Rome 2 Total War Factions

jx0umRs.jpg

Are the Romans fighting the Seleucids here?

In Magnesia against Antiochus Megas.

This is absolutely the Battle of Pydna, where the Romans defeated the Macedonians in the 3rd Macedonian War. The battle is a tragedy of epic (Greek) proportions. The Macedonian phalanx was succeeding in driving back the Roman legions. The Roman commander, even years afterward, often mentioned the professionalism of the Macedonian phalanx had amazed him and even sent the hairs on the back of his neck to stand on end. Anyway, the Macedonian phalanx (made up of lower and middle class Macedonians) had succeeded in pushing the Romans back, but the upper class Macedonian cavalry refused to charge into the fray and support the phalanx. See... the upper class was largely pro-Romans because it suited their business interest. When the Macedonian king Perseus was wounded by a stray arrow, it was all the excuse they needed for the Macedonian cavalry to flee the field and leave the phalanx defenseless on the flanks. So, eventually the Macedonian phalanx, without cavalry support, was outflanked and routed from the field. Tens of thousands of brave Macedonians were hunted down and slaughtered in the rout. This ended the Macedonian state as an independent kingdom. The home of Alexander became a rump state, under Rome's "protection." King Perseus was forced to surrender and was sent to Rome to be paraded as a captive in triumph. The only bright point of this story was that Perseus and his family was allowed to live out their lives in relative comfort as "guests" of Rome. One of Rome's rare magnanimous moments. Even though hundreds of thousands of Macedonians were sold into slavery.

This is absolutely the Battle of Pydna, where the Romans defeated the Macedonians in the 3rd Macedonian War. The battle is a tragedy of epic (Greek) proportions. The Macedonian phalanx was succeeding in driving back the Roman legions. The Roman commander, even years afterward, often mentioned the professionalism of the Macedonian phalanx had amazed him and even sent the hairs on the back of his neck to stand on end. Anyway, the Macedonian phalanx (made up of lower and middle class Macedonians) had succeeded in pushing the Romans back, but the upper class Macedonian cavalry refused to charge into the fray and support the phalanx. See... the upper class was largely pro-Romans because it suited their business interest. When the Macedonian king Perseus was wounded by a stray arrow, it was all the excuse they needed for the Macedonian cavalry to flee the field and leave the phalanx defenseless on the flanks. So, eventually the Macedonian phalanx, without cavalry support, was outflanked and routed from the field. Tens of thousands of brave Macedonians were hunted down and slaughtered in the rout. This ended the Macedonian state as an independent kingdom. The home of Alexander became a rump state, under Rome's "protection." King Perseus was forced to surrender and was sent to Rome to be paraded as a captive in triumph. The only bright point of this story was that Perseus and his family was allowed to live out their lives in relative comfort as "guests" of Rome. One of Rome's rare magnanimous moments.

Crushed, victory is victory.

tumblr_lyixettptg1qbmup8o1_500.gif

Edited by lilstewie

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

disappoint me a lot, this game, some things are cool, but for that price, is low. graphic don't make a game, the gameplay is regular, interface is beauty but hard to play. factions best than ever, Map campaing is the best of the game. 0 A.D can be do better than this "AAA". Starcraft is better a lot than this and best Graphics.

I've watched quite a few gameplay videos and wow, the unit cards are seriously unintelligible. I "get" the artistic direction they were trying to achieve. The "red fired vase" look. But they are very confusing and difficult to differentiate from a quick glance, which is what they need to do. The unit cards just need to be redone, period. Period. Also, the bottom UI in battles is HUUUUGE. Wayyyy bigger than 0 A.D.'s. It covers up about 1/3 of the screen. lol. I like the round UI buttons and overall "gradient" look to the UI, but the layouts are super confusing. And battles always seem to devolve into massive mosh pits. I feel like some of the better RTW1 mods (Rome:Total Realism, Europa Barbarorum, et al.) were way better games than this. RTW2 streamlined or dumbed down features that didn't need to be dumbed down. They decimated the family system. The campaign map is the coolest part about the game, including the evolving cities. Just about the only thing they did right with the game that I can tell.

• Like 1

even is hard to make a match vs without use tool tip, is a nightmare, the Parthians crush me. and when i try to change window. and all units are same the variastion of helmets is poor. all factions you can use looks greek. even Parthians. all faction use own helment and greek helmet, but no more variations.

when you try put low graphics all light are see units fighting in afternon all obscure, all units are same physically.

I play 3 hour but.... Is Boring I choose play with Roman Faction, but the best units in game are slingers, and skirmishes with flaming javelins , I lose 3 Generals, against missile infantry. And sooooo micro boring management. Very laggy even with low graphics. Is extremely complex. Is more a citysim mixed with Civilization game. Even Civilization is more funny.

this might be a bit off-topic... i hope not too much.

mythos_ruler said something abouth the "campaign map" and 0 a.d. I know it was a topic one or two years ago.

is the campaign of which is the word in the indiegogo-text maybe a "grand-strategy-style"-campaign with such a map? ... i mean ... this would include a whole new implemantation... but sounds very promising... the combination of round-based-campaign-map and real-time AOE-maps would be a hard thing to do. but ... wow... could be so cool. but maybe it's way too huge?

thanks for answers :-)