main menu background

gab

I did an other main menu background, not as good as the original one but since a little variation is always a good thing, here it is (before/after) :

post-15289-0-11435100-1364736510_thumb.j

done using this picture( made in -440 : between -500 and 500 ^_^) :http://www.histoired...re-Penelope.jpg

this is still an hack, i switched the two foreground pictures with small transparent square, here are the new file(you need to put then in 0ad\binaries\data\mods\public\art\textures\ui\pregame\backgrounds to try it) :

post-15289-0-42852700-1364736296_thumb.p

post-15289-0-73183100-1364736299.png

post-15289-0-47880000-1364736300.png

the two small transparent square are the invisible transparent 1pixel width pictures just under hellenes1-1.png (i don't know how to make then easier to select...)

since it was done using a photo(and not redrawing all)i don't know if it is perfectly licenseproof :sweatdrop: but it seems as safe as an elephant's texture done with a photograph.

english is not my mother tongue so i may have done some ugly mistakes and misspelling...

I would be happy to help with small graphic things(or whatever i could be helpfull in) BUT (there is always a but...) i have a lot of work this year(and especialy the next month)and i'm only connected to internet the week-end

if, with such conditions, i can still be helpfull then you can count me in ^^

it seems that you mostly need references(and i haven't enought time/book to be really helpfull with that) and 3d model(i am an acceptable sketchup user(but who isn't ^^) but i don't think i'm up to your quality standart)

i could do some texturing(after a few tutorials), zbrush add that great option to do your texturing with photoshop...

(i could also draw emblems but ... you're already doing a great job with this(i like your tutorial by the way))

We're reaching the limits of my english : what do you mean by "chips" ? you're suggesting an older/damaged style ? more realistic maybe...

In fact, i like things to be clean and have cut edges but i'll try something...

yes, sketchup is magic ^-^

by the way i love your work and models (if you ever do a "build a tower/house/temple like lordgood in sketchup" tutorial, i am willing to pay for that ^^(i'd love to know you're design process))

post-15289-0-07724000-1364769422_thumb.j

i just added a texture over it(a quick trick but as long as it works well ^^), it looks more realistic( and "dirtier" ), i'll try different textures to see if it can get better this way...

the black parts feel maybe a bit odd/empty now...

post-15289-0-87689400-1364769455_thumb.p

blender's UI is quitte frightening but one day i'll try to go over it (i just need more time and 34 hours a day),

zbrush( while not free at al l)was great for organic modeling but when it comes to building....

And yes! older and damaged for authenticity :D

Why? Back in 0 A.D. it wasn't old yet ;-)

i just need more time and 34 hours a day

Having no need for sleep would help too xD

blender's UI is quitte frightening

Don't worry, you won't be using it, working with blender is all about the shortkeys. All you need is time and ... well ... some more time.

so, to learn blender, the first step would be to get rid of my mouse... it seems to be at least an efficient way to get over the UI

Don't get rid of it you need it for the actual drawing :artist: the UI just works for you after awhile then you start wishing other apps worked the same way :dirol:

Enjoy the Choice :)

is there an ongoing effort to change the main menu background? or was this something gab did for fun?

in any case, if there is any interest in changing that background, we could brainstorm some ideas and make a nice 3d rendering. if not, the existing one is perfectly fine :)

• Like 1

I would like to see the burning of the library of Alexandria as a background with people trying to save important documents from the flames and soldiers who have just burst open the gates. The librarians, flames and soldiers/background could be on different planes. I can't draw something like that, and I'm not sure anyone else wants to, but I would still love a backdrop like that :-D

• Like 2