Alpha 14 Planning

Hi guys. Let's decide what we want to see in Alpha 14 and what kind of time frame we'd like to do it in.

ALPHA 14 MAJOR FEATURES LIST - We should probably chose 3 major features from this list!

Comments: If we manage to get any 3 of these into the game all in one Alpha, that would make for an awesome release. We may have to drop 1 or 2 from the list. Some of them may already have wip patches. Initial implementations don't have to be perfectly balanced. We can work on balance later.

Graphics Options Menu

#1810, #1811,

- Related design thread.

- Who would like to work on this?

Multiplayer Lobby

git branch with updates

- Related design thread.

- Who would like to work on this? I believe there is a patch?

Exponential ArmorImplemented!!!

#1908[Patch]

- Related design thread.

- Workers: Alpha123, Quantumstate

Running/Charging

- Related design thread.

Trample damage

- Related design thread.

Capturing (buildings)

- Related design thread.

Conversion (domesticable animals, females)

- Related design thread.

Aurium did some work on that, we should try to get a WIP patch.

ALPHA 14 OTHER FEATURES LIST

New Music for Mauryans

- Omri

New Music Tracks

- Omri

Indian Elephant and African Elephant Animations

- Zaggy. Anyone else?

ALPHA 14 IMPORTANT BUG FIXES, RELEASE BLOCKERS, AND PERFORMANCE ISSUES

Ranged Units Turning Bug

- Related discussion.

- Who would like to work on this? sanderd17, sbte

Animal Sounds are Omnipresent Implemented!!!

- Discussion?

LOOKING AHEAD: ALPHA 15 FEATURE LIST

Comments: We can move anything we don't think will be done in time to this list, or from this list to the A14 list if someone wants to work on them.

UnitMotion Tech Modifier

- Related design thread.

New Farming

- Related design thread.

New Corral/Herding Features

- May require Capturing and Converting implemented first, or in conjunction.

Hero Auras

- Related tickets?

- Related design thread.

Ptolemaic Egyptians (Ptolemies)

- Related tickets?

- Related design thread.

- Art department project. Probably do lots of planning during Alpha 14 and start on assets and hopefully debut them in Alpha 15.

Minimap Buttons

- Related tickets?

- Related design thread.

• Like 1

(Just giving my opinion)

I think any 3 of the top elements would already make a strong release, and in particular running and building capturing could probably be split over two releases as they're really major gameplay element (and running might require a new pathfinder). I probably won't be able to do much of anything beyond try to fix the AI serialization for this release unless it draws until July/August.

(Just giving my opinion)

I think any 3 of the top elements would already make a strong release, and in particular running and building capturing could probably be split over two releases as they're really major gameplay element (and running might require a new pathfinder). I probably won't be able to do much of anything beyond try to fix the AI serialization for this release unless it draws until July/August.

I agree that any 3 on the features list would be great. I think it would be good to pair Capturing and Conversion in the same release, either Alpha 14 or the next.

We keep forgetting hero auras :P That itself would add a lot to game play :)

What about the art scene?

Hero auras are important (they make the game unique), but I think other features are more important to gameplay. Also, they are less 1 single feature and more a whole bunch of different features rolled into one. It'll take a lot of discussion on hero auras. I could throw it up there into the first post to add visibility to the feature.

Hero auras are important (they make the game unique), but I think other features are more important to gameplay. Also, they are less 1 single feature and more a whole bunch of different features rolled into one. It'll take a lot of discussion on hero auras. I could throw it up there into the first post to add visibility to the feature.

Agreed. But they would also span to a myriad of things, like special building bonuses female citizen bonuses etc, making a lot more distinction between civs. Doesn't matter when they come though, I just thought that it was something that we easily forget about, so I mentioned it :)

I'll focus on the Spidermonkey upgrade (#1886).

I'm trying to do that very carefully and have a close look at the details to do more than just adapting to the new API.

It should really pave the way to a multi-threaded AI and adapt the way we use Spidermonkey to use the new features and concepts that are available in the new version.

It's difficult to tell what will be ready until Alpha 14 and what not, but I'm sure I won't have enough time beside that to implement other new features.

Graphics Options Menu

- Related Tickets?

- Related design thread.

These aren't graphics specific but are relevant:

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/1810

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/1811

They should still be relevant. Though, I can't seem to find a ticket for the minimap buttons. I thought there was one.

Maybe http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/823 -- it only mentions the idle worker button, but the GUI work needed applies to any of them. There should probably be a separate ticket though for each function still needing implemented.

I like this thread Michael. Shows good leadership (y)

I can't contribute much here but I'd like to mention this: many are asking for performance issues and when/if they will be fixed. I myself noticed some difference between A13 and previous versions. Other than that, good luck everybody and I hope I can contribute some code when I get familiar with the engine. Kind of hate feeling useless, thats all :P

I like this thread Michael. Shows good leadership (y)

I can't contribute much here but I'd like to mention this: many are asking for performance issues and when/if they will be fixed. I myself noticed some difference between A13 and previous versions. Other than that, good luck everybody and I hope I can contribute some code when I get familiar with the engine. Kind of hate feeling useless, thats all :P

I amended the "Bug Fixes" section to "Performance and Bug Fixes."

I amended the "Bug Fixes" section to "Performance and Bug Fixes."

There are some changes to the website I want to make. :)

Okay!

Should I move this to the open development forum?

Why not? In the past these type of threads have been staff only but opening them up may help. (And from a "surprise" feature perspective, its a moot point because users can get an SVN copy -_- )

For my part I want to add to the Mauryan playlist (obviously), and finalize the two generic track contributions from Mike.

I'll also try to finish a few extra tracks of my own, right now I'm working on a new Romans track and a new Iberian track as well as two generic tracks.

Last, I'll look into giving "The Calm before the Storm" a smoother ending.

For my part I want to add to the Mauryan playlist (obviously), and finalize the two generic track contributions from Mike.

I'll also try to finish a few extra tracks of my own, right now I'm working on a new Romans track and a new Iberian track as well as two generic tracks.

Last, I'll look into giving "The Calm before the Storm" a smoother ending.

Great, I'll add music to the list.

There's not much left to be done for exponential armor, all that remains is tweaking unit stats to make sense with it.

I would like to add alternate attacks to the alpha 14 list. Currently units are only able to use a ranged attack OR a melee attack, not both. For example, Mauryan Maiden Guards are both archers and swordsmen. This would probably also encompass things like Roman swordsmen throwing a few javelins before engaging the enemy with swords. I'm interested in working on this, but if you feel like the other features on the list are more important I'll handle those.

Running/charging looks interesting, I don't know if that's dependent on the new pathfinder. I will take a look at that if you feel alternate attacks can wait.

Is trample damage an aura? Does it only happen when charging? Does it only happen for horse when charging and elephants all the time?

• Like 2

I like the suggestion of Alpha123 to the alternate attack, or skill, maybe can be a element gameplay, that suppressing everyone.

And is that features that change gameplay and for some units gives a big bonus if they have a special feature. For example immortals now they can be more powerful. And this can open the possibly to have new special. Units based in spy, hunt, kill with one hit. Etc

Building or unit convention is other big hit. Because the player is no forced anymore to destroy a building, especially fortress and tower.

And steal others player resources.

And stamina and running is other, now your cavalry can go fast to surprise attack, but this can work with trample attack. The gameplay changes a big step with all this.

May be implement other new command. Or the famous town bell for GUI. Check my post about list buttons.

There's not much left to be done for exponential armor, all that remains is tweaking unit stats to make sense with it.

Awesome! We'll have plenty of time to work out the kinks for it then before A14 goes live, whether we opt for a short or long release cycle, which begs the question.
I would like to add alternate attacks to the alpha 14 list. Currently units are only able to use a ranged attack OR a melee attack, not both. For example, Mauryan Maiden Guards are both archers and swordsmen. This would probably also encompass things like Roman swordsmen throwing a few javelins before engaging the enemy with swords. I'm interested in working on this, but if you feel like the other features on the list are more important I'll handle those.
Alternate attacks are interesting and add a lot to the game, and would make 0 A.D. more tactical and unique for an RTS of its type (Total War games have alternate attacks, but those games aren't exactly in the same genre).

If you'd like, please open a [Discussion] design thread regarding alternate attacks. I'll give more thoughts in the thread (mainly that there should be a few different kinds of alternate attacks).

Running/charging looks interesting, I don't know if that's dependent on the new pathfinder. I will take a look at that if you feel alternate attacks can wait.
Quantumstate was starting to look into before he disappeared, so I am not sure what to do there. Wait for him to show back up or tell you to look into it? Running and Charging needs its own thread as well.
Is trample damage an aura? Does it only happen when charging? Does it only happen for horse when charging and elephants all the time?

I think it would be related to running&charging. No trample effect unless the cavalry unit is running and/or charging. Elephants would have it regardless of their motion. So, then, perhaps two states or kinds of trample. Again, I think Quantumstate was starting to look into it. I think he was actually thinking of implementing some kind of faux-physics action where the trampled units would be tossed around or pushed.

A RTS that have skill or alternate attack and very similar to Total War was Praetorians, if you can play do it, is old an interesting something boring because you focus only in war. I play that in 2004 when i was discover 0AD.

Praetorians have charging and alternate attack, all work with stamina. When see 0AD old graphic I remember Praetorians. The weakness of praetorians is very limitated gameplay focused in scenarios and military.

Other feature is battalion system, but they don't group, like total war series. total war is already a other kind of rts mixed with turn strategic map. Is more a simulator than a old school rts. But one best and finest, TW series destroy other historical based strategy games. If you read some pages, the rise of Total War series, converges with fall of some franchises like Empire Earth, AOE,.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Alternate attacks are interesting and add a lot to the game, and would make 0 A.D. more tactical and unique for an RTS of its type (Total War games have alternate attacks, but those games aren't exactly in the same genre).

If you'd like, please open a [Discussion] design thread regarding alternate attacks. I'll give more thoughts in the thread (mainly that there should be a few different kinds of alternate attacks).

Will do.

Quantumstate was starting to look into before he disappeared, so I am not sure what to do there. Wait for him to show back up or tell you to look into it? Running and Charging needs its own thread as well.

Ah, I didn't know quantumstate was doing it. I'd say wait for him to show up again.

I think it would be related to running&charging. No trample effect unless the cavalry unit is running and/or charging. Elephants would have it regardless of their motion. So, then, perhaps two states or kinds of trample. Again, I think Quantumstate was starting to look into it. I think he was actually thinking of implementing some kind of faux-physics action where the trampled units would be tossed around or pushed.

That sounds like the best way to do it IMO. It will help with the general underpoweredness of elephants too (they're pretty big so they'll trample a lot, all the time).

That would be pretty cool. Definitely wait for quantumstate to get back in that case.

That sounds like the best way to do it IMO. It will help with the general underpoweredness of elephants too (they're pretty big so they'll trample a lot, all the time).

This is why I wish people would trust me a little more. :) Elephants are only underpowered when you look at them currently, but folks must take the long view and think about things holistically, as I tend to do. Elephants will definitely not be underpowered when they have trample and charge features.