Dual monitor

quimkaos

Hi

I'm using Linux (debian/Ubuntu variant) with dual monitor setup. I'm also running 0 A.D. 0.0.12.

The game goes full screen and spans over the 2 monitors. for me this is unplayable. is there a way to set up the game in windowed mode or at least in a way that it goes full screen in only one screen?

You can run the game with -conf=windowed:true and use -xres=123 -yres=456 to set the resolution to something you like.

Alternatively you can create a file named local.cfg in ~/.config/0ad/config/ and put something like this inside:

windowed = true
xres = 123
yres =456

(You do not need to set the resolution, you can just resize the window but I mentioned it here for completeness.)

you may also use windowed full screen

then the window manager just removes the borders, sets the window’s resolution to that of the monitor and puts it on top.

for KWin (KDE 4) I know a way to always run 0ad in this mode(I use it and i’ts quite nice):

http://www.wildfireg...98

(I retranslate the options back to english, setting LC_ALL=C doesn’t help this case)

1. create a local.cfg with windowed=true -> http://trac.wildfire...Manual_Settings
  2. right click on the window title, select 'Advanced' -> 'Special settings for this programm'
  3. accept the infobox dialog with ok
  4. go to tab 'Size&Position'
  5. activate 'Fullscreen' -> in the dropdown to the right select 'Force' or maybe better 'Apply on Initialization'(second entry) -> set radio button to 'yes'
  6. maybe restart the game

then the game uses KWin’s fullscreen mode(windowed fullscreen); you have fullscreen with an ungrabbed keyboard(and mouse!) .

so hitting screen edges might toggle compositing effects, if you enabled such actions(I think there is one enabled by default for the upper left corner…)

so you might need to enable other options too, (eg. block compositing)

you can move the window between monitors by <ALT>+mouse drag’n’drop

Edited by luziferius

Tanks!

Changing settings to user.conf

Not using KDE... Gnome 3.6 but it's ok. Just have to use keys (wasd or cursor + ctrl) to move arrownd. the activity detection zone on the borders of the window are too small, and mouse is not limited by the game window

• 5 months later...

I'm using Aegis.

in punjab1 and difficulty mode set to medium (default), after 5-10 min i'm getting overrun, over and over, with 4 times the units i can produce. The bot technology also seems to be at last stage. even in easy mode I need to be spawning military units like mad!

in punjab2 and difficulty mode set to easy, after 5 min i already have the bot building town centres glued to my border...

this was tested multiple times ...

Used the shift+F11 feature to create a log (profile) and attached it so it can be of use

That data doesn't look too unusual. ComputePath is a bit high, but probably what you're experiencing is intermittent lag (maybe every few frames) and simply wasn't captured there.

What you could do is run profiler2, which has a web server built into the engine that streams profiling data locally to a tool that can be run in your web browser. It's not included in releases, but it's available in SVN: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/source/tools/profiler2 You need those three files, start the game and press F11 to enable the profiler, and open profiler2.html. I don't know if we have a tutorial yet for how to use it, but there are some details and screenshots here. When the game lags, you should be able to identify frames in the profiler2 tool that take a relatively long period of time, much longer than 15-20 ms. Those will be the cause of your lag.