Can appear in Chinese?

My friend Jonathan is an American, he was studying in China, he is learning Chinese, I introduce him to play this game (0 AD), he liked to play this game, his friends liked this game, but theyEnglish is not good, they hope this game can support Chinese (Chinese language version), my friend Jonathan entrusted to me, the development team can help them, thank you! :stinker::lol2::search:

• Like 1

The problem is that nobody has yet done the work to implement a proper localisation system.

At the moment you'd have to replace a lot of .js, .xml, .json, .cpp and .h files and create a new custom build for each language.

Then with each code change you'd have to check your localized version and adapt it for compatibility.

That doesn't make sense and is too much work.

Here's a ticket about that:

http://trac.wildfire...s.com/ticket/67

Having the game available in different languages is definitely something we aim for, but it didn't have priority until now because the game is still under heavy development.

I think we've been making a mistake not to let people translate the game over the past years. Not all the text verbatim, but some words and phrases we know we'll need. What are the odds that we'll find all these people again when we actually need and want translations? Better to put a system in place now, and let people work on it gradually over time. Depending on how much effort that would require and how easily it could be maintained, of course.

I don't feel it's much of a need right now, Ben, but if you guys really manage to implement the system, I'd gladly compromise myself of translating each alpha version into Portuguese. After all, there is a lot of code behind the game, but not that much info on the player's UI (...yet). I guess in less than a week we'd translate everything.

Well you can't translate it now, not very effectively anyway. We'll need to implement a translation system first. The English text is all scattered throughout the code, scripts and data files.

My point was simply that we shouldn't kick that can down the road until the game text is considered "stable", since: a.) I don't see that happening, b.) it will take time and people are making offers to help every week, and c.) it wouldn't hurt to have the capability in place, it's not like we can be forced to accept translations if we're not ready. Or we could decide to keep the game English-only, that seems like a poor choice but still better than indecision IMO.

Translators are very easy to find. If you start an open project (so without any restrictions on who can contribute translations) on Launchpad, you can get 0AD translated to all major languages in a week time.

The biggest part of the work would indeed be to make the game translatable, in some supported localisation file type.