===[COMMITTED] Waterfalls

Enrique

personally, i'd recommend making some additional waterfalls of varying height and width to line up with higher clifffaces

The problem with adding lots of variations is the texture space. For each waterfall variation and biome it needs its custom color and normal texture (if we want pretty rocky waterfalls with some patches of grass) So all the variations I made are around 20Mb of space just for some eyecandy (which I think it's a lot) and the textures are already looking low-res. In top of that is the problem that the textures in the terrain can tile, this makes very good texture resolution for the terrain but it's innaffordable for big gaia assets. This is a big inconvenient for having biome variations of cliffs with more than one texture, or big rocky mountains...

well what about a possible variation in which the waterfall doesn't have a rock on top of it so that, if the scenario designer wants to, they can place multiple waterfalls in a row to make one that LOOKS like its a single continuous waterfall without actually making it so? i remember in Age of Mythology it was possible to arrange waterfalls like that, not only to make singular long waterfalls but also to make very wide ones out of several individual objects (and, with some modding tools, rotate those waterfalls to simulate raging rivers)

Not sure if I understood that correctly oshron. Since the water level on a map cannot have different heights, I had to came up with a solution to not show "where" the water is coming from, that's why I hided a supposed "hole" on the rocks where the water is coming. And yes, you can place stand-alone water falling next to each other to make like a wider waterfall, but from where will it fall? just appear from mid-air or directly from a cliff?

Not sure if I understood that correctly oshron. Since the water level on a map cannot have different heights, I had to came up with a solution to not show "where" the water is coming from, that's why I hided a supposed "hole" on the rocks where the water is coming. And yes, you can place stand-alone water falling next to each other to make like a wider waterfall, but from where will it fall? just appear from mid-air or directly from a cliff?

I guess map makers can do this. There are rocks, there are bushes/grass you can use to obscure the source ... It all depends on the biome how a source is hidden.

basically, i was just asking if it would be possible for one to place multiple waterfalls and then move them around so that it LOOKS like one single waterfall running from the top of a high cliff to the bottom

another idea occurred to me earlier. i know that there's a specific water plane, but what if--for appearances--you could place physical water tiles on the map to make what appears to be an elevated pool (this would probably work well with the waterfalls)

It's a temporary solution, in the end having multiple water planes will just have to be possible.

Multiple tiles won't work, unless the ground is flat, which it rarely is. I've already made a lake though.

This was an octagonal plate using the water texture around which I elevated the gound to form mountains. Haven't tested with waterfalls yet though. But that should work.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...