btw...outstanding program...kudos to all the programmers & contributors.

Edited by eddieballgame
  • Like 1