===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan light & medium Warships

Enrique

It would be awesome if you could add a few more poligons to the sails or smoth them - if they aren't already smoothed, because with the new shader material it looks square-ish:

iBdnBVi.jpg

Not sure it this was an issue with the old shaders too, but... anyways, if you guys feel that that's okay, I'm fine with it the way it is :P

It's just happening mostly with the sun around 12'o clock.

It would be awesome if you could add a few more poligons to the sails or smoth them - if they aren't already smoothed, because with the new shader material it looks square-ish:

iBdnBVi.jpg

Not sure it this was an issue with the old shaders too, but... anyways, if you guys feel that that's okay, I'm fine with it the way it is :P

It's just happening mostly with the sun around 12'o clock.

That appears to be because he forgot to set those faces smooth.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you guys mean. If you are referring to shadow artifacts (like sawing shadows) that's probably lack of polygons, and can be caused due to sun's position.

If you refer to the black line along the sails from top to bottom, that could be 1. the shadow of the rope going from the top of the mast, 2.- The black pixels outside the margin of the sail textures "bleed" inside the UV islands and shows the black line (I think it's both)

This second case is more visible when zoomed out. I'll take a look at it when scaling the three sail boat up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e96orfydl4g7v56/mauryan-LargeBoat-2.zip

I tweaked the texture for the large boat by adding more padding to remove bleeding. I also added a bit more geometry to the sails to remove that awkward shading. The collada file contains the texture and the model with the proprs.

@Enrique: I think I figured out why the pivot of the model changes upon exporting. It seems that whenever I export the main mesh (in this case the boat) along with those prop points (helpers), the pivot point assumes the average position of the boat and the helpers. That's why the water appears above the hull when you import it in the game engine. At this point I don't know how to prevent the pivot point to move when exporting, but I'll try to find a solution.

-nick

• Like 1

As for the smaller boat, I'm not sure what's wrong with it. It should have smoothing groups and shade correctly. I just looked at my model in 3ds max and it's fine. Perhaps there's something in the collada export options that is causing this. I'll look into it and come back later with any updates

Nice start Ndragu.

I don't know if it's the camera angle but the ship looks too wide now. I imagine the warships being narrower and the merchant ship about the wide of your last picture.

Another thing is that I think the deck should be a little lower, it looks too close to the edge of the ship now.

Keep it up! :)

Hello Ndragu,

Sorry for replying so late. I've updated the warship with your last model and replaced with the texture you provided. I've scaled the ship to fit other's triremes scales. The shadow thing in the sails is fixed ;) It's looking good.

Please proceed finishing details with this light warship and let's get it in-game! :)

Here's the file: https://www.dropbox....mBoat-2sail.zip

It has the collada file, the texture with player color and a txt file with the prop names. Unfortunately, I don't know how to make the pivot point of the boat to stay the same when exporting. It always assumes the average distance between the boat and the prop points, thus probably making the water go above the boat's deck. Also, the scale of the boat is off. Sorry about that, I'm not sure how to fix those issues.

-nick

edit- also, is there anything else that needs to be modeled in the meantime? I looked a bit through the forum, but it seems that every task is taken care of by somebody.

Edited by ndragu

Hello Ndragu!

I'm in the process of getting your new ship into the game. The ship it's centered! :D but a little below the waterplane. Easy fix ;)

I'm scaling it like other light warships. I'll post in-game screens soon and mention problems if any ;)

Regarding your next task... I've asked paperkat about the status of the merchant ship. He hasn't posted in a while and maybe he has no fee time to finish it. It would be great if he can post his model and if you're ok with it, you could texture it. I think there aren't any more high priority tasks for this alpha release (speaking of modelling).

-In the meantime you can try your hand at unit texturing if you're in the mood :P

-If you prefer modelling, you can try some non-priority tasks like a generic african mini-faction. (see last spoiler of this first post http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16220)

-Or if you prefer other tasks than texture/model you could make some research about the next official faction: Ptolemies. Finding references, information, sketching, drawing some concepts...