0 A.D. in FOSS Meetings and Conferences

Jeru

It seems I'm rather busy at that time of the year, I'll only be able to go the afternoon of the 10th and on the 11th a whole day.

But we definitely need a badass T-shirt :-)

Maybe LordGood or JustinOperable could draw a badass conference-themed 0 A.D. t-shirt artwork :P It would be a total luxury, though. Most presenters probably just give their talk.

That T-shirt could be more than just for the LSM, we could have a webshop with 0 A.D. themed items like a badge for each civ, stickers, T-shirts ...

I don't know how feasable this is, but I remember seeing other open source projects having such things to bring in some money for the project.

Edited by idanwin

It would be a fun experience and it could be potentially useful for the project if people presenting are very clear about what the project needs, e.g. precisely what types of volunteer contributions, donations for a particular purpose etc. Also, if you discuss unsolved problems for discussion with the audience are a good idea, attendees can point you to people and resources.

I suggest this for the summary:

0 A.D. (pronounced “zero-ey-dee”) is a free, open-source, historical Real Time Strategy (RTS) game currently under development by Wildfire Games, a global community of volunteer game developers. As the leader of an ancient civilization, the player must gather resources from the map, raise a military force and dominate enemy factions. The project is reviewed and future prospects are discussed.
  • Like 1

Yeah of course, plus you would need a lot of promotional material. It does attract a huge crowd and in terms of project visibility it really puts your project out there and will certainly get you lots of new developers.

The best way to have a good first appearance on FOSDEM, is for example to give a lightning talk (15 minute talk), pretty easy to arrange :)

You don't need a completed project to present at FOSDEM. Certainly not for the lightning talks. The lightning talks are normally about a single component of the project. Something innovative and finished (maybe it could be the pathfinder against next year ;)

F.e., this year, Wesnoth gave a talk about the animation engine. It's a hexagon-based game, but some units come out of the borders of the hexagon. As they don't use GPU acceleration, they need to be clever in other ways, so they calculate which tiles need to be updated when something is animated. An other game, Unknown Horizons, was just talking about how they used Jenkins to continuously test their software.

You also don't need to bring promotional material if you don't have a booth. People don't expect to get something at the talks, they just expect a decent technical explanation of the subject, and a possibility to ask questions.

I didn't know about LSM btw, until a month or two ago, when it appeared on other places I follow too.

Is LSM always in the ULB? FOSDEM is, but I wonder if it's some kind of twin event (one in the winter and one in the summer).

• Like 1