Problems downloading, instaling and running the game.

Fack_Atreides

H
ello comunity, I'm new here and I entered in the forum for this problems.

Well, i'll start.

First: When I download the game (for Windows, i have XP) with Mozilla it laggs the browser at the end of the download. I had to try it two times to finally download the game.

Second: The file (the alpha Loucetios) laggs my PC when I try to open it. I click on it and the PC don't respond. I had to try three times for making it run. The installation was normal.

The third problem is that when I open the game it laggs my PC and I had to restart the CPU. It always happen. The map editor doesn't work too, but it doesn't lagg the PC.

Hope someone can help me. Sorry for my bad english (I speak Spanish)

Thank for reading and see you later (:
Edited by Fack_Atreides

Hi Fack those stats look a bit on the low side for this game you might try turning off all the fancy graphical eye candy but even then I don't think the game will run smoothly as you do not have much RAM. The AI will make it rather laggy even on state of the art gaming rigs with current GPU's and lots of memory.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Your specs maybe rated low, but I don't see it as a problem.

I can run 0 A.D. on a Athlon 4000+ Santiago core (Single) with a 512 stick no problem.

Graphics, a GT 7800 256MB lol and 9500 GT (nVidia) 1GB (Old spec grade that is)

Your current OS (i.e. Win XP) is either virused or you running to many processes on that machine.

Try shutting down all uneeded processes via Crt+Alt+Del in the task manager or Start/Run/Msconfig to stop them there and from starting on system boot.

That includes shutting down other programs running along side 0 A.D.

Do a virus scan unless you sure that your machine is clean and no unwanted code in on it, a system usage monitor in the task manager will show you the current CPU usage. You might want to provide that to us as well.

However, if you can't upgrade anytime soon, I will suggest that if you have any USB stick about, you need to use them as the extra RAM in the time being.

If your HDD is full this will greatly slow the performance alot too. Always keep it at 78% full.

If that doesn't work, report back ;)

Edited by Burzum

I don't have too much trouble running the game with these specs, though probably should get a better computer instead of using my parents' computer.

CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 6200, 256 MB

RAM: Rambus, 512 MB

Well, I did try to use a computer that has a Nvidia GeForce 4200 Ti, but the 0 A.D. menu background flickers. I am actually afraid of updating the drivers on the 6200, because there was a bad batch that didn't work with the world map on Stronghold Kingdoms, so I reverted and haven't bothered to update since then.

Edited by Zeta1127

First: When I download the game (for Windows, i have XP) with Mozilla it laggs the browser at the end of the download. I had to try it two times to finally download the game.

Second: The file (the alpha Loucetios) laggs my PC when I try to open it. I click on it and the PC don't respond. I had to try three times for making it run. The installation was normal.

That could be antivirus software scanning the file after the download finishes and when you open it. It would be even worse if it tried to extract all the contents from the archive, that tends to be very slow and unpacks about 1GB of highly compressed data. Do you have an antivirus program installed and if so, which one?

The third problem is that when I open the game it laggs my PC and I had to restart the CPU. It always happen. The map editor doesn't work too, but it doesn't lagg the PC.

This is likely caused by a multithreading bug in the sound manager in Alpha 12, which caused it to use almost all of the CPU, but it's much less noticeable on newer multicore CPUs. Alpha 12 is also unplayable for me on my older computers. That is fixed for Alpha 13 (ETA: a few weeks) In the meantime, you could try Alpha 11 instead. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for reporting these problems! :)

And I agree with others that you should upgrade your RAM, going from 512 MB to like 2GB is cheap and makes a huge difference for an old machine.