===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Merchant Ship

Enrique

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks!

The oar is supposed to be quite long, (the head being predominantly under the water) and operated by a unit in the back of the boat. I see your point but it was kinda supposed to be that way so maybe I will just leave that as a possible change for the future.

I have a question about lightmapping however, do you need me to generate one or are they even used in the game? :S

To me, the main sail looks sort of like a piece of cloth would if it was hanging from four points parallel to the ground, which sort of bugs me. It's not a really that big a deal, but if you feel like fixing it, that would be cool (unless you actually got it from something hanging vertically).

@Enrique: We could put AO on ships, but maybe with some limitations, like making sure anything that might move (oars, maybe the sails) isn't baked in the AO.

Update :)

I adjusted the UVs slightly at the top of the sail, and made a few changes here and there. The icons on the sails and rear flag will be the player colour areas.

I have left the barrells there just for placement but the crates I am keeping.

Any pointers etc etc welcome :)

post-15180-0-62261100-1362485619_thumb.j

• Like 2

Looks good :)

Maybe some variation on the crates color (add a little red to get more brownish), or leave some of them open showing some goods inside (you can find fruits and other food textures in almost every struct texture).

This will give plenty of color variation on the deck and give the impression that has a lot of different goods reinforcing the "merchant" aspect :P

Other than that I think it's ready to sail :)

Here we go!

Changes made:

Crates texture & Goods

Oar length ( it WAS definitely too long! :D )

A few others here and there :P

Ropes & Sails are double sided and the player alpha is done.

I didn't create a second UV set

I have performed a mesh cleanup so it should be game ready.

:)

Here is the dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2lzfehniniind8/Merchant%20Ship.rar

Let me know if there are any problems ;)

post-15180-0-87046900-1363598830_thumb.j

Edited by paperkat
  • Like 2

Looking awesome!

Please add it into a zip file in .obj format with the texture in .png and I'll take care of the rest to get it in-game ;)

You can post the zip with the file and the texture here, you'll find a button to attach files when you click "More Reply Options" next to the "Post" button ^_^

The war ships and the merchant ships are really similar, could something be done to differentiate them a little bit more?

LoL. Mauryan warships and merchant ship will have even different wood texture. You'll have no problem to differentiate them. Just wait to see them in-game next to each other.

Furthermore, they have different symbols on the sails. If someone has not clear which one is it, it's not paying attention lol