Unit portrait pipeline

LordGood

I suspect he is/was very busy with school (although he's probably done with that by now) and/or life. I'd love to see him come back and do more unit portraits though, he's such an amazing artist (and is one of the reasons I started watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic but that's another story...).

Hè! Me and my lil sis started watching MLP because of him as well! xD She's seen all of them now, but before she always said it was for little girls ... (I've seen quite a few as well and I liked it a lot!)

Hè! Me and my lil sis started watching MLP because of him as well! xD She's seen all of them now, but before she always said it was for little girls ... (I've seen quite a few as well and I liked it a lot!)

Haha, wow, that's weird... my and my little sister started watching it partly because of him and some other people I respected on various forums that liked it. I can honestly say it's the best show I've ever seen. When I see LordGood again I'll have to ask him how he drew ponies, mine never turn out nearly that good. :/

Anyway, to keep this remotely on-topic, I think the icon with the eyes would make for a great quinquereme portrait, which would be nice because currently the Medium Warship has a much nicer and more powerful looking portrait than the Heavy Warship. :P Is there anything keeping the quinquereme portrait from getting in game?

EDIT: Oh, never mind, the eyed portrait is used for the trireme. IMO we should use the eyeless one for the trireme and the eyed one for the quiquereme, although the eyes should maybe be more prominent.

Edited by alpha123

Very impressive work LordGood ! You definitely master the making of unit icons !! They are all very well crafted!

The only one that I don't imagine fitting in the look of 0 A.D. is the woman. Here pose and drawing style makes it look very "Disney" or "Cartoon", not so adapted to the game I think. I'd rather see a more neutral stand of her body, something more realistic and simple.

I am so glad you guys like these. ahaha

I was thinking having the weapon distinguish the color, and perhaps a shape set into the background distinguish the type of unit. Green and blue would be reserved for civilian units and ships but from violet to yellow would be for the military units.

The only problem with this is that sometimes not a whole lot of the background can be seen.

And on a somewhat unrelated note:post-14999-0-67296100-1373925444_thumb.j

• Like 1

These are super cool, LordGood. I'm not sure if they'll end up being the "final" portraits that "ship" with the game, but they are much better than what we have now. I'd like for you to continue to hone your style toward something slightly more realistic. This is more of a "serious" game and I feel like these portraits belong more in a game like Age of Empires Online. The one that rams this home specifically is the Cart Priestess, but the others give the feeling too. I'll add these all to the SVN repository and you can see how they look! :D I also think the backgrounds may be too bright and saturated to fit with the tech icons.

One request I have would be to make the "player color" of the ship portraits blue instead of red. Helps carry the "watery blue" theme of their portraits.

@alpha, The Quinquereme and the Trireme both have eyes painted on their bows. The Bireme is the only one that doesn't

Indeed, not sure how I missed that... pretty sure I was half-asleep when I was looking at them. :P

I'm not very fond of the slinger's face, although I can't quite put my finger on why. I think it's that the shape of the hair, mouth, and eyes looks a little too cartoony. The priestess's hair and pose I don't like much at all, but everything else looks fantastic!

One suggestion: these are Carthaginians, from North Africa. Their skin should be a fair bit darker IMO.

Also, lol at the Twilight icon. How do you draw stuff like that?! It's amazing!

Thanks, but I'm not sure what you guys are going for, I divided everything into it's basic shapes and exaggerated contrast because I thought things were getting too muddy. If you want I can go in and smooth out some of those hard cartoony edges and tone down that value contrast and background aura.

And that Twilight icon has over a hundred layers in it, everything needs a layer!

These look really amazing! I think (on realism) these aren't too bad =).

All I can say is that the perspective doesn't seem quite right on a few of the icons (siege particular).

If you're looking for some realistic concept art, I've always though the Age of Empires 3 concept art was very realistic looking; it might be a nice reference.