[Eyecandy] Sign Posts / Milestones

• 2 months later...

You can put my models on there as well :-) I'm uploading all my models/maps to MEGA now. There's not much on there yet at the moment though... 0 A.D. @MEGA

i Uploaded a G-Drive of Fallen Empires Studio. we are not only Bronze DLC Civilization Packs. ;) we are Modders.

I wan a Download Section. very soon we are in github.

for now: http://fallen-empires.hol.es/

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 1 month later...

This is a brainstorming thread, correct? Sorry, I have been lurking off and on for a couple of years now.

For both the Gauls and Britons, apparently wooden figures could be used to delineate their territory (see bottom of this page). While I was at the National Museum of Ireland -- Archaeology, they said that these figures would sometimes be placed at territorial boundaries. Miranda J. Green also lists them in her book The World of the Druids. Both mention that they could also have religious/spiritual connotations. For the Ancient Britons, cairns could serve a similar purpose, although they are/were typically used to mark any site of importance (e.g. a burial site).

Thanks for confirming, idanwin.

So, if we have the Romans, Hellenes & Celts covered. That leaves the Carthaginians, Iberians, Persians & Mauryans.

I have to admit, I know far less about these last four cultures than the previous three. However, Wikipedia does have some information which sounds familiar from my Classics courses. In particular, Carthaginian Cippi (sg. cippus) which are similar to Roman stelae (see also). Iberians seem to be pretty hard to pin down as Wikipedia lists two groups -- Western & Central -- which might have some sort of territorial markers. The Western group uses stelae while the Central group might use Bulls. Using bulls would certainly be exotic. From my Ancient Near Eastern class, I remember stelae/stele being used by Near Eastern groups/peoples like the Code of Hammurabi, but not as much for territory demarcation. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of this book with me at University, but I remember it having a lot of images and being very interesting. Possibly someone will find Persian territorial demarcation features there. The Mauryans could possibly make use of the Pillars of Ashoka.

For the Ptolemies, variants of an obelisk might be useful.

Also, I realize that Wikipedia is not an ideal source, but it can provide a good starting point to find better sources. Out of all of the groups covered, I feel the least comfortable about the Iberians. There seems to be a lack of information about how they might have demarcated territory. And, where there is information, the various Iberian peoples seemed to vary their expression of territory demarcation (unlike the Celts...possibly).

Hopefully this information was useful.

• 3 weeks later...