Further AI development

Thanks for the writeup in this thread of the Aegis Bot. I am looking to help with this part of the development so it is really nice to see a well established ai. I have not contributed to any open source project so this will be my first time but I have worked with AI before, but never on an RTS. Don't expect much from me but I look forward to learning how the current AI works and hopefully I can start helping in some aspect. I have played against it a few times and it is going well I see!

• Like 1

Okay, the new version has been committed to SVN. Again, no real log changes, but tons of behind-the-door changes, so it needs testings, and I also need feedback: do you find it harder/easier than before? What should it do differently? Stuffs like that.

Hopefully it's a little faster than it used to be, I'm not really sure.

No naval support or savegame support as of yet.

• Like 1

I tried out the new AI today and it does seem more efficient.  It also seems to have given me more time before it started attacking me.  When I revealed their side of the map I could see a ton of workers and much less troops than last time.

Here is their base: S64rX4q.pngSo it looks pretty good. That is a ton of workers but they don't send a massive army to me 5 minutes in, and I was able to defeat their first attack (though it is still a nice challenge)For some reason it decided to move like 100 units at once, and you could see every unit scrambling around to find it's appropriate path so that's when I saw a bit of a lag spike, but it is certainly an improvement from my last game when the AI caused a lot of choppiness later on in the game.

Edited by RefinedCode
  • Like 1

This is a great change, very grateful to these good programmers.
Lag (I use Aegis AI): I built a 266 combat units to attack the enemy, when the troops lined up to attack, the game's frame rate from 35 frames dropped seven straight frames, the game screen became lag Oh, my God, maybe too much quantity? I think this requires further optimized, thank you!
BTW: I really hope the game is no longer able to save and load error (Aegis AI) :lol2::search::hi::hypocrite:

@ Gameboy: Lag is mostly caused by pathfinding, though the AI does contribute. Also, I wanted to message this to you to keep the thread from getting cluttered, but you can 't use the messaging system for whatever reason.

You might be able to get your old account back if you click on the "forgot password" link when you try to sign in. It's also the link below.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=lostpass

@ Mod: Please move the relevent posts the the help and feedback subforum.

I've found an interesting article that could be useful for a better optimized implementation of entity collections.

I haven't yet red all of it but maybe some of the algorithms described there could be useful. The most interesting part starts somewhere around part 3 where tree structures are explained.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa287104%28v=vs.71%29.aspx

@wraitii: save game support is still not achieved, I ask you: When can achieve this function, we are all really looking forward to the early arrival of this feature, thank you! :stinker::sword_rune::yes3::yes3::acute::acute:

He did say that it is not supported yet, so no surprise there. He also said that he is busy, and will be busy for a while. So don't expect it any time soon, maybe some time next year? Certainly not any time soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've just committed some WIP changes to aegis, which should work with Yves' changes but haven't been extensively debugged, so please report errors that could come up and weird behavior.

It should fix an error in the economy (the AI didn't actually care about full resources) so that should improve the econ a fair bit. The defense manager is being rewritten from scratch too so that could change, right now I think it's a little worse than it was before, but it's all WIP.

I've removed older AIs too.

• Like 4