Alpha 14 Planning

Ask historicbruno about this on IRC; he actually tried this (IIRC) but ran into some odd problems.

Let's get this one worked out if we can. It's a 'self-balancing' thing for the techs. Add more armor to your units, they get slightly slower. Things like that. It's one of the main effects missing to where I can actually start adding this self-balancing to the techs.

I think the issue is that it's in the C++. But CcmpVision handles technologies already. Using the exact same stuff, here's a patch that appears to be working for that (just create a tech and try it).

However I'm not sure if that resists serialization (which could bug in Vision too). Also in that component there's walkspeed, runspeed, and "speed", which seems to alternate between both and I'm not really sure what it means.

UnitMotionTech.patch

I think the issue is that it's in the C++. But CcmpVision handles technologies already. Using the exact same stuff, here's a patch that appears to be working for that (just create a tech and try it).

However I'm not sure if that resists serialization (which could bug in Vision too). Also in that component there's walkspeed, runspeed, and "speed", which seems to alternate between both and I'm not really sure what it means.

The problem is that it needs to apply to currently moving units, not only newly created or stationary units. Last time I looked, running was sort of a hack and nothing in the simulation actually stored whether units were in the running or walking state, so it required some changes to UnitAI and possibly how run/walk animations are selected. That's my vague recollection of it anyway, applying the stats mod is trivial :)

The problem is that it needs to apply to currently moving units, not only newly created or stationary units. Last time I looked, running was sort of a hack and nothing in the simulation actually stored whether units were in the running or walking state, so it required some changes to UnitAI and possibly how run/walk animations are selected. That's my vague recollection of it anyway, applying the stats mod is trivial :)

If we just include the stat mod for now, can it be included in the comprehensive solution later? Meaning, if we include the stats mod now, it's not ideal yet, but it's also not a hack per se, it'll still be used once the real solution is implemented. We could just add something like "New movement tech support: Currently not ideal, units must become stationary at least once before their speed stat is updated." Something like that to release notes.

The problem is that it needs to apply to currently moving units, not only newly created or stationary units.

I don't think that's actually a big problem, as long as the stat change takes effect when they go stationary. I doubt it will be particularly noticable, and none of the tech files would have to change once a proper solution is implemented, so it could wait a little bit.

I think its time the game got a working preferences system, so I don't have to keep editing default.cfg. Does this work on any platforms?

A good start would be having our current settings dialog box remember its settings. Then probably adding some better options to the dialog box. Apologies if this is my error or a Mac issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Good day, I would like to ask when will the Alpha 14 and whether it normal multiplayer? (The lobby)

The date for feature freeze has been pushed back a few weeks to allow us to get more into A14, you can follow the planned release dates here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/roadmap

The multiplayer lobby is looking unlikely at this point, there are too many questions, but we'll see.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Updating the status.

Major features:

-we have exponential armor

-we could probably get the MP lobby in "shortly".

-I think Josh| is working on the Options menu, but I have no ETA on that.

-Running/Charging, Capturing Buildings, Trample Damage and conversion seem out of the equation.

I think the new music is sort of in. No idea about elephant animations.

Bugs:

-Ranged units turning bug is I believe fixed.

Performance wise;

We could probably quickly get in Kuranes' pathfinder patch (perf difference ranging from 5% to 15%, apparently, but it's better than nothing), and the RangeManager optimizations, which would improve that component's speed by about 900/1000%.

RedFox wants to commit his shader rework as soon as possible. No idea on possible performance improvement (I mean it's most likely faster, but I don't know by how much).

There are several other patches for performance, but those are trickier/impossible to review, which is annoying.

Other stuffs:

-we have a quite advanced attack notification patch, would be good to get into A14.

-we also have a (working, iirc) patch for giving elevated units a range advantage. Might want to commit or not.

-indefinite farming is being talked about, as well as regenerative resources, and new fishing behavior.

-new corral features are also being talked about.

Overall, as we ought to be in feature freeze, I'd say push back.

Edit: Ah, also we have several OOS errors with AIs in MP but that'll have to be sorted out when I finish rewriting Aegis' core, which should be possible this week.

• Like 1

On the GUI config system, there are a few things I'm waiting on/would like. 1: leper mentioned having a WIP patch for #1880 and I'd like to use the new system rather than implementing everything using the old config system. 2: On text fields, the "update" event seems to be broken and makes it significantly harder to implement some things. 3: Sliders don't exist in the GUI system, these would be perfect for audio levels and I'm going to have to use text fields or drop-downs otherwise.

As it is now, I have a number of options implemented and some basic layout. If anyone has any questions/comments I'm frequently on irc.

Edited by Josh
  • Like 1