Civ: Phoenicians

Atenmeses52

What about Phoenician military, how are you going to portray them? Are you going to portray them as Middle Eastern based infantry with chariot as the main arm and supported by mercenaries or an army based on Hellenic style citizen army with the support of foreign mercenaries and auxiliaries. As far as i know, Phoenician wasn't a military superpower but a collection of city states competing for their personal interest.

Very THank you Crooker Philosopher, but, im focus in Buildings. in Civic Centre, Barracks, Fortress, Market, may be Cavalry Building.

This a Version Alpha of Civ Center.

M5XK1Qv.png

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

More Progress, anyone can like to Help me? I4XIRoO.png Remember this a Learning Project, im not good as 3D Artist, yet ;)

Is starting to look good. The stairs look a bit strange, maybe you should try some different stair styles

Scaling the whole model up a bit along the z axis could also be a good idea, it looks a bit flat.

Edited by idanwin

Is starting to look good. The stairs look a bit strange, maybe you should try some different styles

Scaling the whole model up a bit along the z axis could also be a good idea, it looks a bit flat.

Help me with that. im not good enough with Models.

i post a link if you can do it something, tell me how put Props and how Texturized.

Later post the link.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

(in blender)

Scaling: select everything with 'a' and scale with 's'

About the stairs I'm not sure, but the sides of the stairs look ... unreal. There should be a slope, a wall or stairs on the sides as well.

I like that gate in the last picture you posted, I wanna make it!!! xD

(in blender)

About the stairs I'm not sure, but the sides of the stairs look ... unreal. There should be a slope, a wall or stairs on the sides as well.

"s" hmm, now i know XD, that mean more little but add some other levels?

(in blender)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-yfI72HW_VcVF82MGo1LVVoR28/edit?usp=sharing

if you have some time.

History I like this is short and Invites to play with Faction.

Phoenicia (Ugarit) is the country has been on the Levantine coast of the Mediterranean Sea. This land is famous for its cereals of olive oil, wine, purple dye and cedar wood. The production of for these products is always a demand. What makes this grow and flourish the rich trading city of Ugarit, Byblos, Sidon, Tyre and Arwad. Phoenicians - not only great traders, but also unmatched sailors, who have excellent navigational skills. Phoenician cities have a fleet consisting of the best ships of the time - powerful, with two rows of oars - bireme. This allows the Phoenicians have dominion over the seas, to expand its trade influence in the eastern Mediterranean and increase wealth. Army Phoenicians formed from a relatively small layer of landowners. However, it has little meaning until the Phoenician cities are rich. In case of war their coffers that could attract a lot of mercenaries. It is unimaginable wealth and commercial influence of the Phoenicians drew attention of the great powers of Egypt and Hatti, and the robbers- "Hapiru" from the neighboring from Amurru. They dream to master the rich Levantine coast and the Phoenician cities to impose a heavy tribute. Will the Phoenicians to defend their freedom…

Source: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?371693-Bronze-Age-Total-War-(Preview-amp-download)

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A good Phoenician hero unit I can think of would be King Hiram I of Tyre, a 10th century B.C. contemporary of Kings David and Solomon.

"Founded at the start of the third millenium B.C., Tyre originally consisted of a mainland settlement and a modest island city that lay a short distance off shore. But it was not until the first millenium B.C. that the city experienced its golden age. In the 10th century B.C. Hiram, King of Tyre, joined two islets by landfill. Later he extended the city further by reclaiming a considerable land area from the sea."

http://www.middleeast.com/tyre.htm

"Hiram, also called Huram, or Ahiram, Phoenician king of Tyre (reigned 969-936 BC) who appears in the Bible as an ally of the Israelite kings David and Solomon.

"Hiram maintained friendly relations with Israel, supplying Solomon with men and materials for the construction of the Temple at Jerusalem and cooperating with him in Mediterranean and Red Sea trading voyages. Solomon gave him tribute and Galilean territory in return."

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/266762/Hiram

sphere.gif King Hiram and King David

King Hiram (also called HURAM, or HIRAM, Phoenician King of Tyre) (reigned 969-936 BC), appears in the Bible as an ally of the Israelite kings David and Solomon.

The Biblical account of a growing friendship between King Hiram of Tyre and the Kings of Israel was an introductory phase for a more important events which included military alliances and cooperation not only during King David's time but also during the reign of King Solomon.

". David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years. 9. So David dwelt in the fort, and called it the city of David. And David built round about from Millo and inward. 10. And David went on, and grew great, and the LORD God of hosts was with him. 11. And Hiram king of Tyre sent messengers to David, and cedar trees, and carpenters, and masons: and they built David an house. 12. And David perceived that the LORD had established him king over Israel, and that he had exalted his kingdom for his people Israel's sake."3

King Hiram's enemies were the Philistines, who kept the Tyrians and Sidonians from prospering on the sea. They were King David's first enimies. The latter, by training the Israelite infantry, especially the bowmen, he proved more than a match for Philistine and other foes who employed horses and chariots. In addition, King Hiram made common cause with King David, forming a land and sea alliance that endured into Solomon's reign. Solomon, accordingly, inherited a considerable empire, along with a Phoenician ally of prime importance for naval and merchant-marine operations.

sphere.gif
sphere.gif King Hiram and King Solomon

Hiram maintained friendly relations with Israel, supplying King Solomon (Hebrew SHLOMO (fl. mid-10th century BC), son and successor of David and traditionally regarded as the greatest king of Israel, with men and materials for the construction of the Temple at Jerusalem and cooperating with him in Mediterranean and Red Sea trading voyages. The Temple was the crowning achievement of Solomon's vast building program his capital, Jerusalem. Solomon turned to skilled Phoenician builders, who helped cut and assemble stone and wood for the Temple at Jerusalem (1 Kings 5). Today the best examples of Phoenician sacred architecture are the temple of Astarte at Kition, the sanctuary at Eshmun, and a small shrine at Zaraphath. Phoenicians often constructed stone walls with vertical piers of ashlar blocks laid in an alternating pattern of header and stretcher. The area between the piers was filled with irregular field stones.

In return Solomon sent grain and olive oil to Hiram king of Tyre, and even Galilean territory was given to him (1 Kings 5), although it was not to his liking.

The Biblical account of building the Temple:

"I Kings 5:

1. And Hiram king of Tyre sent his servants unto Solomon; for he had heard that they had anointed him king in the room of his father: for Hiram was ever a lover of David.

2. And Solomon sent to Hiram, saying,

3. Thou knowest how that David my father could not build an house unto the name of the LORD his God for the wars which were about him on every side, until the LORD put them under the soles of his feet.

4. But now the LORD my God hath given me rest on every side, so that there is neither adversary nor evil occurrent.

5. And, behold, I purpose to build an house unto the name of the LORD my God, as the LORD spake unto David my father, saying, Thy son, whom I will set upon thy throne in thy room, he shall build an house unto my name.

6. Now therefore command thou that they hew me cedar trees out of Lebanon; and my servants shall be with thy servants: and unto thee will I give hire for thy servants according to all that thou shalt appoint: for thou knowest that there is not among us any that can skill to hew timber like unto the Sidonians.

7. And it came to pass, when Hiram heard the words of Solomon, that he rejoiced greatly, and said, Blessed be the LORD this day, which hath given unto David a wise son over this great people.

8. And Hiram sent to Solomon, saying, I have considered the things which thou sentest to me for: and I will do all thy desire concerning timber of cedar, and concerning timber of fir.

9. My servants shall bring them down from Lebanon unto the sea: and I will convey them by sea in floats unto the place that thou shalt appoint me, and will cause them to be discharged there, and thou shalt receive them: and thou shalt accomplish my desire, in giving food for my household.

10. So Hiram gave Solomon cedar trees and fir trees according to all his desire.

11. And Solomon gave Hiram twenty thousand measures of wheat for food to his household, and twenty measures of pure oil: thus gave Solomon to Hiram year by year.

12. And the LORD gave Solomon wisdom, as he promised him: and there was peace between Hiram and Solomon; and they two made a league together.

13. And king Solomon raised a levy out of all Israel; and the levy was thirty thousand men.

14. And he sent them to Lebanon, ten thousand a month by courses: a month they were in Lebanon, and two months at home: and Adoniram was over the levy.

15. And Solomon had threescore and ten thousand that bare burdens, and fourscore thousand hewers in the mountains;

16. Beside the chief of Solomon's officers which were over the work, three thousand and three hundred, which ruled over the people that wrought in the work.

17. And the king commanded, and they brought great stones, costly stones, and hewed stones, to lay the foundation of the house.

18. And Solomon's builders and Hiram's builders did hew them, and the stonesquarers: so they prepared timber and stones to build the house."

Sources:

1. The Politics of Aristotle, trans. Benjamin Jowett (Colonial Press, 1900), pp. 49-51.
  2. Aristotle on the Carthaginian State, The Politics Of Aristotle, J.E.C. Welldon, tr. (New York: Macmillan, 1893), bk. 2, ch. 11
  3. II Samuel 5: 4
  4. I Kings 5

http://phoenicia.org/govern.html

Edited by Zophim
  • Like 1