Less OP Mauryans

60and80

I hope I'm not reviving a dead thread...it seems little older than a week or so.

Don't worry about posting in old threads in this forum :) As long as the discussion is not obviously over there's no reason to look at the date of the last post as long as you have something useful to say - which you obviously do :)

• 3 weeks later...

Right. I've now come to the conclusion that they definitely aren't OP.

Mythos gave them a cavalry swordsmen in SVN fairly recently, and that has gone a long way (they can at least now counter enemy siege), but they're still regarded as slightly underpowered by the core multiplayer community because they only have elephants for siege, which are expensive and still go down rather easily.

Elephants eat greek hoplites for breakfast though. I was really surprised that spears do not counter elephants.

But they have serious problems with ranged units. They can't catch them and go down pretty fast.

Btw, aren't elephants a bit too slow. I checked the speeds of a persian war elephant, and a persian cavalry spearman, and the walking speed is 7.5 for the elephant, and 10.5 for the horse. The charging speed is 12 for the elephant, and 25 for the horse.

It's also the even worse with the maurians: the champion elephant has a walking speed of 7, and the cavalry javelinist 11.5. For charging speeds: 14 and 28.5

While if you look up their speeds, horses have the following average speeds:

• 6.4 kmh walking
  • 13-19 kmh trotting
  • 19-24 kmh lope
  • 40-48 kmh gallop

An elephant has the speeds

• 10 kmh walk speed
  • 40 kmh charge speed

So you see there's not a very big difference in charging speeds. And furthermore, as elephants don't change their running mode, they can gradually speed up without losing a lot of extra energy. While a horse has to change its run mode to something more energy consuming (e.g. trot to lope).

I think speeding up the elephants could make them more interesting (and more realistic) to use, without changing the armour and attack stats.

http://www.elecam.org/Downloads.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse

Michael nerfed the elephants' speed because they were too fast, already, i don't think it's likely that their walking speed will be raised. They were not made to take down (ranged) cavalry, but to run amok slow infantry, breaking their formation more through fear than through actual damage. The cavalry couldn't stand a direct confrontation with elephants because they lacked their brute strength and enough agility to dodge their attacks. To deal with the elephants a combination of archers (to take down the riders) and spearmen (to take down the elephants) was used, but only after their initial charge, when the beasts were scattered around and far from their allies, then they could finally be surrounded, and even then it was no easy task (the elephants still had the advantage of their speed and brute force).

• 4 years later...

Yes, I think so.....

On 3/29/2013 at 7:15 PM, Pedro Falcão said:

Michael nerfed the elephants' speed because they were too fast, already, i don't think it's likely that their walking speed will be raised. They were not made to take down (ranged) cavalry, but to run amok slow infantry, breaking their formation more through fear than through actual damage. The cavalry couldn't stand a direct confrontation with elephants because they lacked their brute strength and enough agility to dodge their attacks. To deal with the elephants a combination of archers (to take down the riders) and spearmen (to take down the elephants) was used, but only after their initial charge, when the beasts were scattered around and far from their allies, then they could finally be surrounded, and even then it was no easy task (the elephants still had the advantage of their speed and brute force).

Yes, I think so