Chinese and mauryan in next Alpha

Hi! I have discovered the existence of 0 A.D. Rise of the East mod, that strives to bring China as a civilization into the game, meticulously researched to be as historically accurate as possible. In addition to the civilization, the Scion development plan to implement a full campaign featuring recreations of famous historical moments, new random maps and other additions to enhance the gameplay experience! http://www.moddb.com/mods/rote

This mod almost seems complete... I propose to add in the next alpha of 0 A.D. besides the completed Mauryas also the Chinese and the other additions of this Mod. What do you say of it? The next alpha will be the "asian dynasties" of 0 A.D. :) Sorry for my english,but i'm italian! :P

Edited by Iskandar

Mauryans will make their official debut in the next Alpha, but the Chinese will not. The last I heard they were pretty far from being completed. It's easy to show off nice stuff if you don't have to show the things which haven't been added yet ;) Either way they want to keep it a mod, to show what can be done via modding, and for that matter to keep us working on making the game support modding as much as possible :)

I much rather see the Chinese than the Hellenic Egypt. I have been hearing that the Ptolemaic military is basically Macedonian styled. With very minimal Egyptian influence. This is kinda disappointing because the game has so many Gerco-Roman factions already.

A faction like the Qin would be amazing! And it would invite other demographics into the game.

Qin and Maurya would represent Asia

Edited by lilstewie

I would much rather see the Chinese in a mod that would do their greatness justice, than have them oddly lumped in in a Mediterranean-centric game.

0 AD is a Mediterranean-centric game?? I just thought it was empires from 500BC-0AD??

They sure are doing Mauryans justice btw.

Edited by lilstewie

Well, judging by the civilizations, especially the original six, yes.

http://wildfiregames...d/page.php?c=38

Not really

The first edition of 0 A.D. will allow the player to control any of six ancient civilisations from the pre-common era. Each culture will be represented at the peak of its civilisation, somewhere along the timeline of 500 B.C. to 1 B.C.

They even put the Mauryans in who arent even close to the Mediterranean. So it's not completely restricted to that area.

Edited by lilstewie

You guys are talking as if the Chinese won't be playable at all, which isn't the case. The major problem is that they're not finished yet, so probably it'd be better to let them finish. Also the choice to include their civ isn't ours for us to make, it's their team's choice. I'd, personally, be very flattered to have my mod distributed with the original game, but we must ask them first.

It is true that the focus began with Rome, especially given that part of 0 A.D.s origin was the Rome at War mod pack for Age of Kings :) As we've had time to add more civilizations we've expanded, but we still have maintained the focus on the Mediterranean civs and the civs they came in contact with, which easily includes the Mauryans, the Chinese are a bit more of a stretch. But yeah, as I said before, the main reason for not including them in the main game is that the mod team wishes for it to be a separate mod :)

0 AD is a Mediterranean-centric game?? I just thought it was empires from 500BC-0AD??

They sure are doing Mauryans justice btw.

it's always been my understanding that the focus of 0ad was originally Rome and civilizations that they encountered, which is why i've suggested time and again that the original pack focus on exactly that (with the exception of the Mauryans, which the Romans didn't encounter but the Greeks did), the second pack have a similar focus but in the 1-500ad period, and then two other packs for each respective period for the "non-Roman" world, which would be where alot of Asian cultures come up, not only the Chinese but also the Japanese and Koreans as well as some from other continents, like the Aksumites of eastern Africa and the Mayans of Mesoamerica (whose civilization was at its height or approaching it during the 1-500ad period)

Hey guys,

We're really excited that you're all so eager to play as the Chinese. Just to reiterate, we have insisted that the mod remain independent of the "official" game, but it's for reasons you already know so I'll be brief. The mod seems relatively complete because the building set is almost comprehensive. What we still lack is unit textures and technical functionality for the navy. We've designed some very particular and unique concepts that require slightly more complicated implementation (for example, our fire ship doesn't behave much like a normal ship at all - more on that in the future). Also, we intend to wait a bit longer to see if a trigger system ever comes to fruition - we believe that a full-featured story-based campaign could be the best way to envelop players into our Eastern world, and if there's any intention of WFG to pursue inclusion of triggers in the final release, we think it's worth the wait.

If you guys have any other questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Our biggest deficit in contributors right now is in 2D art (i.e. textures), so if you think you've got a knack for it and find you have some spare time, feel free to drop us a line. We'd be happy to have you.

Hey guys,

We're really excited that you're all so eager to play as the Chinese. Just to reiterate, we have insisted that the mod remain independent of the "official" game, but it's for reasons you already know so I'll be brief. The mod seems relatively complete because the building set is almost comprehensive. What we still lack is unit textures and technical functionality for the navy. We've designed some very particular and unique concepts that require slightly more complicated implementation (for example, our fire ship doesn't behave much like a normal ship at all - more on that in the future). Also, we intend to wait a bit longer to see if a trigger system ever comes to fruition - we believe that a full-featured story-based campaign could be the best way to envelop players into our Eastern world, and if there's any intention of WFG to pursue inclusion of triggers in the final release, we think it's worth the wait.

If you guys have any other questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Our biggest deficit in contributors right now is in 2D art (i.e. textures), so if you think you've got a knack for it and find you have some spare time, feel free to drop us a line. We'd be happy to have you.

how many civilizations have Rise of East? i am curious, and sorry iam not send to you my artwork. i am not time for theses days. even my own Projects.

i am very ineteresting in help all 0.A.D Projects (Aristeia , Rise of East, Main Project)