Hero Portraits!

JustinOperable

Are you doing portraits for only the heroes? I feel like model snapshots as portraits don't really further the feel of the game, but this painted portrait system is awesome. Perhaps we could do this for all of the units? The greek states have some already and they look great.

It'd be a lot of work for one artist though

Perhaps someone could open a forum subject for unit portraits and let the members pitch in and have the community critique.

Are you doing portraits for only the heroes? I feel like model snapshots as portraits don't really further the feel of the game, but this painted portrait system is awesome. Perhaps we could do this for all of the units? The greek states have some already and they look great.

It'd be a lot of work for one artist though

Perhaps someone could open a forum subject for unit portraits and let the members pitch in and have the community critique.

After some discussion in IRC, we conclude some time ago to use hand-made portraits only for heroes and use in-game shots for normal units. It makes easier to identify which type of unit you are going to train & 1 portrait for each unit is too much work.

@JustinOperable:

Keep them coming man! those portraits look sexy!

These look great! I don't feel Boudicca the Middle-Aged Warrior Queen (I like how you put it) looks masculine either; Mythos Ruler's narrower nose suggestion probably should do, at most.

As for the units thing, perhaps full-body portraits that don't take too much artistic licence would do, as the case already is for some of the Hellenes' units? This'd also make way for more contributing opportunities for the non-programming types. I'd love to see my stickmen in the game. :P

sorry you have issue with it. I wasn't sure if the turban was period but I thought it looked more like the sort of turban a warrior would wear. As for his hair, in another reference image of ashoka it shows his hair flowing from his turban and it seemed a more authentic representationi will probably take another pass at it, but i'm not interested in a major repaint, so if it's not good enough, it doesn't need to be included.

Edited by JustinOperable

sorry you have issue with it. I wasn't sure if the turban was period but I thought it looked more like the sort of turban a warrior would wear. As for his jstor, in another reference image of ashoka it shows his hair flowing from his turban and it seemed a more authentic representationi will probably take another pass at it, but i'm not interested in a major repaint, so if it's not good enough, it doesn't need to be included.

Most of the images of ancient India in general on the internet are no good. I only show peoples work that I can tell they used relief images, paintings, etc, etc, etc that are made from that period as references. Like that Sri Lankan painter.

turban a warrior would wear.

Nah, even most of them have long hair to knot style.

http://www.wildfireg...460#entry263084

Edited by lilstewie

http://www.thestrengthsfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/Slide023.jpg

That was the reference I was using. I figured the others wouldn't show their hair so it provided design variety. Also I liked those reference images but I just didn't imagine even an emperor would go into battle with no armor and lots of jewelry. Like I said, I might do another pass but a significant repaint isn't likely for a while.

^^^^^^^^

Someone needs to destroy that image of Ashoka that's been going around on the internet. The right image is an image of Buddha btw.

The guy who made this seriously did his homework.

http://i.imgur.com/4jDiLXO.jpg?2?2106

Anyways, I just hope they don't make Ashoka look like the portrait to be honest.

Edited by lilstewie

Anyways, I just hope they don't make Ashoka look like the portrait to be honest.

Are you refering to us there? I think we're going to be as historically accurate as possible with the Ashoka hero unit, so the portrait should also follow the same guidelines.

Can you post an image of such a turban that isn't a painting. Ie a photo of that turban style?

4jDiLXO.jpg?2?2106

AUepJJX.jpg?1?8953

7G5QLi7.jpg?1?8179

VgSFYNL.jpg?1?7248

I dont know where to find a recreated one done so well like that painting. These are the references he most have used. It's a knot of hair covered in cloth or whatever. The richer, higher status you are it seems it's even bigger.

It's a knot of hair covered in cloth or whatever.

gxJlz.jpg

Edited by lilstewie